Flagship EOS R camera coming in February ahead of CP+? [CR1]

kaptainkatsu

1DX Mark II
Sep 29, 2015
I highly doubt that the next R is going to be a 1DX2 successor. Customer perception is huge. If Canon releases a "Pro R" with 20-24mp with higher read out (well duh since there is less MP) the forum fanboys will say its a downgrade. My bet is a higher MP version.

1DX-R would probably be released in 2020 or later along side the 1DX3

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
I highly doubt that the next R is going to be a 1DX2 successor. Customer perception is huge. If Canon releases a "Pro R" with 20-24mp with higher read out (well duh since there is less MP) the forum fanboys will say its a downgrade. My bet is a higher MP version.

1DX-R would probably be released in 2020 or later along side the 1DX3

Well, Sony did just fine with their A9 positioning having a lower pixel density than the A7RII/III, so I think Canon could do the same.

But, if they're going to do an A9 class body they really do need to make sure it's A9 class performance.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
CFexpress seems to be the only sensible choice, CFast is dead and XQD won't scale up to CFexpress speeds. Even better, CFexpress is backwards compatible, Nikon has said making their XQD cams work with CFexpress should be just a matter of a firmware update.

Assuming Canon goes for CFe and dual slots, what will the second slot use, SD, CFe or somethinge else?

I hope CFe. That should be the standard for all R cameras and any new EF camera except for Rebel and M class cameras. Quantity production would bring the price way down.

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Nikon has said making their XQD cams work with CFexpress should be just a matter of a firmware update.

But does that mean simply that the CFexpress cards will fit and work in XQD slots at XQD speeds? I'm not sure how a firmware update will update the entire system to have a significantly faster data throughput. Guess it depends on what hardware they have put in place in preparation for that.

Upvote 0
I don't know what bottle you drink from but your assessment of Apple & Canon is pure fantasy. Where does the synergy come from? Canon as well as making photographic equipment make office & domestic printers, photographic printers, machines for making CMOS sensors and security products, principally through various acquisitions in both hardware & software. They also industrially now sell CMOS sensors.

Apple design cell phones, computers, tablets, electronic watches, Apple TV and develop software. They provide services such as Apple Pay, App. Store & Apple Music so how is Canon going to benefit Apple or visa-versa.

According to Forbes Canon has a market cap. of $ 46.5bn and whilst Apple is supposedly the first $ 1 trillion company and has a large cash mountain you've really got to have a compelling argument to pay a premium on Canon market cap. It would mean Canon owns patents that have attached well developed, ground-breaking technology that Apple will desperately need. If that was the case Canon market cap would be much higher.

===

Canon has the SECOND LARGEST PATENT PORTFOLIO IN THE WORLD AFTER IBM !!!

Canon has patents on 8K+ display technologies, OLED, Quantum Dot Displays, inkjet and 3D printing patents, super-critical lens and liquid lens technologies, 7nm and less CMOS production technologies and so much more that Apple is DESPERATE TO GET !!! Apple ONLY WANTS the patent portfolio and maybe the printing division. The rest of Canon they would probably sell off probably to Sony or Philips in my opinion. Apple is also the only western company that would be able to get approval from the Japanese government for a sale of Canon to a foreign company.

My financial friends in New York, London and Seattle all say that Apple is on the Hunt for a corporate big fish to swallow. The inside bet is actually on Texas Instruments for their ARM chip manufacturing and DSP chip experience BUT Canon is also looking like a meaty and tasty deal for Apple to bite into!
I suspect it will be TI because they can get it for only $25 Billion US while Canon would be a $60 Billion fish to swallow which is a bit bigger and richer decision than Apple's board is likely to make. $25 Billion for TI would be a far better value for Apple. That's on the hardware side. In terms of Media and Software, I've heard Apple is looking at buying Netflix and some European companies like Canal+ and it's parent for content.

The other rumour mill has Sony going for Sigma to get lens making capacity for their ENTIRE video camera, still camera and cell phone sensor resale lines.

--

I absolutely CAN TELL YOU an extreme-breakthrough product IS COMING VERY SOON NOW that is going shake up the Stills and Video industry because the upcoming product line addresses four major product segments using ONE system. The unspecified manufacturer is one everyone knows but will SURPRISE you all for it's forward thinking, VERY ergonomic and Ruggedized IP-68 Weatherproofed nature........

REMEMBER ! YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST !!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
I can't believe only one person in this entire thread gets this. Since Fujifilm will be releasing a GFX 100S with IBIS, 100mp, and full-frame 4K/10-bit/30fps, then certainly Canon and Nikon can produce a camera with high FPS at the 50-60mp range on a full frame sensor.

If Nikon can move 45 MP at 9 FPS in D850 with their grip, then Canon should be able to move 30MP at 1.5*9 FPS or 13/14 FPS.

Sony does 10 FPS at 42MP in the A7R III and the A9 does 20 FPS at 24MP.

Upvote 0
Are they really ditching the model numbering system completely?

You could name one version Rs for a 'studio'/high-res body—no numbers required. Like-wise with an Rx (or 'f' for fast!) for a high-speed sports version, and Rt for a range-finder style travel camera. Then add i, ii, iii, iv… for updates. Smaller formats could have their own letter, say Q! or just use a lower case 'r'…...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Noone is talking about sensor quality.

Also, can anyone explain why DSLRs/MILC don't have 16 bit color as opposed to medium format. May be Canon should introduce 16 bit color in their pro bodies

Yeah I second this! With about 50 M pixels. Then who would need medium format!

Some have asked why so many MPs? For me anyway, it would be so I could get what I need in a single exposure instead of having to stitch two together vertically. Two 24 mm TS-E images from a 5Div as opposed to One from a 5Ds and a 17mm TS-E. (I don't have an s or sr yet and want to hold out till I see what's coming in mirrorless) Or TS-E lenses with a tripod foot! And a 4:5 format sensor! But that would cause widespread panic.

Sorry to disappear into a rabbit hole….

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I don't belong here, I'm such an amateur. :cry: I can only afford laminate.

When I was planning this house, a friend who is a painter (and has a great eye for color) and who recently had some major remodeling done in their house, volunteered to go with me to the designer to pick out colors, flooring, grout, you name it. She had a huge slab of some kind of stone in her new kitchen. She discouraged me from getting stone, so I got laminate. I couldn't much afford high-end stuff anyway, and there was a chance that I might decide to rent the place out until I could move here for real. And then when I could, I'd repair the damages done by tenants and upgrade things in the process.

The reason I brought this up in the first place is that when folks here bring up the same little laundry list of camera features, I'm reminded of the HGTV house hunting shows I used to watch when I was decorating things here and watched some of their shows for ideas. Usually it was the wife who just had to have stainless steel appliances and granite counter tops for seemingly no reason other than everybody else had them. Personally, I don't like the combination. I don't think they go together well. But they look OK in certain types of kitchens.

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2018
You could name one version Rs for a 'studio'/high-res body—no numbers required. Like-wise with an Rx (or 'f' for fast!) for a high-speed sports version, and Rt for a range-finder style travel camera. Then add i, ii, iii, iv… for updates. Smaller formats could have their own letter, say Q! or just use a lower case 'r'…...

so funny! Customers trying to solve supplier's product naming scheme issues ... quite possibly it is the same at Canon and more employees
are working on this "huge and pressing problem", rather than on bringing the very products to market and making them fully functional and competitive.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
When I was planning this house, a friend who is a painter (and has a great eye for color) and who recently had some major remodeling done in their house, volunteered to go with me to the designer to pick out colors, flooring, grout, you name it. She had a huge slab of some kind of stone in her new kitchen. She discouraged me from getting stone, so I got laminate. I couldn't much afford high-end stuff anyway, and there was a chance that I might decide to rent the place out until I could move here for real. And then when I could, I'd repair the damages done by tenants and upgrade things in the process.

The reason I brought this up in the first place is that when folks here bring up the same little laundry list of camera features, I'm reminded of the HGTV house hunting shows I used to watch when I was decorating things here and watched some of their shows for ideas. Usually it was the wife who just had to have stainless steel appliances and granite counter tops for seemingly no reason other than everybody else had them. Personally, I don't like the combination. I don't think they go together well. But they look OK in certain types of kitchens.
In fairness to those wives and couples on House Hunters, the producers made them say that about the stainless and granite.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
But does that mean simply that the CFexpress cards will fit and work in XQD slots at XQD speeds? I'm not sure how a firmware update will update the entire system to have a significantly faster data throughput. Guess it depends on what hardware they have put in place in preparation for that.

Both XQD and CFexpress are using plain old PCIe as their interface, XQD maxes out at 2 lanes at PCIe 2.0 speeds, CFexpress maxes out at 8 lines at PCIe 3.0 speeds. The initial batch of CFexpress cards will use the XQD form factor and pinout, so the compatibility presumably consists of 2 parts:
  1. CFexpress cards supporting a fallback to PCIe 2.0
  2. XQD cameras whitelisting the CFexpress PCI IDs/classes
I'm actually a bit surprised that a software change is actually needed on the camera side, a brief read of the CFexpress spec boils down to "For the B formfactor we're using XQD, but will allow PCIe 3.0 speeds".

Upvote 0
Jul 31, 2018
Stubborn use of "CF"-derivative memory cards including exotic and expensive XQD instead of simply equipping "current standard implementation SD-type cards [moving to SD Express when it is ready for prime time] is just another of the many attempts by oligopolist imaging gear makers' to keep things as proprietary, profitable and customer-unfriendly as possible. There is no convincing technical reason to use [larger] CF-form factor cards in [stills-centric] cameras, rather than SD format or even better MicroSD format - as in most other mobile devices.

Upvote 0