Firmware: Canon EOS R v1.4.0, this is a major firmware update (Update: Firmware removed)

Mar 25, 2011
For real? I've had no problems using it for weddings for a year now.

(Unless you're shooting move portraits then yeah I get it).
I turn off the review, so there is no blackout, but moving subjects creates a difficult situation because I can't track them and close the shutter at the right instant. Still subjects are no issue.

Upvote 0
Amateurs... I would think they would want to narrow the gap on their competitors as quickly as possible. However, this should not surprise anyone. They've slow-rolled this entire mirrorless program. To be clear, I'm a Canon shooter that's hoping they pull their heads from their asses quickly. I own too much Canon stuff to even consider switching to Sony, but I watch the Sony auto-focus reviews enviously...
As a software engineer for 35 years, it is common that a possible bug was reported at the last minute. Some of these are user error while others are software bugs. From my experience only 10% of beta testers actually do extensive testing. The others might spend an hour or less. I'd rather have the issue in investigate the reported issue to determine if user error or software error and fix it rather than install several firmware updates

Upvote 0

jazzytune

EOS 80D looking to buy EOS R soon...
Sep 6, 2019
As a software engineer for 35 years, it is common that a possible bug was reported at the last minute. Some of these are user error while others are software bugs. From my experience only 10% of beta testers actually do extensive testing. The others might spend an hour or less. I'd rather have the issue in investigate the reported issue to determine if user error or software error and fix it rather than install several firmware updates
Of course, this guy won't come back here to say that he was wrong and that the 1.4 version of the firmware was a great upgrade!

Upvote 0

jazzytune

EOS 80D looking to buy EOS R soon...
Sep 6, 2019
Well you would be wrong. I also never install a new update for a couple of weeks to see if there are any major issues. Most pro photographers I know are the same.
Actually, my reply wasn't directed at you but towards the post you were quoting where rgeorge33 was complaining about Canon's mirrorless program

Upvote 0