Firmware: Canon EOS RP v1.5.0 and Canon EOS R v1.7.0

Frodo

EOS RP
Nov 3, 2012
I couldn't find the updated user manual that supposedly explains the improvements.

I'm still optimistic that we may get a useful firmware update, like the one that improved AF. Given the pricing of the R6, the R doesn't compete with the other models and fills an important position in the R line. It would appear to be in Canon's interests to keep the R competitive.

briangus

EOS 90D
CR Pro
Apr 6, 2017
Bangkok
Talking of grips, anyone know if there's 3rd party battery grip for the EOS R yet? I just can't make my wallet part with so much money for such a thing
Not seen any for sale, I bought the Mieke MK-EOSRG grip a couple of weeks ago and helps the balance with the 28-70 and 85.
Similar to the RP grip but not as good quality

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Talking of grips, anyone know if there's 3rd party battery grip for the EOS R yet? I just can't make my wallet part with so much money for such a thing

Nope, but I will say this -

I have a Vello on my 70D, my 7D2, and my 5D4. When I bought the EOS-R I went ahead and bought the Canon grip.

It's worth the premium. It feels better, it's built better, and it just fits better.

YMMV.

When I pre-ordered my R5 I bought the Canon grip right along with it. I didn't balk at the price because I could actually feel the difference on my EOS-R.

I am surprised Vello doesn't have one yet.

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Anyone know if the firmware is mirrored somewhere in English?

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
So in 10/20 years when I pull out a old R5 to play with, will I need a firmware upgrade for it to work with the 100-500mm f/4-5.6 II ? It seems almost every model needs a software patch, which is a bit odd and concerning for the future. Perhaps over thinking this a wee bit.
I think the firmware updates alway appeared with lenses that require some 'trickery', right? Cropping the edges off the FF image for the 24-240 mm, stretching the image like rubber for the 24-105 mm 7.1 and maybe the extension feature or the f/11 aperture is something that requires addressing in software. Maybe the limited AF area has something to do with it. That would explain to me, why the extenders are also affected.

I can't imagine that they need to issue updates for every lens. After all, the info for stabilization and correction should be all in the lens itself. I guess it is only when they add to the information found in the lens, they also will issue updates to the cameras to make use of that info.

Feb 15, 2020
Interesting update.. question: I just had my EOS R serviced to map out some dead pixels... would updating the firmware undo that?

Mt Spokane Photography

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Mar 25, 2011
I've updated my R and my RF 35mm 1.8. I don't really use any of the updates, everything seems the same, so far, so if there are glitches, they didn't affect me.

Reactions: CanonFanBoy