EOS R related announcements coming for CP+ [CR2]

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I have never seen a statement by Canon Executive about this on the next R. I might have missed it. I have seen plenty of speculation on this forum by members. I hope they are correct.

Canon has been on the record in multiple interviews saying things like "Of course we're looking at IBIS", as well as the now infamous slide during a presentation:
610f46ce4cdf452fb4388321168b8540.jpg

But as you say, that's not "next", but "future".

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Being out of $ can be a huge advantage, it forces you to wait, which often means benefitting from a future price decrease, cashback or any kind of promotion...once you're solvent again.
This is what I tell myself for consolation, since I'm presently broke.
R/RF have caused me a real GAS problem that exceeds my ability to satisfy my irrational desire. :cry: Just a week before buying the R I told my wife I am prefectly happy with EF. I was obviously lying to her and myself. Then I lied to myself again: I am perfectly happy with my EF glass and the RF 24-105mm f/4L. Lies, lies, lies!!!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Oct 24, 2019
The new body does not concern me. I am wondering what the new lenses will be. Will they both be "L"? Maybe a fast 135mm prime (f/1.8 or f/1.8?) and fast 70- xxx zoom (f/2?)? I'm tapped out for cash for the next year or more, so no rush. Still, I would like to see either of those.
though 135mm is not out of the picture, I believe with both the 70-200mm and 85mm 1.2L portrait photographers have gotten a lot of love. Rs will also be for architecture and landscape, don't think they care for 135mm.

Upvote 0
Oct 24, 2019
R/RF have caused me a real GAS problem that exceeds my ability to satisfy my irrational desire. :cry: Just a week before buying the R I told my wife I am prefectly happy with EF. I was obviously lying to her and myself. Then I lied to myself again: I am perfectly happy with my EF glass and the RF 24-105mm f/4L. Lies, lies, lies!!!
for me the RF 28-70mm has cured GAS quite a bit, shot 90% of my images with it - don't need overlapping primes.
But I want a wide/astro combination lens, 14mm Samyang is not flexible enough, 14-28mm F2 I would carry around.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
though 135mm is not out of the picture, I believe with both the 70-200mm and 85mm 1.2L portrait photographers have gotten a lot of love. Rs will also be for architecture and landscape, don't think they care for 135mm.
You might be correct, however, since portrait photography is by far the biggest sector I am expecting to see another fast portrait lens very soon. Faster than f/2.8. A 135mm could fill that void, which is still there despite the 70-200. 135mm on the 70-200 is nothing like that of a 135mm f/2 or faster. If not right away, then later in the year.

Then again, it might just be two more non-L RF lenses. Doubt it.

EDIT: Don't underestimate the desire by some portrait photographers to have a high resolution camera.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The original R was rushed and not competitive with Sony. Looking forward to the new R being better than a Sony.
Not sure I buy that it was "rushed" - given it comes on the back of an all new mount and an apparently very good range of new lenses (I say 'apparently', as I don't yet have an R).

Could it have been even better? Might it not be the best FF mirrorless at the point of its release? Well, arguably not. But it feels unfair to say it was "rushed".

Having said that, I share your confidence that the next iteration will be even better (y)

Just my 2c.

Upvote 0

gbc

Oct 19, 2018
At the moment there's no full-frame Canon mirrorless camera with a usable EVF for fast action (they both have terrible blackout) so yes, there's a reason for a new camera that has a higher resolution than the coming 1DX Mark III, an OVF and a faster AF and burst rate.
At first, the blackout on the R during fast action was a real turn off for me. But now that I've used it alongside my 5dIV for a year and a half, I've come to realize how dependent I've become on the EVF, to the point where I blow a lot of exposures now when I'm shooting with the 5D. I had no plans to get rid of the 5D and if I had take one camera on an important shoot that'd be the one, but if there's a more pro-level R coming with even the slightest improvement in the blackout situation, I think I'll take that over the lack of EVF in a new 5D model now. Sure, the EVF has made me a little lazier in thinking about my exposure settings, but that's the way things are going and they're not going back. I think I'm all-in on the R going forward.

Upvote 0

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
At first, the blackout on the R during fast action was a real turn off for me. But now that I've used it alongside my 5dIV for a year and a half, I've come to realize how dependent I've become on the EVF, to the point where I blow a lot of exposures now when I'm shooting with the 5D. I had no plans to get rid of the 5D and if I had take one camera on an important shoot that'd be the one, but if there's a more pro-level R coming with even the slightest improvement in the blackout situation, I think I'll take that over the lack of EVF in a new 5D model now. Sure, the EVF has made me a little lazier in thinking about my exposure settings, but that's the way things are going and they're not going back. I think I'm all-in on the R going forward.
No matter what people say, I have a lot of respect for the EOS-R and I also tend to use it more than my 5D Mark IV now but for fast lateral motion photos the blackout is bad. It is very easy to lose sight of the target, especially for small, fast birds. Otherwise, I think it's fine for any kind of sports or even wildlife photography. I had no issues shooting large or slower birds neither, so for most of the time it works great for me.
In addition to this, it requires no AFMA and I can adjust the EVF diopter so that I can playback photos, change settings or browse menus without reading glasses; you can't beat that!:)

Upvote 0

Do you find that your RF lenses tend to go to face/eye detect mode much more often than adapted EF lenses? If so, I wonder if this is due to the increased bandwith communication between the RF lend body...

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Do you find that your RF lenses tend to go to face/eye detect mode much more often than adapted EF lenses? If so, I wonder if this is due to the increased bandwith communication between the RF lend body...
I have no idea. I udsed the EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II for about an hour before deciding to sell all my EF gear and the RF 24-105. I never compared.

Upvote 0

gbc

Oct 19, 2018
No matter what people say, I have a lot of respect for the EOS-R and I also tend to use it more than my 5D Mark IV now but for fast lateral motion photos the blackout is bad. It is very easy to lose sight of the target, especially for small, fast birds. Otherwise, I think it's fine for any kind of sports or even wildlife photography. I had no issues shooting large or slower birds neither, so for most of the time it works great for me.
In addition to this, it requires no AFMA and I can adjust the EVF diopter so that I can playback photos, change settings or browse menus without reading glasses; you can't beat that!:)
It kind of just occurred to me while thinking about the blackout and also how I seem to be taking way more photos than in years past... I think the way I'm getting around the blackout in fast motion scenarios is just by holding down the shutter button and taking like 25 frames of a shot I probably would've taken 5 of with the 5D. Because the moment I let up on the shutter, the blackout happens for second and it's way too long. With a really fast/large memory card, I've been able to just spray shots and hope I catch the action I want while monitoring it in the EVF.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
It kind of just occurred to me while thinking about the blackout and also how I seem to be taking way more photos than in years past... I think the way I'm getting around the blackout in fast motion scenarios is just by holding down the shutter button and taking like 25 frames of a shot I probably would've taken 5 of with the 5D. Because the moment I let up on the shutter, the blackout happens for second and it's way too long. With a really fast/large memory card, I've been able to just spray shots and hope I catch the action I want while monitoring it in the EVF.

25 frames? Whoa! By then any action subject I've encountered is way out of the frame, and so is my composition. I cannot overstate how great the R is for portrait work, but for moving subjects that need to be kept within the frame, yikes. Plus there really isn't enough burst rate to cherry-pick a good selection of facial expression + body position.

Upvote 0
Please, god, let it be BSI sensor this time. :geek:
Seriously why? Just about every lens used for Canon have stabilization built in. Is it really going to make you a better photographer? All my lenses have 4-5 stops of stabilization. I certainly won't be jumping out there for new glass at this point

• Wow
Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Seriously why? Just about every lens used for Canon have stabilization built in.
Not true. I had the EF 35mm f/1.4 II and the EF 24-70 f/2.8L II and neither had image stabilization. None of my RF lenses have it. Many Canon lenses don't have it.

Anyway, BSI has nothing to do with IS of any form that I am aware of. BSI = Back-side Illuminated sensor..

Upvote 0
I picked up an R + 24-105 + 35 during the recent price drop and am quite pleased with all of them. I have my 5DIV and 2.8 EF zooms, so I'm looking for another fast non-L prime. A 16 or a 50 would do nicely. I'm not too picky...
I have a couple of Canon L glass but purchased a complete line of Tamron SP G2 lenses last year. They are every bit as capable as any f/2.8 glass that Canon makes. I bought the 35mm f/1.4 and it is awesome. I've got a canon 50mm 1.4 and it is ok. Build quality is cheap. As I find I need faster glass than 2.8 then I will consider rf mounts. Canon is making their money now because once Sigma Art and Tamron announce their RF mount glass and it compares like it does to EF, Canon will be forced to drop prices. Also until they come out with some consumer lenses, why would the consumer move to a newer rf mount camera.

Upvote 0