Firmware: Canon releases firmware v1.3.1 for the Canon EOS R5

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
As a Photographer, these firmware updates have been useless and done little to address issues with the camera for Photographers.
I really hope the next firmware update address stills centric additions such as a simulated shutter release noise for electronic shutter. I won't go into why I think this is needed here, but it think it would be a great addition. Also, I still do not think there is a way to keep the EVF on all the time while shooting. There are instances where I do not want the EVF to turn off until I turn it off, but as much as I have tried I cannot get the R5 to do this. Either give me a way to do that, or make the time it takes for the EVF to go from black to on much shorter. Yes, I can half-press the shutter button on the way up to get the EVF to come on, but I don't particularly like that solution. And, I don't like the idea of putting tape over the sensor to simulate my eye being at the EVF to keep it on. Anyway, there are stills centric improvements that can be made and I hope they come soon. Cheers everyone.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 10, 2021
Let me clarify a bit for those who are (legitimately) confused by FW 1.3.1 release notes.

This time (and nobody knows why) Canon screwed up a little bit.

First, it appears that they forgot to include the following item to the 1.3.0 release notes:

12. Fixes a phenomenon, in which part of the settings screen is incorrectly displayed in Firmware Version 1.2.1.

Second, they included all 12 items from 1.3.0 release into release notes of 1.3.1 release, added item 13 (the only new item for 1.3.1 release), and put the following note which clarifies what changes apply to each release:

13. Fixes a phenomenon, in which when shooting with Canon Log 3, if the [View Assist.] setting is set to [On], the image in the viewfinder and on the LCD screen is displayed brighter than it should be.

*Items 1 through 12 apply to Version 1.3.0, whereas Item 13 applies to Version 1.3.1.

And they have not mentioned 1.3.0 release in the history of past firmware updates like they always did in the past. They just pretend like 1.3.0 does not exist.
And by the way, all application versions mentioned in FW 1.3.1 release notes are versions released together with FW 1.3.0 update, no applications were updated with FW 1.3.1 release. We can also see that there were no application updates since March 30 on the Software page for R5.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
When shooing in C-Log 3, what's the best color space option? BT.709 or Cinema Gamut?
I prefer Cinema Gamut because it matches better with Canon cinema cameras such as the C70 and C300 in CLOG3 mode.
Is there support for C-Log 2 in this firmware update?
No, not natively but you can shoot RAW and then change it to CLOG2 if you want.
Yesss! Canon log 3 isn't overblown on the display anymore! I don't know how that was overlooked during QA. But it was a pretty quick turnaround which is all that matters.
Yes, finally fast turn arounds from Canon. I actually appreciate the video features and development focus from Canon with the new R cameras. Lets hope they keep it up with the R3 and beyond!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
other than Adobe.. what do you guys use to process CLOG3 files? I'm not having the best results (tried Shotcut)

your 2 main choices are Premiere and Davinci Resolve. I'm firmly in the Premiere Pro camp. editing the 4k CLOG3 files are a breeze on my system (AMD Ryzen 3900X with Nvidia GTX 1080). that 8k footage. man, that is a beast...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
your 2 main choices are Premiere and Davinci Resolve. I'm firmly in the Premiere Pro camp. editing the 4k CLOG3 files are a breeze on my system (AMD Ryzen 3900X with Nvidia GTX 1080). that 8k footage. man, that is a beast...
The TWO main ones?

As long as you are on Mac I use FCPX with Canon Log files and it works beautifully. The difficult 10bit Canon files work a dream on the relatively inexpensive new M1 Macs.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
other than Adobe.. what do you guys use to process CLOG3 files? I'm not having the best results (tried Shotcut)
I use Final Cut on my M1 MacBook Pro. It cuts through even the 8k Clog 3 422 files like butter. It’s uncanny how fast it is. Resolve will work well with it as well. I am sure Premiere can to of
Course

Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
I use Final Cut on my M1 MacBook Pro. It cuts through even the 8k Clog 3 422 files like butter. It’s uncanny how fast it is. Resolve will work well with it as well. I am sure Premiere can to of
Course
I would even go as far as saying if you are thinking of upgrading a PC just to work with Canon’s recent mirrorless video codecs and have a decent monitor, purchasing an M1 Mac Mini and FCPX would probably be cheaper.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2021
How about the issues numbered 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12?
#4-New Feature
#5-New Feature
#6-New feature (and let's be honest, Who uses FTP to transfer images off a camera?)
#7-New Feature (same FTP comment as above)
#8-New feature (and admittedly a good one for I suspect a lot of people)
#9-Finally fixing a problem that afflicts people who take photos.
#10-Same as above
#11-Same as above
#12-Same as above

I do appreciate new features, I truly do, but compared to the Canon 5D IV the Canon R5 has usability issues that should be fixed. I for the life of me cannot understand why they were allowed to ship the bodies with the issues.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
#4-New Feature
#5-New Feature
#6-New feature (and let's be honest, Who uses FTP to transfer images off a camera?)
#7-New Feature (same FTP comment as above)
#8-New feature (and admittedly a good one for I suspect a lot of people)
#9-Finally fixing a problem that afflicts people who take photos.
#10-Same as above
#11-Same as above
#12-Same as above

I do appreciate new features, I truly do, but compared to the Canon 5D IV the Canon R5 has usability issues that should be fixed. I for the life of me cannot understand why they were allowed to ship the bodies with the issues.
What issues?

Edit: I seem to recall replying to another of your posts about the R5 vs the 5diV and how it (the 5D was better) and suggesting you go back to the 5D. If you are still unhappy with the R5 sell it get most of your money back and buy a 5D IV

Hoping a Camera will become something it is not (for you) via firmware is futile...

Last edited:
Upvote 0