Firmware: Canon EOS R3 v1.2.0 released

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon has released firmware v1.2.0 for the Canon EOS R3.
Firmware Version 1.2.0 incorporates the following enhancements and fixes:

Adds the ability to set “Custom high speed continuous” to the Drive mode. It is possible to shoot from 2 to 50 images continuously at a speed of approximately 30 to 195 fps.
Adds the ability to select “FHD 239.76 fps/200.00 fps” in “High frame rate.”
Adds the ability for in camera “Depth compositing” during “Focus bracketing.”
Adds Focus bracketing and depth compositing with a flash (Speedlite EL-1).
Adds the ability of time-lapse movie recording. Note that the time-lapse movie setting is retained even if the camera enters the Auto Power Off state before starting time-lapse movie recording.
Adds the ability of Cloud RAW processing functionality. RAW processing with the latest...

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 user

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
195 FPS shooting sounds cool
It's not. LOL You press the shutter once and the camera captured a maximum of 50 images in 0.26 seconds and then your camera can't be used for the next 10-12 seconds as it writes the files to the card. I'm not really sure what I'll use this for...it's cool that they added it, but knowing what the camera is capabale of with this new feature now means that I wish they would dial it back and make it more usable or add a pre-shot buffer. Without the pre-shot buffer, it really limits when I will ever use it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
I've shot on this new firmware all day and have almost 2,000 images with it already. My observations have been that nothing has improved with IBIS for still images that I can tell. It still fights you when you zoom the 100-500 at over 400mm and try to pan or you are initially setting up your shot. It's a totally different behavior to the IBIS system! I've confirmed the same issues using my friend's 100-500, so it's certainly the body, as it doesn't happen with my R5.

The 195fps shooting mode is really poorly implemented, IMO, and I predict we will see another update soon to fix the bug where the mode ALWAYS defaults back to 195fps when you turn the camera off and back on. So if you wanted to use slower frame rates it will kick you back to the maximum and not remember your settings.****Edit*** this hasn’t defaulted back to 195 again after my initial uses with it last night and today. Tried it again and it worked fine and didn’t default back. So maybe I’m crazy?

240fps video.....*chef's kiss* .....this mode is going to get a LOT of use by me. It looks incredible just like 4K120p.

More to come.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
My observations have been that nothing has improved with IBIS for still images that I can tell. It still fights you when you zoom the 100-500 at over 400mm and try to pan or you are initially setting up your shot. It's a totally different behavior to the IBIS system! I've confirmed the same issues using my friend's 100-500, so it's certainly the body, as it doesn't happen with my R5.
How does it ‘fight you’? I haven’t experienced any issues with the R3 + 100-500 combo. Composing a shot is what I consider normal in mode 1 (nicely stabilized at 500mm), and in mode 3 (jittery when composing, no blur in the captured image). Panning detection seems to work fine in mode 2.

Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
Not
How does it ‘fight you’? I haven’t experienced any issues with the R3 + 100-500 combo. Composing a shot is what I consider normal in mode 1 (nicely stabilized at 500mm), and in mode 3 (jittery when composing, no blur in the captured image). Panning detection seems to work fine in mode 2.
Not sure how to describe it other than the system fights against you as you try to move with a subject. Then it catches up to where you’re actually pointing the camera and it can be jarring. At its worst, it will aggressively correct for your movements and jitter the image in the viewfinder a bit. This was something I never experienced with the 1DX in Mode 1. Now it’s a major hindrance with how and what I shoot. Because I’m not actually panning on the X-axis, but following a car around a series of corners or down a hill or an off road vehicle across a cliff or off a ledge. So mode 2 is mostly useless unless going for deliberate horizontal axis pan blurs.

This issue never existed on the R5 or the R6. But I find that the IBIS is particularly aggressive with the R3. And I feel like I “fight” it. I want to disable IBIS entirely separate from lens IS. I’m extremely disappointed by this and bring it up to Canon every chance I talk to them. They said they hear it a lot so hopefully it’s something they’re working on.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
So to use flash when focus stacking you need to get the top of the range $1000 EL-1 speedlite..

Hope this feature is coming to other cameras like the R5 and R7, but most of all, I hope you can use other flash units too!!!! Like you can with Olympus. I know loads of guys who do focus stacking with godox flashes (that are about $150) on Olympus cameras and the results are absolutely fantastic. I’d love the ability to do that with my Canon.

Upvote 0

Dreysi

Canon R3, Sony A7s
Jul 7, 2016
It's not. LOL You press the shutter once and the camera captured a maximum of 50 images in 0.26 seconds and then your camera can't be used for the next 10-12 seconds as it writes the files to the card. I'm not really sure what I'll use this for...it's cool that they added it, but knowing what the camera is capabale of with this new feature now means that I wish they would dial it back and make it more usable or add a pre-shot buffer. Without the pre-shot buffer, it really limits when I will ever use it.
It says you can adjust it from 30 to 195 so it can be dialled back. Someone please correct me if I am incorrect but I do believe it does say can be fully adjustable

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
It says you can adjust it from 30 to 195 so it can be dialled back. Someone please correct me if I am incorrect but I do believe it does say can be fully adjustable
Not fully adjustable (e.g., you can’t set it to 132 fps), but there are many frame rate options between 30 and 195 fps.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
This is insane. 50 frames at a 195 fps. If you have an aversion to making decisions picking the picture you want to keep out of 50 identical sharp images will drive you crazy.
Olympus bodies have had a similar mode for a while now, although not as fast at 120fps, and the way people generally use it is kind of like an enhanced single shot mode. You set the limit to a relatively small number, maybe 4-6 frames, and then shoot like normal. It's very helpful for subjects where getting the exact timing makes a significant difference in the end result.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0