Firmware: Canon EOS R5 C v1.0.2.1 is now available

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon has released firmware v1.0.2.1 for the Canon EOS R5C.
Please note that this firmware update must be performed in VIDEO mode.
Firmware Version 1.0.2.1 incorporates the following fix and enhancements:

Built-in Mic Audio Off

The internal microphone on the camera body can now be turned off. (VIDEO mode)

Fixes an issue, in which, in rare instances, the camera cannot be normally operated when operating the REC button with the camera set to the [Continuous Recording] function.(VIDEO mode)
Fixes minor issues when using the CINE-SERVO lens. (VIDEO mode)

Canon Support for EOS R5 C | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

Continue reading...

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
That would kinda go against it being a cinema camera,. It sounds like you’d prefer a regular R5.
Ah yes a canon apologist at any cost .

What does the same scroll wheel on the c70 not working on the R5C have to do with it being a cinema camera.

How about wifi for monitoring, despite the radio already being in the camera?

How about the inability to turn the fan off to save battery life? Why would that be cinema specific?

Oh yes let’s take out video from the r5 firmware on the photo side because it’s in the video side. It makes no sense to do other than to sell that it has a cinema side. Just make the camera functional. Carry on.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Let us shoot video in photo mode, enable the scroll wheel, fix the battery life in video and enable wifi on the video side.

Let us shoot video in photo mode
Separate cinema OS negates the need for this; it only takes 6 seconds to switch over and you get more specific video OS.

fix the battery life in video
the fan, and maybe also the cinema mode OS make this very unlikely with the current in camera battery used. An easy solution is use a external PD powerbank. I get 6-10 hours filming time (depending on res). It’s a simple and easy solution - mount on the camera rig, tripod or carry in a pocket/bag. The cable doesn’t get in the way at all - and works well on a gimbal.

enable wifi on the video side.
Agree. This is crap they hobbled this option.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Scenes

Filmmaker
Jun 12, 2014
UK
Ah yes a canon apologist at any cost .

What does the same scroll wheel on the c70 not working on the R5C have to do with it being a cinema camera.

How about wifi for monitoring, despite the radio already being in the camera?

How about the inability to turn the fan off to save battery life? Why would that be cinema specific?

Oh yes let’s take out video from the r5 firmware on the photo side because it’s in the video side. It makes no sense to do other than to sell that it has a cinema side. Just make the camera functional. Carry on.
Not an apologist. I’ve used cameras from all brands. But canon clearly see this is a cinema camera and won’t supply the features you want.

The R5C runs the c70 operating system which doesn’t even know there’s wifi chips ect there. And they’re not just going to ‘add’ video back to photo mode.

Rather than moan about Canon not doing this or that I’m suggesting you take the cameras as they are. The R5C clearly doesn’t work for your needs. Get an R5 or R3 or switch to another brand that does do what you want!

Calling me names on a forum isn’t going to get canon to change their policy one bit.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
Let us shoot video in photo mode
Separate cinema OS negates the need for this; it only takes 6 seconds to switch over and you get more specific video OS.

fix the battery life in video
the fan, and maybe also the cinema mode OS make this very unlikely with the current in camera battery used. An easy solution is use a external PD powerbank. I get 6-10 hours filming time (depending on res). It’s a simple and easy solution - mount on the camera rig, tripod or carry in a pocket/bag. The cable doesn’t get in the way at all - and works well on a gimbal.

enable wifi on the video side.
Agree. This is crap they hobbled this option.

Not an apologist. I’ve used cameras from all brands. But canon clearly see this is a cinema camera and won’t supply the features you want.

The R5C runs the c70 operating system which doesn’t even know there’s wifi chips ect there. And they’re not just going to ‘add’ video back to photo mode.

Rather than moan about Canon not doing this or that I’m suggesting you take the cameras as they are. The R5C clearly doesn’t work for your needs. Get an R5 or R3 or switch to another brand that does do what you want!

Calling me names on a forum isn’t going to get canon to change their policy one bit.
None of this makes it any less an half baked launch. Just saying the R5C has c70 firmware doesn’t make it any less half baked.

The scroll wheel even works on the c70.

The boot time is 9 seconds I’ve timed it.

The actual hardware is in the camera for wifi and is used in photo mode.

They had to take the video mode out of the photo side, when it was already there.

It’s not a matter of switching brands back and forth. That’s crazy. The hope is to get the most out of the hardware you have. It’s similar to overheating that is thankfully fixed two years later. The camera is capable, it just needs to be updated. Can’t believe there’s people out there saying if you want a scroll wheel to work switch to Sony. Im just going to assume Canon has people on the board.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
None of this makes it any less an half baked launch. Just saying the R5C has c70 firmware doesn’t make it any less half baked.

The scroll wheel even works on the c70.

The boot time is 9 seconds I’ve timed it.

The actual hardware is in the camera for wifi and is used in photo mode.

They had to take the video mode out of the photo side, when it was already there.

It’s not a matter of switching brands back and forth. That’s crazy. The hope is to get the most out of the hardware you have. It’s similar to overheating that is thankfully fixed two years later. The camera is capable, it just needs to be updated. Can’t believe there’s people out there saying if you want a scroll wheel to work switch to Sony. Im just going to assume Canon has people on the board.
A lot of us love the camera just the way it is.
If you think there are features that should be added then it is best to make that request to Canon.
If enough people make the same request then Canon is prone to making an update.

Upvote 0

robotfist

Cinematographer/Photographer - Canon C300 III
Oct 23, 2017
Los Angeles
The R5C needs Clog 2. In my opinion, it’s not a Canon cinema series camera without that log profile. The sensor’s true dynamic range is being held back in video mode on purpose which sucks. Canon needs to put Clog2 in the R5C. They held back raw in the C70 at first and then decided to add it via a firmware update. The same should happen with Clog2 and the R5C.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
The R5C needs Clog 2. In my opinion, it’s not a Canon cinema series camera without that log profile. The sensor’s true dynamic range is being held back in video mode on purpose which sucks. Canon needs to put Clog2 in the R5C. They held back raw in the C70 at first and then decided to add it via a firmware update. The same should happen with Clog2 and the R5C.
CLOG2 does not magically add dynamic range.
CLOG3 is capable of 14+ stops of dynamic range which is all that the R5 C can achieve.

Upvote 0

Scenes

Filmmaker
Jun 12, 2014
UK
CLOG3 is capable of 14+ stops of dynamic range which is all that the R5 C can achieve.
Agreed. I’m not sure people understand what they’re asking for. It’s like demanding they add an option to the 90D to record in 12K. Sure. They could. But the sensor can’t do it so what would be the point?

Canon see clog 2 for dynamic range of 15+ stops. It’s that simple. 14 and below is clog3. not excusing it just trying to explain the thinking.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Hello everybody

Installed the new firmware....as you do.... only to notice video frame rates have dropped from 59 fps to 50fps.....is this still the same product as I purchased as they advertised. 8k raw lt was coming of at 59.9fps.....?
You might have changed regions without realizing it.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Thank you

I thought frame rates were universal like file extensions, I know PAL system have different stds but I did set for UK on purchase settings have not changed just the frame rate was 59.9 now 50......is your's set for U.S.A ?
Actually, I don't even remember which standard uses 25 and which uses 30....I just know there's a difference, the US standard is named NTSC and most other places use PAL...and of course I noticed that 50 and 60 are twice those numbers and so to do a double-frame rate video...

I'm pretty sure mine is set for US; I just don't remember what that works out to.

(You can tell I don't use video much!)

Upvote 0

robotfist

Cinematographer/Photographer - Canon C300 III
Oct 23, 2017
Los Angeles
Actually, yes it does, lol. I've been shooting Canon cinema series cameras since the original C300. CLOG2 absolutely exhibits more dynamic range than CLOG3. That's the purpose of it. It's much harder to grade as a result, but it does give you more detail in the highlights, whereas Clog3 is easier to grade and gives you a little more in the shadows/mids. And the R5C does not exhibit 14+ stops with CLOG3 at all. It's about 11 stops above the noise floor. Don't believe me, please check the chart:

Last edited:
Upvote 0