Firmware: Canon EOS RP v1.5.0 and Canon EOS R v1.7.0

So in 10/20 years when I pull out a old R5 to play with, will I need a firmware upgrade for it to work with the 100-500mm f/4-5.6 II ? It seems almost every model needs a software patch, which is a bit odd and concerning for the future. Perhaps over thinking this a wee bit.

This is actually a good thing. The company still makes an effort to support the RP and R. The DSLR line was no different as you had to download profiles into the camera for image correction.
Believe canon should also release more features to these cameras as well like animal eye AF and whatever software goodies that come out in the future.

Upvote 0
Just heard back from Canon... updating the firmware has no effect on dead pixel mapping... good to know

Correct me, if i am wrong - but I think you can map out all dead pixels by yourself. Just use the sensor cleaning feature (clean now) and the camera will detect dead pixels and ingore them.

Upvote 0
Correct me, if i am wrong - but I think you can map out all dead pixels by yourself. Just use the sensor cleaning feature (clean now) and the camera will detect dead pixels and ingore them.
I tried that method multiple times to no effect. Canon said I had to send the camera in for them to perform a "pixel compensation"

Upvote 0
Nope, but I will say this -

I have a Vello on my 70D, my 7D2, and my 5D4. When I bought the EOS-R I went ahead and bought the Canon grip.

It's worth the premium. It feels better, it's built better, and it just fits better.

YMMV.

When I pre-ordered my R5 I bought the Canon grip right along with it. I didn't balk at the price because I could actually feel the difference on my EOS-R.

I am surprised Vello doesn't have one yet.

I agree. I used a Vello, after a Neweer, grip on my 6D, which was better by leaps than the Neweer, but, the BG-E22 is LEAPS above the Vello! You also get the in grip/body battery charger with it. I think Canon gets about a $100 for that separately. Has to be LP-E6N batteries to charge in the grip. I guess now with the new update, it would also charge the LP-E6NH as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
I agree. I used a Vello, after a Neweer, grip on my 6D, which was better by leaps than the Neweer, but, the BG-E22 is LEAPS above the Vello! You also get the in grip/body battery charger with it. I think Canon gets about a $100 for that separately. Has to be LP-E6N batteries to charge in the grip. I guess now with the new update, it would also charge the LP-E6NH as well.

Isn't it strange/amazing how different it feels?

Up until the point I got my first Canon grip I looked at the Vellos and thought 'this is fine - there is no way the other one is worth that much extra money.... People who buy the Canons are wasting their money'

Then I got the Canon grip and after about a second I thought 'THIS is how a grip is supposed to feel.'

It made enough of an impact on me that I ordered a Canon grip for my 5D4 to replace the Vello.

Not to mention that it doesn't make much sense to put a non-weather sealed grip on a weather sealed camera. lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0