Expo readout 7D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2010
tzalmagor said:
See http://astrojargon.net/EOSInfo.aspx

Great, except that the EOSinfo app does not work with newer cameras - i.e. the 7D, T1i/500D, T2i/550D, and 60D (nor does it work with 1-series bodies). So unfortunately, that won't work for the OP.

However, the shutter count on a 7D, 500D, 550D, and some 1-series bodies can be checked with gPhoto2 (I don't think the 60D has been added yet). But, gPhoto2 runs only in a Unix shell, meaning you have to have a Mac or a Linux box to use it (and also some knowledge of working with a command-line interface, which you probably have if you're running Linux, but might not if you're a 'typical' Mac user).

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
zsolex said:
I have installed gphoto2 to Fedora. Unfortunatly I am not a big Linux expert.
How do you read the shutter counter? Should connect the camera to the PC or from picture?

Connect the camera via USB then power it on. The command you need is:

gphoto2 --get-config /main/status/shuttercounter

Hope that helps...

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
zsolex said:
Thanks.

I use Fedora 11 in VirtualBox(Win-> Fedora11)
Do I need any driver update on the Fedora before I connect the 7D or simply connect it?

Sorry, no idea on drivers or anything for running a Linux VM on a Windows machine. Personally, I'm a Mac user - we don't worry about drivers (except on the road), and Mac OS X has a Unix core which can be directly interfaced with the Terminal app.

I suppose you could just try connecting it, right? I do occasionally run a Windows VM on my Mac, and when I connect a USB device the VM software prompts me as to which OS I want to mount the device.

Upvote 0
zsolex said:
Thanks.

I use Fedora 11 in VirtualBox(Win-> Fedora11)
Do I need any driver update on the Fedora before I connect the 7D or simply connect it?

I'm also running Fedora (14).

That is worded ambiguously, so I will assume that Fedora is the host (on the bare metal), and Windows is the guest (the VM).

Between UDEV and VBox there is a way to make certain USB ids go straight into the VM as soon as they are connected. There is a guy I work with that has to do it to get his iPhone to work (also Fedora>VBox>Win). I don't know the exact details, but some Googling should get you there. I'll also see if I can get some details from the guy I work with.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.