Firmware: Canon releases new firmware for the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6 to fix freezing bug

rbwillnj

CR Pro
Nov 2, 2016
Just an FYI V1.5.2 is now available on the Canon USA site.

Firmware Version 1.5.2 incorporates the following enhancement:
1. Optimizes AutoFocus accuracy when Extender RF1.4x or Extender RF2x is attached to the RF800mm F5.6 L IS USM and RF1200mm F8 L IS USM lenses.
2. Enhances the stability of Eye Detection.
3. Enhances AutoFocus tracking when shooting moving subjects.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I have the R6 and had never had any problem. Then I updated when I received the notice from Canon that it was available. Last Thursday was the first I used the R6 since installing the new software and had four times that the screen went black and basically locked. Turning it off and back on did noting so I would turn it off, remove the lens about a quarter of an inch, replace the lens, turn the camera back on and it would work. I did miss some images at the track meet as I stood there (looking dumber than normal) trying to get the camera to turn back on. The first time was the worse - both in the time it took to figure out what to do and that I was standing at the finish line with many people watching.

Upvote 0
Both of mine consistently freeze if:

They're connected to my phone via Bluetooth,

location data is enabled through Camera Connect,

and I take a picture about 5 seconds after waking the camera up from sleep (AFAICT, at the moment that location data finally starts making it from the phone to the camera).

Sounds like this update doesn't address that one.
I have an R6 with Firmware 1.5.2 and had my first experience with it freezing 2 days ago. And the experience sucked

Upvote 0
I have the R6 and had never had any problem. Then I updated when I received the notice from Canon that it was available. Last Thursday was the first I used the R6 since installing the new software and had four times that the screen went black and basically locked. Turning it off and back on did noting so I would turn it off, remove the lens about a quarter of an inch, replace the lens, turn the camera back on and it would work. I did miss some images at the track meet as I stood there (looking dumber than normal) trying to get the camera to turn back on. The first time was the worse - both in the time it took to figure out what to do and that I was standing at the finish line with many people watching.
I had my R6 freeze for the first time 2 days ago. In my case the image in the viewfinder just sat there and the shutter didn't work. After a few seconds the camera turned itself off and immediately back on and it was okay for a short time and then started happening again. I have Firmware 1.5.2 and have been told that 1.5.1 was supposed to have fixed this

Upvote 0