Firmware: Canon EOS R5 v1.6.0 now available

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon has released firmware v1.6.0 for the Canon EOS R5.
Firmware Version 1.6.0 incorporates the following enhancements and fixes:

Adds [Auto Power Off Temp.: Standard/High] to the menu for movie recording. When [High] is selected, the camera will not automatically turn off when the temperature of the camera body and card become high, which may allow for longer movie recording than before, depending on the shooting conditions. Note that the temperature of the bottom surface of the camera may increase at this time.
Adds the ability to convert multiple HEIF images into multiple JPEG images.
Enhances the performance of “Movie Digital IS”. It stabilizes the image when taking selfies or walking shots using a wide-angle lens.
Fixes minor issues.

Download firmware v1.6.0 for the Canon EOS R5

Continue reading...

Last edited:

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Video shooters must be wondering why the hell it's taken so long for Canon to add [Auto Power Off Temp.: Standard/High] to the menu for movie recording...

... and as a stills shooter I'm left wondering why the hell Canon hasn't sorted out:

a) the freezes and lockups that many users experience.
b) the option to shoot bracketed exposures with electronic shutter.
c) ability to shoot at burst speeds slower than 20fps with electronic shutter.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Video shooters must be wondering why the hell it's taken so long for Canon to add [Auto Power Off Temp.: Standard/High] to the menu for movie recording...

... and as a stills shooter I'm left wondering why the hell Canon hasn't sorted out:

b) the option to shot bracketed exposures with electronic shutter.

Upvote 0
I'll start by saying that I don't do video clips more than 30-60 seconds very often with my R5. But based solely on principle, it infuriates me that they left the 30-minute time limit after this firmware update. It's one thing to have a company stance so that you don't cannibalize your cinema cameras, but they have crossed that barrier with the R7. So my R5 which is higher end and over twice the cost has to have this artificial limitation but a lower end does not?!?! Anti-consumer software limitations make me want to kick people in bad places. *Deep breath in........and out*. Okay I'm better now.

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
Upvote 0
I'll start by saying that I don't do video clips more than 30-60 seconds very often with my R5. But based solely on principle, it infuriates me that they left the 30-minute time limit after this firmware update. It's one thing to have a company stance so that you don't cannibalize your cinema cameras, but they have crossed that barrier with the R7. So my R5 which is higher end and over twice the cost has to have this artificial limitation but a lower end does not?!?! Anti-consumer software limitations make me want to kick people in bad places. *Deep breath in........and out*. Okay I'm better now.
I don’t shoot video but I’m pretty sure I’ve seen tutorials with longer than 30 minutes recording time when using an external device. I believe that also prevents overheating issues if the battery is external and theres no card in camera. But don’t quote me.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

chrisrmueller

CR Pro
Oct 23, 2018
I understand your frustration. I shoot interviews and still have to use the Atomos for this on the R5. I really don’t understand why they can’t remove this restriction. Has it been tested with 1.6.0 yet? Any chance they removed the restriction silently?

Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
If the R7 doesn't have it, then maybe it is not about "cannibalizing cinema cameras", but something else.
What I don't understand is, you shoot 30-60sec and it infuriates you. I shoot 3hour concerts and rehearsals and it doesn't bother me.
It would be great if they remove it, but that is at position 100 in my wish list of what to improve my camera.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
I understand your frustration. I shoot interviews and still have to use the Atomos for this on the R5. I really don’t understand why they can’t remove this restriction. Has it been tested with 1.6.0 yet? Any chance they removed the restriction silently?
No, they haven't. what I like though is, that I can shoot 8K30 for 29.59 now.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
Hi, what you mean -wobbie-? what is the problem you are facing? can you explain please in plain English?

This is a fairly well known/common issue with canon's IBIS implementation when shooting video. When using wide angle lenses, the image captured near the edge of the frame will often move around as the IBIS compensates. Gives the recorded clip a jelly/wobble/warp look. Folks have been asking for a less aggressive IBIS (or the ability to turn off IBIS but retain lens IS) since launch.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2017
Many of us would prefer that Canon release these updates after extensive testing guaranteeing that the sensor or logic board won't get cooked. It would be detrimental if they had released these features earlier and caused the R5's to be less reliable.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
This is a fairly well known/common issue with canon's IBIS implementation when shooting video. When using wide angle lenses, the image captured near the edge of the frame will often move around as the IBIS compensates. Gives the recorded clip a jelly/wobble/warp look. Folks have been asking for a less aggressive IBIS (or the ability to turn off IBIS but retain lens IS) since launch.
If you want that effect to go away, then shoot in crop mode (the 4k is very good). The problem is caused by the fact that the lens has distortion near the edges so when the IBIS moves the sensor, the distortion changes and the distortion correction is just not smart enough to compensate. The other alternative if you want the full wide angle of view is to turn off IS altogether and shoot with a gimbal. Note that just turning off IBIS (if you could) would potentially reduce the problem, but not eliminate it and it would also reduce the amount of stabilization available. Bottom line, what works great for stills doesn't always work well for video and that is why Cine lenses are so much more expensive than still lenses in spite of the fact that they are often less sharp.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

b) the option to shoot bracketed exposures with electronic shutter.
This is easy, most of the Canon R5s that were purchased early on, and possibly count for a majority of the ones in the wild are now past their manufacturer warranty. If the camera torches itself at this point, they won't be responsible for fixing many of them free of charge. Now they can try and get a 2nd surge of income from charging to fix peoples cameras.

Upvote 0