Firmware: Canon EOS 5D Mark IV v1.3.0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
GPS has to be disabled or at least be in mode 2. In the latter case it is off when the camera is off but it is on during auto power off. Mode 2 keeps it ON all the time irrespective of the power switch.

I realize that you most probably know all these but I cannot think of anything else. My 5DIV battery does not get depleted.
Thanks. As an FYI, just checked and my GPS is set to disabled.
As I have heard others talk about this I thought it was a 5D4 issue in general. But, maybe I’ll send it in over the winter and see if Canon can find something. Still, overall. Great camera.

Upvote 0
Should voice-calls, text, and games be added too? You might be onto something. Maybe Adobe, seriously, already has a version of LR ready to use on Sony cameras? That would be really amazing!

As for saving the big-camera (meaning cameras that take two hands to hold) industry, I'm not sure that just better sharing would be able to solve the problems of portability and Swiss Army knife usefulness that phones offer. Can you imagine all the girls out clubbing, taking selfies with their besties using a 5DIV? I can't. My R6 doesn't fit in a purse or pocket. It isn't with me 24/7. It doesn't let me do Instagram (but maybe it should)...Banking? Nope. But, hey, maybe if we could just share some jpegs taken with a $3000+ body with a large lens, that would crack the generational code!

On the other hand, a few extra sales might have been generated with an Instagram button. Maybe. 20-20 hindsight.

And, btw, I've found that those who start an argument pointing out age are just reaching that age when they are starting to worry about age. Paunch. A few gray hairs. A few less hairs. Not quite the energy you had just a few years ago. It's ok. Just get good rest, eat properly, exercise sensibly, and don't get lost in nostalgia.

Thanks for your compelling insights.

If you want to be respected befitting your age then reply respectfully.

Being sarcastic does not lend to anyone who craves being treated kindly.

The idea of better connectivity that I presented are for Canon & Nikon to gain new customers who are buying their first large camera and not for preexisting users who are largely dying out. Brooks Brothers tried that business model of catering to the elderly and look at where they are now. I see Canon & Nikon following a similar playbook.

If you are not aware of it still digital camera shipments has its worst year in over a dozen years in 2019. 2020 is expected to be even worse all the events that spur sales and photographer work has been cancelled.

I prefer to take photos using a large camera for the image quality and control but the friction of transferring photos from a Canon to my iPhone is such that it is something only those who prep for the shortcomings of Canon can only do.

I reply back to your idea as if it were a serious suggestion rather than an idea to mock and derided as it does cut cost, labor, weight and time.

If I could do all the post work in camera and be sent via Gigabit LTE or WiFi that would be nice. For businesses It would cut the cost of having to buy a Mac or Adobe but that is not Canon & Nikon's strengths so better connectivity to an iPhone or Android would be a better fit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
AN INSTAGRAM BUTTON COULD SAVE THE PLANET!
Instagram and its parent Facebook are # 25 and 4 among the global top websites.

They both are the most popular platforms to share photos today.

Samsung some years ago did a market survey on what consumers look for when buying a new smartphone.

They tend to prioritize the built-in cameras and ease of sharing photos as major selling points.

Unlike Canon/Nikon cameras people buying smartphones gets "pushed" an upgrade every 2 years when their contracts are up for renewal. Those on the budget lengthen it to 3 years or to even to 8 years.

It took Canon 4 years to move from the 5D Mark III to the Mark IV as they did not ship that many. And there is no telco amortizing the cost over a 2 or even 4 year contract. That's friction for people wanting to buy full frame camera but whose cashflow cannot handle big purchases.

What's more flickr has a list of the most popular cameras that users use. Top 5 cameras are iPhones. Top brand is Apple. 2nd and 3rd most popular brands are Canon & Nikon.

I just find it sad that Canon & Nikon were slow to act to consumer trends. They probably had decision makers who made fun of smartphones... until it impacted their bottom line.

Also, if you are a working photographer looking to get new clients then having a Facebook or Instagram business page is a must or else you are not relevant to people born in the 1970s-onwards.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
If you want to be respected befitting your age then reply respectfully.

Being sarcastic does not lend to anyone who craves being treated kindly.

The idea of better connectivity that I presented are for Canon & Nikon to gain new customers who are buying their first large camera and not for preexisting users who are largely dying out. Brooks Brothers tried that business model of catering to the elderly and look at where they are now. I see Canon & Nikon following a similar playbook.

If you are not aware of it still digital camera shipments has its worst year in over a dozen years in 2019. 2020 is expected to be even worse all the events that spur sales and photographer work has been cancelled.

I prefer to take photos using a large camera for the image quality and control but the friction of transferring photos from a Canon to my iPhone is such that it is something only those who prep for the shortcomings of Canon can only do.

I reply back to your idea as if it were a serious suggestion rather than an idea to mock and derided as it does cut cost, labor, weight and time.

If I could do all the post work in camera and be sent via Gigabit LTE or WiFi that would be nice. For businesses It would cut the cost of having to buy a Mac or Adobe but that is not Canon & Nikon's strengths so better connectivity to an iPhone or Android would be a better fit.

I'm not buying any of your premises. Most of the point-and-shoots and dSLR's sold before 2010, when sales started to decline, were to consumers who wanted nice quality photos of friends, family, vacations, and special events. For the most part, smart-phone cameras began to take the place of those cameras, plus providing communication, maps, restaurant reviews, banking, and on and on. And the smartphone cameras just keep getting better and better. And, clearly, billions of people love their ergonomics! The enthusiast and pro markets may have consumers willing to spend a lot on high-end cameras, but they have always been only a fraction of the total sales of dedicated cameras. So of course volumes have plunged.

Like I said, in all seriousness earlier, maybe an Instagram type of button would have slightly increased sales, but I don't believe significantly.

As for post processing in a dSLR? Well, if all you want is to slap some Instagram filters on, sure, why not. But the average smartphone today has quite a bit more screen space than the back of even a FF body's screen. Really? Use the back LCD to process photos and upload them?

I'm fortunate to be friends with several members of an endangered species: photojournalists. They shoot only jpgs, run to their car, connect to a laptop with mobile data, chose a few images to send their editor, and upload. That's it. Sometimes they work on contrast, sharpening, and a few other corrections, but very rushed, very quickly. A few do use iPads for the same basic workflow. But these are such a minority of photographers! They have to get the photos up for a deadline and on to the next assignment.

Why are photojournalists almost extinct? Because, collectively, there are millions of ordinary people with smartphones or decent dSLRs and laptos who happen to already be on the scene of something newsworthy, ready to photograph it. Look at some of the extraordinary and heart wrenching footage just this year in 2020. Shaky, amateur smartphones caught the tragedies. A photojournalist showing up after the fact to take some reaction photos just can't compete with that, I'm afraid.

As for event photographers, who are they competing against? Do you think they feel so worried about smartphones instantly posting to social media that they can't compete with well composed, carefully processed photos loaded the same night or the next morning? If so, I believe you are wrong. Charity, festival, and other event organizers want above average images to convey the impact and relevance of their events--and they are willing to wait until the next day for such photos.

While I can see that a tiny percentage of photographers would love to just take great jpgs, rate them in camera, make a few adjustments and post them, for most people, this type of quick, pretty much snapshot kind of photography works just fine on a decent smartphone now.

A cheap dSLR with a cheap kit lens is not head and shoulders above a good iPhone or Samsung or Moto for IQ quality. Ok, slap on a 70-200mm and you've got reach, a 100-400mm more, but the market for that kind of bulk has dried up!

If you want to believe that Canon and Nikon have seen sales dwindle because they weren't using cutting edge connectivity in their point-and-shoots and dSLR's ten years ago, I can't talk you out of it. But I don't agree with you at all. Styles change. What people carry with them changes.

These opinions are based on my observations, and reading business news, and seeing how the trade/profession has changed in just ten years. Perhaps I'm off base to a degree. Maybe others could prove that consumers drifted away from dedicated cameras because the cameras just couldn't upload to social media easily enough, that smartphones would not have replaced dedicated cameras if a few simple features had been added. But what you've written doesn't come close. And saying that social media is important for promoting a business is a bit off topic, as well as old news for over a decade now.

This thread started as a report about Canon still updating, still incrementally improving through firmware a camera that has been very popular over the past four years--while at the same time promoting its replacements. I guess I had a knee jerk reaction to your complaining about features STILL missing from the 5DIV, and I was irritated. So yes, I was sarcastic. Then, instead of explaining why you thought connectivity is vital to saving enthusiast and pro photography, you come up with, "Ok, boomer." This is a bigoted, dismissive type of attack, just as pathetic as dismissive attacks based on race, gender, nationality, or religion. I don't like any of them. And, based on a guess, you are mature enough to know better.

When I was in my 30's and 40's, I was working so hard, and traveling to find work, and just enjoying and caring for the people in my life, I didn't have the leisure time to brood about getting older. I still don't!

Life goes by too fast to worry about how fast it goes by!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Maybe the battery drain problem is the batteries depletes themself on their own, rather than the body drains the batteries. I tested my 10 LP-E6N batteries (which came totally discharged out of the box) in 5D4 and 5D3 bodies and they reached the "not powering on" state in 1-2 weeks (in any body, with or without grip). Besides them I have 4 of older LP-E6 batteries not showing any signs of discharging in the same bodies, in the same time interval. So the question is: why are the LP-E6Ns discharged so fast when the LP-E6s not?

Upvote 0