Firmware: Canon releases firmware v1.3.1 for the Canon EOS R5

I bought my camera with 1.3.1 installed on it 2 weeks ago and mine has locked up 3 times, with different cards. required removing the battery tray and turning off and on.
Damn, sorry to hear that. I have switched to using a Sandisk 128gb SD card (UHS-I) for the past 4 months and haven’t had a lockup after 6000 frames taken. With my 512gb Sandisk Cf Express I had 3 lockups in the first 4 months (about same number of frames taken over that time)

I am still on firmware 1.2.0 at this stage.

Perhaps you could tell us the exact model and speed rating of your Sandisk Cards?

Every time I had a lockup in the past it was when the camera was in the process of writing to the CF express card...

Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
I don't believe this has anything to do with cards. Lock ups are occurring because something is wrong with the camera. My case where the camera was freezing up just from the animal eye auto focus tracking isn't the first. Folks need to get warranties on these cameras. At this point I don't trust Canon (which is sad to say). I am all on board for the latest tech, but right now my R5 is a big disappointment. I'm hoping the newly replaced 'circuit board' fixes things. It's upsetting we spend $4000 dollars on a camera for MANY folks to have lock up issues and for Canon's repair policy to be one of limited communication. Replacing the 'circuit board' doesn't tell me anything other than Canon is 'hoping' that this fixes the issue. Time will tell. I bought the 4 year extended car pack so it will be tested. I think if Canon gave more care to launching the R5 many folks (including me) wouldn't be running into these issues. It's like Windows 95 all over again.

Upvote 0
Damn, sorry to hear that. I have switched to using a Sandisk 128gb SD card (UHS-I) for the past 4 months and haven’t had a lockup after 6000 frames taken. With my 512gb Sandisk Cf Express I had 3 lockups in the first 4 months (about same number of frames taken over that time)

I am still on firmware 1.2.0 at this stage.

Perhaps you could tell us the exact model and speed rating of your Sandisk Cards?

Every time I had a lockup in the past it was when the camera was in the process of writing to the CF express card...
64gb CFexpress. But it also happened on an old SD card, so as many are stating, it isn't card specific.

Upvote 0
I don't believe this has anything to do with cards. Lock ups are occurring because something is wrong with the camera. My case where the camera was freezing up just from the animal eye auto focus tracking isn't the first. Folks need to get warranties on these cameras. At this point I don't trust Canon (which is sad to say). I am all on board for the latest tech, but right now my R5 is a big disappointment. I'm hoping the newly replaced 'circuit board' fixes things. It's upsetting we spend $4000 dollars on a camera for MANY folks to have lock up issues and for Canon's repair policy to be one of limited communication. Replacing the 'circuit board' doesn't tell me anything other than Canon is 'hoping' that this fixes the issue. Time will tell. I bought the 4 year extended car pack so it will be tested. I think if Canon gave more care to launching the R5 many folks (including me) wouldn't be running into these issues. It's like Windows 95 all over again.
Unfortunately these lockups are happening for different reasons for different people. This might be why Canon is just changing the circuit board and hoping it fixes the problem. Someone on this forum only had lockups with a specific lens and card combination and having the circuit board replaced made no difference for them. For me the lockups only ever happened when I tried to use my Sandisk 512gb CF express card.

In my case I changed to an SD card and have had 0 lockups over a 4 month period with over 6000 photos taken. So in my personal experience and with my specific camera it does indeed seem to be card related. But I will be sure to report back to the forum if this changes.

In your case it sounds a bit more extreme and a warranty repair sounds like the right thing to do…

Upvote 0