eos R5 shutter sound compared to eos R

hey guys and girls. been using my eos r5 for a few days now and I must tell you I like pretty much everything about it with just one hiccup: I hate the faint shutter sound. I used a 5d IV and went to an eos R last year and I thought the eos R shutter sound is appalling compared to the 5d IV but now I see that the eos R shutter sound is way nicer and tighter that the one of the eos r5. I couldn't find anyone else complaining about this, starting to wonder if my unit is defective.
What do you think of it?

Dec 13, 2010
THAT depends on if you used your R as default with Silent LV mode 1 enabled, in that case it’s tight sound comes from the fact that it’s only the rear curtain being mechanical. Mode 1 is EFCS.

if you were using the R with fully mechanical shutter I found it seriously sluggish and it sound very slow and felt unresponsive. The R5 is much more responsive and nice IMO. I really like a fully mechanical that is silent’ish yep snappy.
I don’t think your camera is defective at all.

Upvote 0
THAT depends on if you used your R as default with Silent LV mode 1 enabled, in that case it’s tight sound comes from the fact that it’s only the rear curtain being mechanical. Mode 1 is EFCS.

if you were using the R with fully mechanical shutter I found it seriously sluggish and it sound very slow and felt unresponsive. The R5 is much more responsive and nice IMO. I really like a fully mechanical that is silent’ish yep snappy.
I don’t think your camera is defective at all.
I shoot just mechanical. but the sound is really low with no click, it just sound loose. is this the case with yours as well?

Upvote 0
FWIW i couldn't play the attachment but TDP. does shutter sounds

Edit: i think it sounds like sweeeet music :giggle:
the 5d IV or even better the 1d III sounds lile sweet music. the r5 is more on the farty side

Upvote 0