First look: Canon RF 50mm f/1.2L USM Image Quality

Jun 9, 2017
With the mirror box gone, is there still clipping of bokeh balls at the edges of the frame?

I guess so, yes. There is always an aperture (which is not the sensor) and when you go through a circular aperture with an inclination it should not be circular anymore. But it‘s hard to imagine right now...
I am not sure if the mirrorbox was clipping... I guess it was more so the lens itself.

Upvote 0
Jun 9, 2017
If the back focus distances allows an EF version: Yes please, prefer that.
Why? Simple: Being able to use the rear drop in filter adapter for either C-PL or Vari-ND.

That is the biggest problem I see in using native R glass.
The gave us the brillant rear filter adapter but it isn't in the full R glass.

Well... you can use older glass that is inhibited in its own way with a nice rear filter adapter, or you can use newer R glass that is often sharper and even faster with comparable or less weight... so there is a trade off you have to make. Longer lenses don‘t profit so much, perhaps this is why we see these new long tele EF lenses, especially there the filters come in very handy.

Upvote 0
After seeing images on dpreview and now the review of TDP I am lusting for this lens and maybe I would buy it for my M50 because it would be a very flexible FL ( 80mm effectively on APS-C ) for me. The only pity: The lens cannot be adapted on the M50 now and an adaptor - if possible - would be very very complicated / expensive if you have only 2mm flange distance.

About some remarks about OTUS - RF 1.2 50 comparison: Not easy if you compare different lenses while having different cameras. The Canon lens seems at least in the same IQ department while having 0.5 f-stops brighter max aperture & AF. Just the AF with DPAF sensors will come in handy @ f/1.2 ... f/2 to nail focus and to use the potential of that lens!

Upvote 0

MartinF.

EOS 6D, 5D mkIV and some good EF lenses. DPP4 user
Feb 2, 2016
Denmark
Nah. Not even close. 10 years? 15? Not even close.
I sure hope you are right, that Canon will maintain the EF line for years to come. The already released EF lenses this fall may show that - but even more interesting will be to follow the 2019 - 2020 releases of new EF lenses and EF mount EOS cameraes. Canon has the power to maintain both RF and EF for years, and at least until the RF line is more "complete" - but when that time comes witin the next 8-10 years - will EF and DSLR then be continued? - I hope so.
After my first disappointment on Canon not bringing native EF mount to the future of mirrorless, I (think) i have deiced that my next buy will be the 24-70 f/2.8 mkII when i can afford it. And in 3 - 5 years from now, another EOS DSLR replacement from my current and beloved 6D. That will keep me going with EF lenses and cameras till I am in my middle or late 60's. That will do... - I think... ;-)

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I think the EF 50/1.2 would do a bit better if it was corrected for focus shift, it could be slightly out of focus as it is being stepped down.
Or does he manually re-focus for every shot?

I know that RF lenses always open up to their widest aperture when focusing for stills in AF-S mode.
I guess EF lenses in liveview don't change the aperture to focus so no focus shift?

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Indeed. I think the new EF 400 and 600 L III lenses are a pretty solid statement (at $12 and $13K each, respectively) that EF isn't going to be obsolete any time soon.
Yes, because Canon sells millions of such lenses. These big whites address a need of a tiny fraction of Canon's top tier customers, namely working sports and wildlife professionals and fit, wealthy retirees. The new versions probably incorporate necessary technology to work optimally with the RF adapter.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
Yes, because Canon sells millions of such lenses. These big whites address a need of a tiny fraction of Canon's top tier customers, namely working sports and wildlife professionals and fit, wealthy retirees. The new versions probably incorporate necessary technology to work optimally with the RF adapter.

exactly. And those 2 were the last big whites for an update. We will not see many new/updated EF lenses for quite a while. Now it's "RF time" at Canon. :)

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
exactly. And those 2 were the last big whites for an update. We will not see many new/updated EF lenses for quite a while. Now it's "RF time" at Canon. :)

Just to jump in for a moment, I had thought that the other two big whites due for the refresh were the 300 f/2.8 and the 500 f/4. As per the rumors posted here, the 400 and the 600 would come out slightly earlier than the other two. But I believe you are right that there won't be ANY additional EF lenses coming. The existing ones are pretty great. If phototogs want the latest and greatest, they'll have to adopt the new system. Still, the existing lenses should continue to transmit light just as well as they did before the RF release :)

Upvote 0
I think the EF 50/1.2 would do a bit better if it was corrected for focus shift, it could be slightly out of focus as it is being stepped down.
Or does he manually re-focus for every shot?

I know that RF lenses always open up to their widest aperture when focusing for stills in AF-S mode.
I guess EF lenses in liveview don't change the aperture to focus so no focus shift?

Wait I don't quite understand - are you saying that EF lenses shift focus when at different apertures? That would be the first I have ever heard of that but I am always open to learn something new about lens design...

Upvote 0
I went straight to comparing it to the Otus 55mm. The Otus stills beat it as far as sharpness on those test charts goes, but not by much. So, at half the price, the Canon is a steal!

Hmm. The weight and price are seriously not acceptable here. The "modern 50mm" game has gotten completely out of hand.

Meanwhile, at half the weight and half the price of this new Canon, the Voightlander (Cosina) 40/1.2 Nokton is looking very reasonable.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0