A few new Canon products have been cancelled due to the supply chain issues

Jul 21, 2010
Hundreds of thousands of Canon users will jump ship to Sony A7X / A9
and Fuji GFX models
if NO High Resolution R5S or RS Model is Launched in 2022 .

We've been waiting almost 7 years for this upgrade from the 5ds/5dsr
Lol. People have been predicting calamity for Canon on these forums since they've been around. Canon has led the ILC market for nearly two decades, and last year Canon gained more market share than Sony.

But hey, keep predicting doom for Canon. Maybe this time you're right...

lucy-football-peanuts.gif

Reactions: 9 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Hundreds of thousands of Canon users will jump ship to Sony A7X / A9 and Fuji GFX models if NO High Resolution R5S or RS Model is Launched in 2022 .
I was waiting for @neuroanatomist to respond and I see I wasn't disappointed. Do you really think there are "hundreds of thousands" of people buying high resolution cameras?

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
I find this a bit confusing and maybe it's just semantics. Are products being cancelled? Or are they just being put on hold and possibly revamped?

I find it hard to believe that once Canon has done all the market research, design and development work on a camera that they would simply cancel the product. That would indicate a pretty glaring failure of their research.

Perhaps it's more a case of shelving certain products until supply chain issues are resolved and then revisiting them in light of changes that have occurred in the market.
I, too, thought it odd to use the word "cancelled". After reading it again, I suspect you're on point with that last statement. It reads to me that lenses, having longer cycles, will likely continue mostly as planned. Camera bodies might be delayed (rather than cancelled), and "refreshed" to make sure specs are modern at time of release. Maybe trickle down tech from the R3 like eye-control focus or BSI sensor that might otherwise not have been in the original plan. I wouldn't expect drastic changes. Who knows...certainly not me!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I'd think from a corporate point of view Canon need to have an R1 and an R5C available even if just in limited quantities so people making system changing decisions do actually know what is out there. Things like the high mp R5s and crop R camera I wouldn't think would matter too much if they got delayed.
I agree that an APS-C camera can't wait.
I am not so sure about the R5S

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2017
Canon is not the only company struggling with this.

Hundreds of political leaders with no economic understanding made poor decisions over the past two years that will impact the next 5-10 in many unforeseen ways. I have turned my glass away from idyllic countryside scenes and focused on the day-to-day struggles around us. It's going to get darker before it gets better. Hope everyone is doing alright.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
As rumors go this one is extremely vague.
Statements like "may have cancelled.." , "it looks like..." or "source said it’s likely..."
And were not really sure what these products might even be.

Has any one checked to see if the R3 has suddenly disappeared from the website and internal documents. I bet that would get 60 pages of posts really fast.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I have turned my glass away from idyllic countryside scenes and focused on the day-to-day struggles around us. It's going to get darker before it gets better. Hope everyone is doing alright.
Yikes, you’re a real prophet of doom…

Get out there and enjoy yourself!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Pixel

CR Pro
Sep 6, 2011
Meanwhile, I'm wondering if the RF 28-70 F2 L has been cancelled since it has never appeared on Canon's list of supply-constrained lenses and yet remains missing in action since spring when I placed my order for it. (Yes, I'm being sarcastic. It is obviously still "available" since they just raised its price.)
Fine, then mine will appreciate rather than depreciate.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Meanwhile, I'm wondering if the RF 28-70 F2 L has been cancelled since it has never appeared on Canon's list of supply-constrained lenses and yet remains missing in action since spring when I placed my order for it. (Yes, I'm being sarcastic. It is obviously still "available" since they just raised its price.)
It was in stock two hours ago at the Canon store, so keep hope alive.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Hundreds of political leaders with no economic understanding made poor decisions over the past two years that will impact the next 5-10 in many unforeseen ways...
I don't want to get into a political debate, but I do wonder who those hundreds of political leaders are and what poor economic decisions they've made in the past two years. An unexpected pandemic spread across the world. At the outset there was no cure, no effective treatments and no immunization from the virus. Today, there are several highly effective vaccinations available, in no small part due to political leaders who committed financial resources and offered incentives to companies to expedite research and testing. The medical community has developed a number of effective treatment programs that can mitigate the impact for many patients. The pandemic is still with us and it has disrupted supply chains and led to shortages in many areas, that have also been exacerbated by unforeseeable events.

At the same time, a worldwide financial meltdown has been prevented largely because of government spending. The stock market today is stronger than anyone expected it to be. Unemployment has been kept to a minimum despite the economic disruption of the pandemic. Thanks to the aggressive response of political leaders, the United States has, for the first time ever, established financial support for families that will lift hundreds of thousands of children out of poverty.

Across the western world, we are seeing governments and people finally taking the first tentative steps to acknowledge the systemic racism that has plagued us for centuries.

That's not to say that there are not political leaders who have build their careers on divisiveness and bigotry. There are. And people need to reject those leaders.

But, the single biggest detriment to progress seems to me to be coming from individuals who buy into conspiracy theories and refuse to take modest steps like vaccination, out of some bizarre and flawed idea that they have a right to endanger and infect others.

/RANT OVER

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 12 users
Upvote 0
I don't want to get into a political debate, but I do wonder who those hundreds of political leaders are and what poor economic decisions they've made in the past two years. An unexpected pandemic spread across the world. At the outset there was no cure, no effective treatments and no immunization from the virus.

My opinion is that politicians left, right, communist and capitalist botched the whole thing.
Politicians in general overreacted, ignored, underreacted, covered up, ignored science, ignored common sense because science didn't back it up, waited on science, and we still lack educating the public for what masks really do. All the shut downs were intended to slow the virus, but my own state didn't take that time to add ICU beds and now they are full again. At the start the government educating people and discouraging people to wear masks (out of fear of no masks for those on the first time not having a mask), I thought that one would be an easy one.

Most of the stimulus money was a big money grab. Certain industries were shut down that didn't need to be, others were left unchecked and their employees suffered due to lack of regulation.

In my opinion, who are those hundreds of political leaders, just about all of them. Thousands might be a better number.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I agree that an APS-C camera can't wait.
I am not so sure about the R5S
I think you misunderstood me?

I think the crop R and the high resolution R5 (R5s?) could easily be delayed without any real impact on system viability.

I also think Canon would prioritize getting an R1 and R5C in some peoples hands even if in only limited numbers to maintain interest and a competitive edge. The R1 already has the Sony A1 (MkII) and the Nikon Z9 effectively in the market space, and the Sony FX3 is in that R5C space. Leaving both those market segments without a model seems short sighted.

Upvote 0

fastprime

R5 | R50
Feb 10, 2021
Where'd you order from? Mine took about 2 weeks to ship when I decided to pull the trigger and order from Canon USA.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
I don't want to get into a political debate, but I do wonder who those hundreds of political leaders are and what poor economic decisions they've made in the past two years. An unexpected pandemic spread across the world. At the outset there was no cure, no effective treatments and no immunization from the virus. Today, there are several highly effective vaccinations available, in no small part due to political leaders who committed financial resources and offered incentives to companies to expedite research and testing. The medical community has developed a number of effective treatment programs that can mitigate the impact for many patients. The pandemic is still with us and it has disrupted supply chains and led to shortages in many areas, that have also been exacerbated by unforeseeable events.

At the same time, a worldwide financial meltdown has been prevented largely because of government spending. The stock market today is stronger than anyone expected it to be. Unemployment has been kept to a minimum despite the economic disruption of the pandemic. Thanks to the aggressive response of political leaders, the United States has, for the first time ever, established financial support for families that will lift hundreds of thousands of children out of poverty.

Across the western world, we are seeing governments and people finally taking the first tentative steps to acknowledge the systemic racism that has plagued us for centuries.

That's not to say that there are not political leaders who have build their careers on divisiveness and bigotry. There are. And people need to reject those leaders.

But, the single biggest detriment to progress seems to me to be coming from individuals who buy into conspiracy theories and refuse to take modest steps like vaccination, out of some bizarre and flawed idea that they have a right to endanger and infect others.

/RANT OVER
The problem with managing a pandemic is finding the balance between limiting infection spread and limiting economic harm to individuals, states and nations. Just like camera design, everything is a compromise (As I keep reminding everyone!), and all decisions have consequences that we have to live with.

Looking at photography forums (not this one) where cashed up old men argue over lenses worth more than most people's monthly incomes, and complain that they need better $6K-$9K camera bodies with increasingly higher technical specs, one can be forgiven for thinking that we're not in the middle of a global pandemic where lots of people are suffering due to political and economic decisions.

I think the point miketcool was making was simply that the world is being affected by the global pandemic and it's impacting camera manufacturers, which don't operate in a vacuum. Car manufacturers have the same issue. Some of those companies foresaw the potential for semiconductor parts shortages, and stocked up. They're still putting out cars. Others made bad predictions, and now can't ship cars because of the semiconductor shortages. Looks like Canon's management tasked with ensuring supply chain continuity messed up, so no new toys for people with cash to splash in a time when many people are barely making ends meet, just to keep things in perspective! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
My opinion is that politicians left, right, communist and capitalist botched the whole thing.
Politicians in general overreacted, ignored, underreacted, covered up, ignored science, ignored common sense because science didn't back it up, waited on science, and we still lack educating the public for what masks really do. All the shut downs were intended to slow the virus, but my own state didn't take that time to add ICU beds and now they are full again. At the start the government educating people and discouraging people to wear masks (out of fear of no masks for those on the first time not having a mask), I thought that one would be an easy one.

Most of the stimulus money was a big money grab. Certain industries were shut down that didn't need to be, others were left unchecked and their employees suffered due to lack of regulation.

In my opinion, who are those hundreds of political leaders, just about all of them. Thousands might be a better number.
Just a minor point, the science was always there for masks, and many other things such as airborne virus transmission of other types of coronaviruses. You can look up the research journals and even the CDCs own material pre-COVID. Politics has been polluting the objectivity of science, and even WHO advice, by making a string of logically fallacious statements, one after another, that fail the rules of basic informal logical, let alone scientific scrutiny.

Next time you hear a political or a health authority utter the words "we have no evidence that...", listen to what follows. They used that argument to suggest that masks weren't needed by the public, and people were safe from airborne viral transmission! A lack of evidence doesn't mean anything more than "we don't know", so we can't conclude that something is safe or unsafe, works or doesn't, exists or doesn't exist! This logical fallacy is called argumentum ad ignorantiam or the argument from ignorance.

Expect more of this, because science constantly revises its understanding when new information comes in, while politics is invested in unquestionable dogma! :oops:

Back to the original topic, using the same argument, without evidence, we can't say whether certain cameras or lenses will be dropped, put on hold or just be delayed, all we can do is speculate based on limited evidence from rumour sources!

It would be a mistake to assume that every internal product release plan is set in stone. Canon can always reassess the changing market, and decide whether certain products or product lines are no longer viable or profitable.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
Lol. People have been predicting calamity for Canon on these forums since they've been around. Canon has led the ILC market for nearly two decades, and last year Canon gained more market share than Sony.

But hey, keep predicting doom for Canon. Maybe this time you're right...

View attachment 200677
I think you're referring to the "Now Canon is DOOMED" mantra of the Sony fanboy tribal group. :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0