Firmware: Canon EOS-1D X Mark III v1.2.1

Medium Format (?) global shutter, wow. Is it fujifilm / sony?

Ahhhhhh what the heck! It's Apple!

Apple is getting into 3D-XYZ plastic filament printing and 3D-XYZ metal powder deposition 3D printing in a BIG WAY and they needed a rugged and portable high quality Medium Format, Global Shutter combined Still Photo and Video imaging system that has a built-in LED/IR 3D-XYZ scanning system that is BOTH for video/stills and for engineering/design use. Ergo, they designed/built a new MF Global Shutter camera which I just happen to have seen.... :) ;-) :)

The pixels it saves are RGB + D (D is for distance) or YCbCr + D (D is for distance) as 64-bit pixels (16 bits per colour plus distance channel!) so not only is actual image data saved but also its 3D nature so one can capture, upload, edit and change 3D captured imagery within a VERY EASY-TO-USE CAD/CAM/FEA software system they supply and then you can 3D PRINT IT ALL in plastic filament (multiple types from ABS to Polyester and more!) AND in sintered Aluminum, Stainless Steel OR Titanium!

The 64-bit RGBA/YCbCrA pixels are ALSO good for extremely high quality video capture at 8192 by 4320 pixel resolution at 60 fps (and 120 fps soon enough!) at 64-bits per pixel. Still photos are 50.3 megapixels also 4:4:4:4 RAW or compressed! Because the pixels are 3D, it mean stills and video can be used in VFX, Virtual Reality AND Augmented Reality applications as a GIANT BONUS for this MF Global Shutter Camera System!

The MF camera will be very reasonably priced for professional videographers/still photographers and the 3D-XYZ plastic/metal printers will be ONE-HALF to ONE-THIRD the price of comparable 300 mm by 300 mm by 300 mm and 750 mm by 750 mm by 750 mm Metal/Filament 3D printing systems! They are fully sealed units that are quiet for home/business in-office use AND they will COME WITH easy-to-use but pro-level CAD/CAM/FEA software that is very comparable feature-wise to CATIA! Branded Ti/StS/Al Metal Powder and ABS/PE/etc Plastic Filament can be ordered online for next day delivery if you want!

It's all coming a lot sooner than people think!

IT REALLY TAKES NICE LOOKING STILLS AND VIDEO !!!!

V

Upvote 0
Heaters on the R5? Why not put in film mode to keep the temp balanced :)

It's around -272 C in space so we kind of have to try NOT to freeze/damage the cameras so we need to add heating systems and Borosilicate bubbles to ensure we can actually TAKE photos at 440 KM, 1500 KM and 30,000 km up...... ;-) :) ;-)

The solar radiation kinda kills the in-camera RAM chips and SSD/flash memory cards after awhile too!
So we also radiation harden/shield the cameras.

P.S. the cameras as they orbit Earth about every 1.5 hours and/or other orbit time-cycle, go through solar heating cycles which elevates temperature by quite a bit so they need to be cooled quite aggressively. The cameras are NOT exposed to the vacuum of space but rather in an enclosure so heating and cooling MUST be built in to the enclosure to protect the cameras. PLUS solar radiation TENDS to damage electronic components, RAM memory and SSD-based storage media. Not even our Earth's magnetosphere can protect the components to any great degree so we have to RAD-HARDEN the system also!

V

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Roo

CR Pro
Sep 12, 2013
Melbourne
I like my 1DX3, its defo an upgrade from the Mk2, it's better in a few ways than my R5, focus is solid on the 1DX3, and the camera is truly build like a tank, I love it, I think I am going to keep hold if it too, the OVF has low light advantages over the R5, other night at dusk I gave up with my R5.

I don't have the R5 but I'm also happy with the improvements in the Mk3 over the Mk2.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
It's around -272 K in space
Just to nitpick here, but that should be °C, not Kelvin. The Kelvin scale doesn't go below 0. Also, if one side of what ever object's temperature you are measuring is exposed to the sun, you've got your heating right there. It's not like a vacuum is a great conductor of heat.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

COBRASoft

EOS R5
CR Pro
Mar 21, 2014
Oudenburg, Belgium
It's around -272 K in space so we kind of have to try NOT to freeze/damage the cameras so we need to add heating systems and Borosilicate bubbles to ensure we can actually TAKE photos at 440 KM, 1500 KM and 30,000 km up...... ;-) :) ;-)

The solar radiation kinda kills the in-camera RAM chips and SSD/flash memory cards after awhile too!
So we also radiation harden/shield the cameras.

V
It was meant as a joke after all the overhearing YouTube stuff. I really digg my r5.

Upvote 0
Just to nitpick here, but that should be °C, not Kelvin. The Kelvin scale doesn't go below 0. Also, if one side of what ever object's temperature you are measuring is exposed to the sun, you've got your heating right there. It's not like a vacuum is a great conductor of heat.

I know --- habit on my part...fixing that....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
On the other hand, it's not much of an insulator, either. Solar energy passes right through it with no resistance.

He's technically correct in that conductor/conduction refers to material objects serving as a medium for heat transfer (and he used the word "conductor"). Vacuum does indeed allow for heat transfer via radiation, but radiation is not conduction--they are two distinct types of heat transfer. (Another major method of transfer is convection, where hot material physically moves to a colder location, which by definition requires a material to convect, so a vacuum won't allow for this either.)

Because radiation runs as the fourth power of the absolute temperature, a room temperature object will be very well insulated by a vacuum (it doesn't radiate much, comparatively) but the Sun, of course, is able to dump gobs of energy through radiation...because it's roughly twenty times hotter than room temperature and very big to boot. Thermos bottles probably wouldn't do much good on the Sun (even assuming they didn't instantly vaporize in the heat).

Upvote 0