EOS R5 Overheating Issues - EOS R6 No Dual Card Video Recording

Dec 13, 2010
Where has Canon clearly stated the recording times? I get you are a Canon fan as am I but I don't believe in giving any vendor a pass just because I like their products. Your Armani suit comparison makes no sense...an Armani suit is not meant to be worn in the rain; Canon's main advertising push was for the video features of the R5 and R6. Does Armani show video after video of a customer dancing in the rain? If they did then that would be closer to the current situation.

Interesting, that footnote is not in the US version of the specs and even the footnote just states what is common sense for any camera, it is not as clear as the table that was leaked from the Canon vendor. I think if they just add that table to the specs for the R5 and an equivalent one to the marketing specs for the R6 then they really would be transparent.
It makes total sense. The R5 isn’t to replace a C500 and of you though it record unlimited in 8K thats on you.

Attachments

• 44ADD2A8-B75F-4ED0-B23B-4F0EE6912D92.jpeg
    44ADD2A8-B75F-4ED0-B23B-4F0EE6912D92.jpeg
    224.6 KB · Views: 118
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I think it will be a fantastic stills camera, and if you are waiting 1.5yrs to buy the R5 then you will have tons of real world feedback to review prior to your purchase, I still think even the R6 will make a great stills camera; only in 2020 can you get a 1DXIII sensor for over 50% less than the actual 1DXIII.
You are right! Both will be fantastic still cameras. For birds and landscapes R5 is more appropriate but for internal low light shots like museums and churches interiors and night shots a 1DXIII sensor on R6 with IBIS seems hard to beat. For night photography R6 would make a great pair with my 15-35 but mostly with my Sigma 14 1.8.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
It makes total sense. The R5 isn’t to replace a C500 and of you though it record unlimited in 8K thats on you.

You are missing the point...I never thought anything about the R5 that Canon did not advertise, and you are skipping the fact that it also overheats in 4K120 and 4K60 and 4K30. Canon never mentioned there were restrictions on nearly all of their recording modes and still hasn't officially acknowledged to the public that they exist at all. Also the chart you referenced did not come from Canon's website, it came from a 3rd party vendor who says they got it from Canon; where on Canon's website is that chart? There are also reports that the R6 overheats as well...where is that chart?

I don't even have any plans to get the R5, the R6 has always been way more interesting to me as a potential GH5 replacement. But does that mean I will just sing Canon's praises when I feel like they have pulled a page from the Sony playbook...no I'm going to call it like I see it; and if this issue affects the production cameras and Canon does not release official guidance for the production cameras then I don't consider that being transparent at all.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[..] I feel like they have pulled a page from the Sony playbook[..]

The Sony playbook version would be to have the camera overheat without any warning and a few months later introduce a new model that takes longer to overheat.

That being said, the overheating is a let down for me, I wonder how this affects taking really short 8k clips, but having the camera + lens in the sun. I hope I'll hit storage issues before heat issues, I wonder how long it takes to fill a 128GB card, 7 minutes?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
The Sony playbook version would be to have the camera overheat without any warning and a few months later introduce a new model that takes longer to overheat.

That being said, the overheating is a let down for me, I wonder how this affects taking really short 8k clips, but having the camera + lens in the sun. I hope I'll hit storage issues before heat issues, I wonder how long it takes to fill a 128GB card, 7 minutes?

I think that's really the root of the problem...no one really knows. The reality is most people wouldn't record more than a min or so anyway in 8K...but the fact that it also affects 4K60 which I use all the time and 4K30 as well as possibly the R6 is to me more problematic IMO than the 8K. From a storage standpoint, I've read somewhere that you only get 50min of 8K footage with 1TB of storage so I would estimate less than 5min for a 128GB card. There is also a thread on EOSHD that new firmware will be released soon that offers more 8K and 4K options:

Honestly I think most users won't run into this issue at all, if the R6 had simultaneous slot video recording I'd have still pre-ordered it, that to me is a bigger issue than this. Even the R5 seems to only offer RAW + MP4 slot recording not MP4 to both slots. I just don't get why Canon doesn't realize how useful this feature is to people who care about it.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I think that's really the root of the problem...no one really knows. The reality is most people wouldn't record more than a min or so anyway in 8K...but the fact that it also affects 4K60 which I use all the time and 4K30 as well as possibly the R6 is to me more problematic IMO than the 8K.[..]

I suspect I'll get tired of 8k after doing 2 clips and end up using the oversampled, cropped 4k mode for macro and the non-cropped oversampled 4k mode for my kids.

[..]
Honestly I think most users won't run into this issue at all, if the R6 had simultaneous slot video recording I'd have still pre-ordered it, that to me is a bigger issue than this. Even the R5 seems to only offer RAW + MP4 slot recording not MP4 to both slots. I just don't get why Canon doesn't realize how useful this feature is to people who care about it.

I think it was the B&H Q&A panel, but I'm note sure, but somewhere a Canon person said something like "We know what wedding shooters want, of course you can record to both cards at the same time, you want that kind of insurance for weddings" about the R6.
I eagerly await proper manuals, these slightly different answers to the same question are getting annoying. But they do generate traffic and clicks for this forum :D

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
I suspect I'll get tired of 8k after doing 2 clips and end up using the oversampled, cropped 4k mode for macro and the non-cropped oversampled 4k mode for my kids.

I think it was the B&H Q&A panel, but I'm note sure, but somewhere a Canon person said something like "We know what wedding shooters want, of course you can record to both cards at the same time, you want that kind of insurance for weddings" about the R6.
I eagerly await proper manuals, these slightly different answers to the same question are getting annoying. But they do generate traffic and clicks for this forum :D

I thought so too but I think they meant for images. I don't know any Canon camera below the Cinema line that can record the same video format to both cards simultaneously. Also I checked every feature of the dual card slots that was listed in this PDF and cannot find any proof especially from the screen shots that it will do dual slot recording. Also some of the hands on testers in their video mentioned that the R6 does not do dual slot recording.

Attachments

• EOS-R5-improvements-part-1.pdf
    4.2 MB · Views: 93
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
Here it is directly from Canon.

I definitely think it is a step in the right direction and I have no doubt that Canon will take many more steps in the right direction. My only point was that for me personally hearing there are overheating issues and no dual slot recording kept me from pre-ordering the R6 until more information is available and well documented. If Canon had mentioned in their hyped video features leading up to the launch date that there was a thermal limit for certain modes and had included dual slot video slot recording in the R6 then I would have pre-ordered the R6. As it stands now I'm going to have to wait and see if Panasonic releases a GH6 and what the real world reports are for the R5 and R6.

Upvote 0

Respinder

5D Mark III
Mar 4, 2012
I'm always surprised at how quickly people start complaining about a camera that no one has in hand and claims there's an issue - especially when its a Canon :)
Please, let's wait for the production version of the cameras first before we start rushing to judgment.
As many have stated in this and other forums, if you need to shoot 8K documentaries running hours on end, then perhaps this is not the camera for you.
There are also practical limitations of course, such as storage space on the CFexpress cards and overall workflow issues that will introduce practical limitations on 8K recording and editing.
Even if there are any overheating issues - even at 4K - I'm not too worried about it. I'm buying an R5 due to its hybrid nature as a photography and videography device.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Also from what I can tell.

NO ONE yet, has had a full blown, production ready camera to test yet. I believe even all of the Canon Ambassadors had Pre-Prod cameras to test.

While seeing problems on a PRE production camera like this potentially may be is troubling....that is what PREprod gear is for, to find problems to be tweaked, etc.

Of course this is something to watch, but I'm not going to get all upset just quite yet till the real true PRODUCTION cameras are out in reviewers and the general publics' hands and see what is really what, you know?

C

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020

NO ONE yet, has had a full blown, production ready camera to test yet. I believe even all of the Canon Ambassadors had Pre-Prod cameras to test.

While seeing problems on a PRE production camera like this potentially may be is troubling....that is what PREprod gear is for, to find problems to be tweaked, etc.

Of course this is something to watch, but I'm not going to get all upset just quite yet till the real true PRODUCTION cameras are out in reviewers and the general publics' hands and see what is really what, you know?

C

I agree 100%, but would it prevent me from pre-ordering an R6....yes it would.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011

Overheating is not something that you discover only by shipping pre-production cameras to your ambassadors.

I think Canon may have made a PR mistake by announcing the R5 as if it were oriented primarily to the video crowd. It has set unrealistic expectations among people that are not particularly good at engineering.

Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
It's amazing to me that stills shooters who would never accept a camera that persistently shuts down while they are shooting; think that a video camera that shuts down in the middle of a shoot is a perfectly reasonable thing for video shooters to have to accept. It's not. They won't.

I think Canon may have made a PR mistake by announcing the R5 as if it were oriented primarily to the video crowd. It has set unrealistic expectations among people that are not particularly good at engineering.

Does the name of the camera start with a C? If not, it's not a video camera. Canon had the technology to do it, so they threw 8K recording in there. But as it's always been since the 5D Mark II, this is a stills camera that has nice video features thrown in. If you're primarily shooting video, Canon has a whole line of cinema cameras they'd love to sell you. The R5 is not part of that line.

I for one am truly thrilled to get a 45MP stills camera with IBIS and a one stop ISO improvement over the 5D4. I'll probably never use the 8K. My computer would choke and lock up the minute I even tried to open an 8K video.

Upvote 0

SecureGSM

2 x 5D IV
Feb 26, 2017
You are missing the point...I never thought anything about the R5 that Canon did not advertise, and you are skipping the fact that it also overheats in 4K120 and 4K60 and 4K30. Canon never mentioned there were restrictions on nearly all of their recording modes and still hasn't officially acknowledged to the public that they exist at all. Also the chart you referenced did not come from Canon's website, it came from a 3rd party vendor who says they got it from Canon; where on Canon's website is that chart? There are also reports that the R6 overheats as well...where is that chart?

I don't even have any plans to get the R5, the R6 has always been way more interesting to me as a potential GH5 replacement. But does that mean I will just sing Canon's praises when I feel like they have pulled a page from the Sony playbook...no I'm going to call it like I see it; and if this issue affects the production cameras and Canon does not release official guidance for the production cameras then I don't consider that being transparent at all.
R5 does not overheat in 4K30 apparently. just to be fair. no?

Upvote 0

StevenA

CR Pro
Jul 8, 2020
Overheating is not something that you discover only by shipping pre-production cameras to your ambassadors.

I can see what you are saying. But also, just by looking at the R5 body we should be able to determine that it is a stills camera FIRST, even if video was focused on by Canon during promo. Heck, I can't blame them for touting to be the first to put 8k in a stills body format. I'd probably do it too. Also, most of us suspected this was the 5dmIV replacement, partly because of Canon choosing the naming scheme of 'R5', and we all know the 5dmIV is primarily a stills camera with video capabilities. So why would we expect Canon to prioritize video over stills with its replacement when they already have a competent line of video cameras they want us to buy?

But we should, and did (as adults using common sense) realize that putting that kind of technology into a body like that would possibly result in some heating issues. In fact, that was the very concern everybody had when Canon first announced that the camera was capable of 8k. I vividly remember people voicing concerns such as "There is no way they do that unless they add cooling!" OR "If they put 8k in a camera body it can only be done with the cripple hammer."

Well, we know now they didn't add any cooling, and there is a bit of a cripple hammer (albeit understandable) by way of record limits to protect the camera's delicate electronics. Which is STILL better than any of the other camera manufacturers out there today.

Canon's reward from it's fan base is people getting worked up because instead of having a big ol' fan mounted under it so it could record video all day long, chewing up expensive 1tb CFExpress cards (something they would DEFINITELY complain about), it'll only record for a short amount of time, still chewing up expensive 512GB CFExpress cards :rolleyes: .

From where I sit Canon is pushing the envelope beyond what anybody else is doing today with the introduction of the R5 AND R6. I'm happy about that and I won't bash them for it.

EDIT: I read a comparison somewhere (maybe in these threads) that made profound sense: Lamborghini makes fast cars and advertise tops speeds in excess of 200mph. But if you drove it full redline from a full tank of gas to empty (all things being equal, like the road being perfectly flat, etc.) something would likely break.

Last edited:
Upvote 0