Even with NAB cancelled Canon still plans to announce a new Cinema Camera shortly

Sep 3, 2018
And no one is adapting RF glass to anything. An RF camera would have an RF mount. An EF camera isn't using RF lenses.
You miss my point, EF lenses are pretty much fixed at this point as no more will
be released.

I’m only buying RF from now on but if I want a Cinema camera which I’m considering, I’ve got nowhere to go. I can’t put RF glass on EF mount ever.

I was asking if they make an RF Cinema camera, how adaptable is the mount? Are existing users stuck to adapting EF glass to fit an RF Cinema camera which won’t go down well or can the mount be switched in some way?

Upvote 0
In bright sunlight I've sometimes wanted more than the six stops on the C100, I've never hit 10 stops on the C200 and needed more. And that's to shoot at f1.4 in direct sunlight... 10 stops and f/22 - what were you shooting? The sun?

No cinema cameras sell like hot cakes... They're a niche products for a niche market.
Im a c100 mark II owner also and was ready to pull the plug for c200... but with these specs coming from R5/R6 and already from 1Dx Mark III, I think the next cinema eos will blow our minds! I have very few hopes that this cinema camera may be a c100/c200 replacement.

Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
You miss my point, EF lenses are pretty much fixed at this point as no more will
be released.

I’m only buying RF from now on but if I want a Cinema camera which I’m considering, I’ve got nowhere to go. I can’t put RF glass on EF mount ever.

I was asking if they make an RF Cinema camera, how adaptable is the mount? Are existing users stuck to adapting EF glass to fit an RF Cinema camera which won’t go down well or can the mount be switched in some way?

The upcoming RED Komodo is native RF mount. BUT don’t get hung up on the whole ‘adapter’ thing and think its “bad”. Adapters and swappable mounts are used ALL the time with cameras and lenses that cost a lot more than a C200 or C500. I have an adapter that was probably $5K that lets me use my $30K ENG lenses as PL, EF, FZ, N, etc... I use an EF adapter on my F55 all the time to use my CN-E Primes. Most people shooting on Fs7’s are using EF adapters and PL adapters. Having EF glass makes it pretty universally adaptable, whereas native RF glass is basically going to only be useable on an RF mount camera. An RF mount camera is fine, because of its shallow flange depth, which would allow you to adapt most lenses to it, but it’s the opposite with glass.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
The upcoming RED Komodo is native RF mount. BUT don’t get hung up on the whole ‘adapter’ thing and think its “bad”. Adapters and swappable mounts are used ALL the time with cameras and lenses that cost a lot more than a C200 or C500. I have an adapter that was probably $5K that lets me use my $30K ENG lenses as PL, EF, FZ, N, etc... I use an EF adapter on my F55 all the time to use my CN-E Primes. Most people shooting on Fs7’s are using EF adapters and PL adapters. Having EF glass makes it pretty universally adaptable, whereas native RF glass is basically going to only be useable on an RF mount camera. An RF mount camera is fine, because of its shallow flange depth, which would allow you to adapt most lenses to it, but it’s the opposite with glass.
I don't see the adapter thing as bad (selfishly) I'd love to see an RF Cinema camera as the RF glass I'll be buying now will be native to it and would never effect me.

However, I'm not as confident as you that existing EF Cinema camera owners would relish the idea of having the adapt all their existing gear making it unlikely we'll see an RF version.

Looking at the current camera the lens mount wouldn't work with RF unless Canon came up with some clever moveable sensor or modular lens mount.

Upvote 0
I don't think it would take much to convince the cinema crowd to use adapters for their EF glass on an RF body. Most people buying Canon aren't cinematographers, they are corporate and doc people who are used to making do with what they've got on hand. All Canon needs to do is explain that they can get an internal polarizer or ND, or a control ring to control their aperture or ISO. The Canon cinema user would be perfectly happy.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
I don't think it would take much to convince the cinema crowd to use adapters for their EF glass on an RF body. Most people buying Canon aren't cinematographers, they are corporate and doc people who are used to making do with what they've got on hand. All Canon needs to do is explain that they can get an internal polarizer or ND, or a control ring to control their aperture or ISO. The Canon cinema user would be perfectly happy.
So there is hope and that would really please me. :)

Upvote 0
This is great to hear. I'm THIS close to buying a C500ii, as I'm finally ready to leave the Sony system (coming from the FS7 world) but the C500ii isn't quite a home run in my mind.

Especially having used the EOS R cameras, I think putting some of those features in a C300 style body would be fantastic. Namely, the RF mount (which can easily adapt EF and PL lenses) and the ND control rings. Those for me would make the C300 RF a no brainer.

I think the C500ii punches above its weight for $16k, especially when compared to the RED system cameras, but it's still a hard pill to swallow if a C300iii comes out in a month.

RF is definitely the future for Canon video, at least that is my take on it!

Upvote 0

GoldWing

Canon EOS 1DXMKII
Oct 19, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
en.wikipedia.org
I'd love a C300 MKII but these EOS Cinema cameras now really need an RF mount if they are to have a future. With Canon going full steam into RF I personally wouldn't consider one until they do. With the control ring and added communications in the lenses, Canon could do great things.
Cinematic EF stock is so prevalent and setup as embedded workflow for production and post that you'll need tremendous "proof" and "time" before people are willing to give up what works and then make an investment. The money lost on adopting new technology that "fumbles" can destroy a production budget. I don't care who the manufacture is "Quality Control" today is the worst I have ever seen. At this point, I'll let others be "first users" and benefit from their experiences. And it's FREE

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Maybe Canon hasn't yet got the memo that like the $3500 DSLR, the age of bulky, fat margin cine cameras is coming to an end. If they haven't they will soon.
that makes no sense. cimena cameras have a different purpose. i use a cinema camera for the long recording capabilities, 2 slot recording, advanced audio features, built in ND filters, and xlr. on top of the the image quality is better than most cameras priced lower.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
Maybe Canon hasn't yet got the memo that like the $3500 DSLR, the age of bulky, fat margin cine cameras is coming to an end. If they haven't they will soon.
No they won’t. There’s a place for a 35mm camera that shoots high quality video for less sophisticated users such as those shooting wedding, events, etc.

but there is a place for higher end video cameras for filmmakers who need more sophisticated equipment designed specifically for video production. That will not change.

Upvote 0
Im a c100 mark II owner also and was ready to pull the plug for c200... but with these specs coming from R5/R6 and already from 1Dx Mark III, I think the next cinema eos will blow our minds! I have very few hopes that this cinema camera may be a c100/c200 replacement.
I shoot a lot with my c200 and 2 1dc’s, I cannot stress enough that if you get into the c200 world you will need a fast raid hard drive setup. It makes all the difference. I have two 60tb lacie 6 bigs and you will fill them depending on how busy you are and you will want the speed. I edit on a 2014 MacBook Pro and I would not be able to if I didn’t have the hard drives. A 1tb cfast will get you a little over 2 hours of continuous recording. The c200 is truly a awesome camera for the price. A 1dxmkiii seems like a epic camera and I’m sure I’ll get one but I will not be using there h265 codec. Most computers work better with cinema raw lite than they do with h265. Something to consider.
i didn’t do much color work but here you can see how a 1dc and c200 play together

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
This is great to hear. I'm THIS close to buying a C500ii, as I'm finally ready to leave the Sony system (coming from the FS7 world) but the C500ii isn't quite a home run in my mind.

Especially having used the EOS R cameras, I think putting some of those features in a C300 style body would be fantastic. Namely, the RF mount (which can easily adapt EF and PL lenses) and the ND control rings. Those for me would make the C300 RF a no brainer.

I think the C500ii punches above its weight for $16k, especially when compared to the RED system cameras, but it's still a hard pill to swallow if a C300iii comes out in a month.

RF is definitely the future for Canon video, at least that is my take on it!
I'm in the same boat for the C200. I would love a C200 but with the new EOS R specs blowing their cinema lines out of the water, I feel like they are less than a year away from a C200 refresh. I would love 4K 4:2:2 10bit, dual CFAST recording, RF mount, and 4K 120FPS. I would pair this with an R5 hybrid photo/video/gimbal b cam and an R6 video/timelapse c cam

Upvote 0
Apr 29, 2012
I'm in the same boat for the C200. I would love a C200 but with the new EOS R specs blowing their cinema lines out of the water, I feel like they are less than a year away from a C200 refresh. I would love 4K 4:2:2 10bit, dual CFAST recording, RF mount, and 4K 120FPS. I would pair this with an R5 hybrid photo/video/gimbal b cam and an R6 video/timelapse c cam

If they update the C200 it would almost certainly move from CFast to CFExpress.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
I'd love a C300 MKII but these EOS Cinema cameras now really need an RF mount if they are to have a future. With Canon going full steam into RF I personally wouldn't consider one until they do. With the control ring and added communications in the lenses, Canon could do great things.
I don't think the RF mount leaves enough room for selectable ND filter. If it does it would be a shoehorn fit. Cinema mounts have traditionally had a long rear focus distance. It is possible that they will make a camera with an interchangeable mount system, but just because there are a lot of RF camera lenses coming that doesn't automatically translate to a lot of RF cinema lenses. That is a whole different ball game.

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
but just because there are a lot of RF camera lenses coming that doesn't automatically translate to a lot of RF cinema lenses.
That is fair enough for current Cinema camera users but when Canon said "we're not developing any further EF mount lenses" it gives me pause for buying any current Canon Cinema camera, especially as I plan on buying RF lenses going forward.

I'm buying an R camera and RF glass then in 12 months I'm super busy shooting video and decide I want a C300 MKIII to go with my R5. I'd have to re-purchase all my EF glass again!

I've always thought Canon Cinema cameras were the logical next step up for hybrid video shooters........ Not any longer it would seem without an RF Cinema mount camera.

Upvote 0
That is fair enough for current Cinema camera users but when Canon said "we're not developing any further EF mount lenses" it gives me pause for buying any current Canon Cinema camera, especially as I plan on buying RF lenses going forward.

I'm buying an R camera and RF glass then in 12 months I'm super busy shooting video and decide I want a C300 MKIII to go with my R5. I'd have to re-purchase all my EF glass again!

I've always thought Canon Cinema cameras were the logical next step up for hybrid video shooters........ Not any longer it would seem without an RF Cinema mount camera.

Who knows maybe they just meant no more EF Photo lenses and they will keep developing the CN line of lenses.

RF (Focus by wire) not isn’t ideal for big budget cinema.

Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011

There’s no need to get rid of your current EF glass. Just use Canon’s EF-to-RF (~$100). They also have one that lets you put a variable ND filter behind the lens, which is HUGE with a still camera that has no internal ND system.

Like I said before, you have much more flexibility with EF glass. It’s kind of like type O blood.

Upvote 0