Firmware: Canon EOS RP v1.5.0 and Canon EOS R v1.7.0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon has released compatibility firmware for both the Canon EOS RP and Canon EOS R cameras.
Canon EOS RP Firmware Version 1.5.0 incorporates the following enhancements:

Support has been added for the following lenses:

Canon RF 600mm f/11 IS STM
Canon RF 800mm /f11 IS STM
Canon EXTENDER RF 1.4×
Canon EXTENDER RF 2×

Download firmware v1.5.0 from Canon Poland
Canon EOS R Firmware Version 1.7.0 incorporates the following enhancements:

Support has been added for the following lenses:

Canon RF 600mm f/11 IS STM...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
So in 10/20 years when I pull out a old R5 to play with, will I need a firmware upgrade for it to work with the 100-500mm f/4-5.6 II ? It seems almost every model needs a software patch, which is a bit odd and concerning for the future. Perhaps over thinking this a wee bit.

Probably not, but the RF mount is obviously going to continue to evolve and there may be new instructions for image stabilization and autofocus.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
So in 10/20 years when I pull out a old R5 to play with, will I need a firmware upgrade for it to work with the 100-500mm f/4-5.6 II ? It seems almost every model needs a software patch, which is a bit odd and concerning for the future. Perhaps over thinking this a wee bit.
I feel like my 5D4 would always get firmware update when they would announce new lenses too.

Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
They just can't let that stupid touchy bar die, can they?
Haha, nope. Canon is just trying to do the best they can to make up for their mistake of bringing it into existence. Their efforts are appreciated though. I actually really like being able to browse through images quickly with the touchbar now (slide and hold).

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com

I would expect that the lenses will work even with older firmware, but without digital correction. Someone will have to try the new lenses on an R without the firmware to see what happens.

Upvote 0