ePhotozine reviews the Canon EOS RF 16mm F2.8 STM and RF 14-35mm F/4L IS USM

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Amusingly, the near freebie 16mm is measured to be sharper in the centre than its zoom big brother.

Reactions: 1 user

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
I noticed a huge difference in corner performance between ephotozine and OpticalLimits 16mm reviews...
I tend to rely more on OpticalLimits, since their findings usually correspond to my own impressions. But this is purely subjective, of course.
Agreed - although with cheaper lenses, I always wonder whether sample variation is more pronounced?

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
I recall that Bryan (TDP) tested four copies of the EF 24-70/2.8L II. The first two performed poorly. Not a cheap lens.
Disgraceful in an 'L' lens. Klaus at OpticalLimits always comments on the 'centring' of lenses he tests, and my impression is that price and 'pro status' seems to count for not much at all. All makers too.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I noticed a huge difference in corner performance between ephotozine and OpticalLimits 16mm reviews...
I tend to rely more on OpticalLimits, since their findings usually correspond to my own impressions. But this is purely subjective, of course.
ePhotozine‘s MTF charts are indeed usually flatter than opticallimit’s. However, they don‘t report corners and go out only to the edges, unlike the latter does. An important difference here is that ePhotozine used the R6 whereas opticallimits used the R5 but they also gave results for the R, and the edge/centre difference is quite similar for lower pixels.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
ePhotozine‘s MTF charts are indeed usually flatter than opticallimit’s. However, they don‘t report corners and go out only to the edges, unlike the latter does. An important difference here is that ePhotozine used the R6 whereas opticallimits used the R5 but they also gave results for the R, and the edge/centre difference is quite similar for lower pixels.
Anyway, they are both more reliable than the glamorous Tony-Chelsea "reviews":rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I recall that Bryan (TDP) tested four copies of the EF 24-70/2.8L II. The first two performed poorly. Not a cheap lens.
And Opticallimits were not that impressed with their copy ("good, but not outstanding"), which, for them, means a rather mediocre performance.
The f4 version got better ratings...

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Disgraceful in an 'L' lens. Klaus at OpticalLimits always comments on the 'centring' of lenses he tests, and my impression is that price and 'pro status' seems to count for not much at all. All makers too.
Roger of lensrentals has had several blogs about this. These two sum up what he has found.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0