How is Canon going to compete with the grey market in Australia?

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nighstar

just got back from Hands-on Night at CameraPro here in Brisbane where i got to (briefly) try out one of the three pre-production models that are in Australia (according to the Canon AU reps). :D it was interesting and has done nothing to abate my anticipation for having one for myself.

a few things that the Canon AU reps said (in no particular order):

- 5d Mark III (bodies, not sure about kits) have already arrived in Sydney but will not be shipped out to stores until next week; Friday was mentioned a few times, at least in relation to CameraPro.
- the first shipment will be in large quantities.
- ordering the body only is "probably the quickest way to get it (the Mark III)," according to one of the reps
- the number of bodies/kits each store will receive in their first shipment has yet to be decided.
- the new GPS Receiver (GP-E2 i believe) not only adds location information to your photos but also adds copyright information that cannot be edited/removed from a photo in any way.

i commented on how high the Australian price is compared to the US price, but i cant even begin to rehash the jumbled quasi explanation that i was given. something about Australian stock being bought in USD which is then converted to yen or something... ??? whatever. one interesting thing to note is that one of the reps mentioned the hype leading up to the announement on Canon Rumors! ;D

anyway, my initial impressions of the camera were very positive. :) it's a shame, however, that the one question that i have about the camera re: manual focusing and warranties with 3rd party focusing screens couldn't be answered, though. i also was unable to test focusing with a fast lens as the camera on display had the 24-105mm/f4 L on it. bummer. :-\ oh well.... shall be able to test the camera for myself soon anyway, i guess.

Upvote 0
M

mcintoshi

Hill Benson said:
Kudos to Leederville for being able to give us aussies a price that is comparable to the US. I will certainly be giving them my business (and probably following lens purchases) if I can convince
my other half!

Same here - I put down my deposit last thursday. I for one appreciate their willingness to "take a stand" against the market forces that drive customers away from their business, and I hope this experiment works out well for them. I know that they aren't making anything out of the body sales, so fingers crossed that enough people buy lenses & accessories to make it worth their while doing it again. When I pay off and pick up the 5D3 I'll most likely be buying at least one L series lens + filter + CF card + black rapid strap, assuming their best price is competitive (which doesn't mean it has to beat grey market but needs to be within a certain range which is still to be decided)

Just need to find a decisive winner in the lens battle in my head! (Current front runner is 70-200 f2.8 IS II)

Ian

Upvote 0
nighstar said:
it's a shame, however, that the one question that i have about the camera re: manual focusing and warranties with 3rd party focusing screens couldn't be answered, though. i also was unable to test focusing with a fast lens as the camera on display had the 24-105mm/f4 L on it. bummer. :-\ oh well.... shall be able to test the camera for myself soon anyway, i guess.

We had a play around with it at the Philip Bloom workshops here in Adelaide last week.

Tested with the 50mm f1.2 and sure enough the focusing is pretty fast and accurate too. Much nicer than the Mk2.

What do you mean by manual focusing? as in auto focus during video?
I'm guessing that its the latter, No auto focus during video, and rightly so, never understood the whole I'm going to spend $5k on a camera... i hope it does everything for me, thing. Especially when good glass like a set of Zeiss Primes are manual everything etc.

AF = Photography...Yes, Video ...No.

3rd party focusing screens?? Im guessing the answer to this one will be, what was the situation with the 5D2 and 7D? It will probably be the same with this as they are basically a combination of this camera now body wise.

After the play around with the camera for video I've even put off my Macbook Pro upgrade so i can afford one.

Upvote 0
AG said:
3rd party focusing screens?? Im guessing the answer to this one will be, what was the situation with the 5D2 and 7D? It will probably be the same with this as they are basically a combination of this camera now body wise.

The 3rd party screens throw off the camera's metering to some degree.

On the 5d I and II, for instance, you could compensate for the difference via a camera setting, but that would only work accurately for OEM focus screens.

Upvote 0
N

nighstar

AG said:
What do you mean by manual focusing? as in auto focus during video?

by manual focusing i was talking about the ease of focusing (and judging DOF) using a fast lens with the standard focusing screen. the standard focusing stops accurately showing DOF any wider than f4, so even if you focus accurately on your subject using MF or AF you still won't know how much of your subject is actually in focus. i agree that the AF is really fast and accurate, but that doesn't help you when you're using a Zeiss prime, for example, or even the 50mm f1.2 if you're using it wide open.

thus why i was wondering about 3rd party screens. if you install a 3rd party matte screen focusing with manual and fast lenses will be a lot easier because DOF will be much easier to see. in addition to what Pyrenees said about metering, the problem with installing a 3rd party screen is potentially voiding your warranty.

Upvote 0
N

nighstar

Hillsilly said:
I'd be surprised if changing a focusing screen would void the warranty. With my camera, the procedure is listed in the manual. If they didn't want you to do this, why would they be telling you how to do it?

As mentioned above, different screens can affect metering and the manual gives some suggestions on how to work around this.

that is only the case for cameras with interchangeable screens. the 5D Mark III's screen is fixed.

Upvote 0
Got the phone call today that Leederville's stock has arrived. Paid in full and it will be on it's way! Only problem is that I have to wait now for it to be shipped from WA to VIC. Air freight might take two days before I get it. Question is, will I get it before the weekend. I HOPE SO!

Upvote 0
olivander said:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned George's camera store in Sydney.

http://www.georges.com.au

There Australian, they had the Canon rep in there yesterday, and they're selling for the same price as Grey.

I think after what JB Hifi did, they're going to bow a little to pressures.

Georges price for 5dIII isn't that great ($3872)

Compare that to leederville on $3599 with small delivery charge and discountcameras on $3662.08 or $5743.28 with 24-70 II (+free delivery)

Both australian stockists

Upvote 0
melbournite said:
olivander said:

What did JB Hifi do?

they started selling grey imports of nikon/canon cameras. Eventually nikon agreed to match grey pricing for australian retailers + change warranty to 2 yrs so that consumers would support local retailers.

Upvote 0
4thchicken said:
melbournite said:
olivander said:

What did JB Hifi do?

they started selling grey imports of nikon/canon cameras. Eventually nikon agreed to match grey pricing for australian retailers + change warranty to 2 yrs so that consumers would support local retailers.

I didn't know JB's Canon gear is grey?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.