finally giving up on Lr...best alternative?

Hi

have considered to switch to C1, myself. mostly due to the Adobe LR license policy.

One tong you could try to speed up is to have the cash file on a separate fast disk.
And a fast m.2 ssd as primary os drive.

have a fast 6 core system @4Ghz and a Samsung 950pro. had some lite lagging and moved the cache file over a a drive with 3 ssd's in raid 0. seems to have helped.

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2010
hovland said:
3 ssd's in raid 0. seems to have helped.

Just an observation from a former IT guy, SSDs in RAID 0 is a recipe for disaster: if any of them fail, the whole thing fails. If you're just using it as cache then it's a clever re-use of old gear. If it has real data on it, I strongly advise either replacing with a single high-quality drive, or a very robust and frequent backup scheme. Of course, you want a good backup scheme regardless, but it's even more important in this case.

Regards,

O

Upvote 0
Orangutan said:
hovland said:
3 ssd's in raid 0. seems to have helped.

Just an observation from a former IT guy, SSDs in RAID 0 is a recipe for disaster: if any of them fail, the whole thing fails. If you're just using it as cache then it's a clever re-use of old gear. If it has real data on it, I strongly advise either replacing with a single high-quality drive, or a very robust and frequent backup scheme. Of course, you want a good backup scheme regardless, but it's even more important in this case.

Regards,

O

Agree on that, just giving an example. And i don't generally recommend it, but its ok for a cache file.

Upvote 0

CSD

Photographer, WP Developer, and IT Geek.
Sep 3, 2015
Scotland
YuengLinger said:
One problem with Windows 10 is that it encouraged upgrading on top of the user's existing OS, meaning that problems didn't get fixed, they got built in to the upgrade. I understand that in cases drivers were swapped out, but often conflicts did not get addressed.

Which is why a clean install of Windows 10 makes such a big difference for so many users--they never had one in the first place.

Windows 10 does what's called a in-place install, it wipes the original OS and then installs the Win 10 image in it's place. It backs up and restores relevant user configuration files, but you can easily revert Win 10 back to factory defaults under the Restore settings if there are issues easily resolving any gremlins. You don't need to do a clean install. I've rolled out nearly 7,000 computers upgrading Win 7 and Win 8 in Enterprise environments. The most common issue I've seen is mostly drivers, usually nVidia or Intel, causing crashes according to SCCM logs. Drivers for Win 10 are pulled from Windows Update server or SCCM where applicable.

LDS said:
Keep on laughing, and read the Windows 10 TOS. My job is in cybersecurity and I have a clear view of what Microsoft is doing with Windows 10. Even the things Microsoft don't want you to know, because Windows 10 is not just a new OS, it's a new business model. Where most users are guinea pigs.

Let's see who will have the last laugh.

Actually I deal with people who do Penetration Testing and InfoSec, plus the people I work with have access to Windows (and Office) source code when required and/or flagged. Plus which ToS? There are several depending on contract and licence.

Upvote 0
LDS said:
There are again good reasons to switch to a Mac, if you don't want to be a guinea pig for Microsoft bigger customers.

This got my attention. I don't want to turn this into a flameware but out of curiosity how can someone working in cybersecurity advise to use Apple SW instead of MS SW? Aren't they both closed SW anyway?

Btw. We have 2 iPhones, 2 iPads, Apple TV and 2 MacBooks Pro at home and my experience with your statement is exactly opposite. Especially guinea pig example made me laugh, because Win 10 may be a new model which is making me Microsoft's guinea pig, but I'm Apple's guinea pig since I purchased their first product. Apple has unbelievable track of releasing badly tested SW to their customers just to meet the deadline. I very quickly learnt not to update when update becomes available. On the other hand, I've never had a problem with Windows because of updating.

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
Although you are not here to advertise your Excellent Lightroom books, I'd like to mention that I purchased a e-book in the past when I was learning Lightroom, and read it from cover to cover. It was well organized and easy to read.

digigal said:
I can certainly second that! The Missing FAQ by the LR Queen sits on my desk next to the my computer and another copy resides on my travel laptop. Vital references for using LR.

Keith_Reeder said:
Got to agree - The Missing FAQ is the definitive Lr source, IMHO.

Thank you very much guys!

drmikeinpdx said:
I wonder if the increasing file size from current sensors plays a role in slower Lightroom performance?

Yes, it has a huge impact. It's a lot more pixels to compute. That's where the new Smart Preview preference setting really comes into its own.

Upvote 0