Firmware: Canon EOS RP v1.5.0 and Canon EOS R v1.7.0

Nov 3, 2012
I couldn't find the updated user manual that supposedly explains the improvements.

I'm still optimistic that we may get a useful firmware update, like the one that improved AF. Given the pricing of the R6, the R doesn't compete with the other models and fills an important position in the R line. It would appear to be in Canon's interests to keep the R competitive.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

briangus

CR Pro
Apr 6, 2017
Bangkok
Talking of grips, anyone know if there's 3rd party battery grip for the EOS R yet? I just can't make my wallet part with so much money for such a thing
Not seen any for sale, I bought the Mieke MK-EOSRG grip a couple of weeks ago and helps the balance with the 28-70 and 85.
Similar to the RP grip but not as good quality

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Talking of grips, anyone know if there's 3rd party battery grip for the EOS R yet? I just can't make my wallet part with so much money for such a thing

Nope, but I will say this -

I have a Vello on my 70D, my 7D2, and my 5D4. When I bought the EOS-R I went ahead and bought the Canon grip.

It's worth the premium. It feels better, it's built better, and it just fits better.

YMMV.

When I pre-ordered my R5 I bought the Canon grip right along with it. I didn't balk at the price because I could actually feel the difference on my EOS-R.

I am surprised Vello doesn't have one yet.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
So in 10/20 years when I pull out a old R5 to play with, will I need a firmware upgrade for it to work with the 100-500mm f/4-5.6 II ? It seems almost every model needs a software patch, which is a bit odd and concerning for the future. Perhaps over thinking this a wee bit.
I think the firmware updates alway appeared with lenses that require some 'trickery', right? Cropping the edges off the FF image for the 24-240 mm, stretching the image like rubber for the 24-105 mm 7.1 and maybe the extension feature or the f/11 aperture is something that requires addressing in software. Maybe the limited AF area has something to do with it. That would explain to me, why the extenders are also affected.

I can't imagine that they need to issue updates for every lens. After all, the info for stabilization and correction should be all in the lens itself. I guess it is only when they add to the information found in the lens, they also will issue updates to the cameras to make use of that info.

Upvote 0