Firmware: Canon EOS R v1.4.0, this is a major firmware update (Update: Firmware removed)

They've slow-rolled this entire mirrorless program.
You call a jump from 0 to "better than a Sony AII" and 8 lenses within not even 1 year "slow rolled"? Okurrrrrr...

I own too much Canon stuff to even consider switching to Sony, but I watch the Sony auto-focus reviews enviously...
Well, maybe watch these in the meantime:

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
They need to fix the black-out lag. Its almost unusable as a portrait camera

"Active" portraits, yes. For tight framing, I'm finding that anything more than a short burst, you just try to keep the subject in the frame while they gesture, move about...It can be frustrating unless the subject is relatively still--or responding to directions. Adds new meaning to "spray and pray." I'm wondering how this is going to be for events.

Hoping for some improvement with this firmware update, but I think we won't see a significantly faster EVF until the next body is released.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
D@mn! I have Eye-AF in a very dark environment at 6(!!) meters with the RF50 now! The AF point is also MUCH smoother to move around. This is great! Got a few shots of my wife with her glasses on, and while they are not sunglasses and dark, I'm happy to say the Eye-AF missed the glasses and got the nearest eye no matter how lose or far out from the face they were.

Last edited:
Upvote 0