A few new Canon products have been cancelled due to the supply chain issues

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I have been talking to a few people about upcoming products that haven’t come to fruition yet, and it looks like a few may have been cancelled and are being “refreshed”.
While no products were directly named by my sources, one from retail mentioned that they were shown products last year that haven’t made it to market and have been removed from internal product documents.
A second source said it’s likely that some of the cancelled products are being refreshed to meet the expectations of the market once supply chain issues have been resolved. This makes a lot of sense for cameras, as the specifications can be dated quite quickly in that space. Lenses on the other hand exist for many years, and Canon can continue to roll them out.
With the NABShow in October being cancelled, a lot of new Cinema EOS products may have been cancelled or delayed. The next NABShow is scheduled for April 2022. That said, I do think we’ll see some Cinema EOS announcements this year, but it’ll likely be for...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I find this a bit confusing and maybe it's just semantics. Are products being cancelled? Or are they just being put on hold and possibly revamped?

I find it hard to believe that once Canon has done all the market research, design and development work on a camera that they would simply cancel the product. That would indicate a pretty glaring failure of their research.

Perhaps it's more a case of shelving certain products until supply chain issues are resolved and then revisiting them in light of changes that have occurred in the market.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I find this a bit confusing and maybe it's just semantics. Are products being cancelled? Or are they just being put on hold and possibly revamped?

I find it hard to believe that once Canon has done all the market research, design and development work on a camera that they would simply cancel the product. That would indicate a pretty glaring failure of their research.

Perhaps it's more a case of shelving certain products until supply chain issues are resolved and then revisiting them in light of changes that have occurred in the market.
I would have guessed you were right. Put off some niche products until they can be reliably produced, then update whatever needs updating prior to release.

As an example, we've seen rumours of a high megapixel camera for ages, even before announcement of the R5. If that was indeed a different body in development which was put off to make room for the likely more in-demand R5, then whatever they planned to release may look long in the tooth if they don't think they can get it to maket until 2023. I could absolutely see a change in direction as some of these production issues persist.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I would have guessed you were right. Put off some niche products until they can be reliably produced, then update whatever needs updating prior to release.

As an example, we've seen rumours of a high megapixel camera for ages, even before announcement of the R5. If that was indeed a different body in development which was put off to make room for the likely more in-demand R5, then whatever they planned to release may look long in the tooth if they don't think they can get it to maket until 2023. I could absolutely see a change in direction as some of these production issues persist.
I'd think from a corporate point of view Canon need to have an R1 and an R5C available even if just in limited quantities so people making system changing decisions do actually know what is out there. Things like the high mp R5s and crop R camera I wouldn't think would matter too much if they got delayed.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Looking at the lens roadmap that has been published on this site and thinking about rumored new bodies, I'd say that Canon is sitting in a pretty good position to hit the pause button if they need to.

With five R bodies and all the core lenses released, most of what's being rumored or listed falls into the niche category.

I can't see them rushing an R1 into production until they can gather sufficient feedback on the R3. They need to put sufficient space between the two models to make the R1 a compelling upgrade and I'm not sure two CFexpress slots and a different resolution alone are sufficient.

The 500 and 800 big whites were never upgraded in the last EF cycle, which may say something about Canon's assessment of that market.

I suspect we will see still see some releases in 2022, but at a slower pace and consumer grade products may be the priorities.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
....whatever they planned to release may look long in the tooth if they don't think they can get it to market until 2023.
Yes, that’s the likely logic behind thus move.

They’ve probably put some bodies on hold while they wait to see what Nikon and Sony release, and how they are received in the market (does anyone really want a 100MP FF camera when they could get a GFX100 instead?).

Although frustrating to buyers, it would make more sense commercially to concentrate on meeting the demand for more popular bodies and lenses, rather than push out the more niche stuff.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Although frustrating to buyers, it would make more sense commercially to concentrate on meeting the demand for more popular bodies and lenses, rather than push out the more niche stuff.
OTOH, the niche products can make a splash and since they're niche they won't strain production lines as much as new, popular products. With a lens like the new dual-fisheye, they can probably do a single small production run and that will last quite a while.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
OTOH, the niche products can make a splash and since they're niche they won't strain production lines as much as new, popular products. With a lens like the new dual-fisheye, they can probably do a single small production run and that will last quite a while.
If it’s supply chain related, which seems highly probably, the products put on hold may well just be dictated by availability of specific chips.

Or maybe Canon are just trying to increase pent up demand for those products ;)

Upvote 0
... (does anyone really want a 100MP FF camera when they could get a GFX100 instead?)....
I do (though I can survive without either). I don't really want to rehash old discussions, but I'd definitely prefer a higher-resolution RF mount body to the GFX as I don't see Fuji catching up on lenses any time soon. I really want that RF 100-500 and I just don't see something like that becoming available for the Fuji GFX series in the near future. If Canon released something in the 60-100MP range and not outrageously more expensive than an R5, it would likely be my first preorder.

With that said, I know I'm in limited company there and expect that the high resolution body would likely be one of the first to be delayed in the event of supply chain disruption.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Yes, but there are niche products and then there are niche products. Things like the 16mm f2.8 and the dual fisheye are niche, but they are also innovative. The dual fisheye holds out the promise of selling more cameras to a new audience and the 16mm f2.8 is cheap and will probably generate a nice dependable little revenue stream at minimal cost.

But, then there are niche products like a 35L and the 500 f4 that aren't going to generate a splash and aren't going to be big sellers. Same with all the tilt-shift lenses. Those are the kinds of niche products that can easily be put on hold.

Upvote 0
I'd think from a corporate point of view Canon need to have an R1 and an R5C available even if just in limited quantities so people making system changing decisions do actually know what is out there. Things like the high mp R5s and crop R camera I wouldn't think would matter too much if they got delayed.
I could see the crop R being a challenge actually - anything that would need to be produced in significant volume (especially if it's a narrow margin body, or not something that will move a lot of lenses) could be hard to manage in a shortage environment. With that said, that's assuming the crop R would be a volume mover (i.e. very price conscious product, or a somewhat price conscious weather-sealed sports shooter like a 7D series). But yeah, I would expect the R5s to be on the back-burner.

Upvote 0
Hundreds of thousands of Canon users will jump ship to Sony A7X / A9
and Fuji GFX models
if NO High Resolution R5S or RS Model is Launched in 2022 .

We've been waiting almost 7 years for this upgrade from the 5ds/5dsr

"As of March 2019 Sony has developed the IMX555cqr
Full Frame 102 Megapixel Sensor with 6K 12 bit video with pixel binning mode , along with a unique high-speed digital readout for 16bit stills.
Stills from the sensor are a mammoth 12288 x 8192 resolution. That’s 12K in video terms a super fast readout given the amount of data coming off the chip.
the sensor can do a 4096 x 2160 RGB 4:4:4 stream directly on-chip.
It’s speculated A75 or A9 stills camera using such a sensor will utilise this Cinema 4K mode as well as a 6K Video mode "

Let's pray Canon has their new
high resolution model well on the way

My 60" x 90" + Prints could use the Resolution of a such a Sensor and its rumoured pixel shift technology

Or perhaps Canon can Licence this Sensor from Sony like Nikon and many other brands do

God Speed Canon !!!

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Meanwhile, I'm wondering if the RF 28-70 F2 L has been cancelled since it has never appeared on Canon's list of supply-constrained lenses and yet remains missing in action since spring when I placed my order for it. (Yes, I'm being sarcastic. It is obviously still "available" since they just raised its price.)

Upvote 0