Flagship EOS R camera coming in February ahead of CP+? [CR1]

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
If Nikon can move 45 MP at 9 FPS in D850 with their grip, then Canon should be able to move 30MP at 1.5*9 FPS or 13/14 FPS.

Sony does 10 FPS at 42MP in the A7R III and the A9 does 20 FPS at 24MP.

But are those all at full resolution and bit depth? The sony manual has a lot of qualifiers for 20FPS: Use electronic shutter, the right lens(!!!), compressed raw. If you want full resulution and bitdepth for your raw files, it's suddenly 12FPS. And if you want to use the mechanical shutter it's only 5FPS.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
When I was planning this house, a friend who is a painter (and has a great eye for color) and who recently had some major remodeling done in their house, volunteered to go with me to the designer to pick out colors, flooring, grout, you name it. She had a huge slab of some kind of stone in her new kitchen. She discouraged me from getting stone, so I got laminate. I couldn't much afford high-end stuff anyway, and there was a chance that I might decide to rent the place out until I could move here for real. And then when I could, I'd repair the damages done by tenants and upgrade things in the process.

The reason I brought this up in the first place is that when folks here bring up the same little laundry list of camera features, I'm reminded of the HGTV house hunting shows I used to watch when I was decorating things here and watched some of their shows for ideas. Usually it was the wife who just had to have stainless steel appliances and granite counter tops for seemingly no reason other than everybody else had them. Personally, I don't like the combination. I don't think they go together well. But they look OK in certain types of kitchens.
We put in granite and stainless steel into our kitchen exactly 20 years ago because I value quality and durability. Last week we returned after having rented out our house for 6 years to 3 sets of tenants. The granite and stainless steel are as pristine as 20 years ago. Laminate would have been needed to have been replaced maybe twice over that period and the cost would have been greater. And I love natural stone rather than plastic. If you can afford the best and most durable, get them. And if you can afford the best and most durable lenses and cameras, then enjoy them.

Upvote 0
We put in granite and stainless steel into our kitchen exactly 20 years ago because I value quality and durability. Last week we returned after having rented out our house for 6 years to 3 sets of tenants. The granite and stainless steel are as pristine as 20 years ago. Laminate would have been needed to have been replaced maybe twice over that period and the cost would have been greater. And I love natural stone rather than plastic. If you can afford the best and most durable, get them. And if you can afford the best and most durable lenses and cameras, then enjoy them.

I love the feel of wood, but having tried solid oak worktops I wouldn't recommend it. Durable but too much maintenance, too easy to mark etc. But stone and metal are too harsh and I'd be worried about breaking things more easily... perhaps resin is the way forward? (If we're gonna go off topic, let's go waaaay off).

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
In fairness to those wives and couples on House Hunters, the producers made them say that about the stainless and granite.
I should have realized that, given how repetitious it was. Later, it became more obvious how they had staged the conflicts between spouses, when the women came off consistently as real b----es and the men were ossified in their positions. I quit watching the network all together at that point. They no longer had relevant programs, and it was just more reality show crap like so much of cable has degenerated to.

That does make it all the more remarkable, since there are no producers forcing people to say things on this board, that I know of, at least.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I love the feel of wood, but having tried solid oak worktops I wouldn't recommend it. Durable but too much maintenance, too easy to mark etc. But stone and metal are too harsh and I'd be worried about breaking things more easily... perhaps resin is the way forward? (If we're gonna go off topic, let's go waaaay off).

If I ever replace my counter tops, I'll seriously consider quartz. But the laminate looks as good as it did when the house was built 14 years ago. Admittedly it doesn't get a lot of wear and tear. A lot of the time the lower level of the island is used to store photo equipment. The two new white lenses and some others are in the middle of the coffee table, safely between stacks of books. I really should get some shelving for them now that the collection has outgrown the shelf where I first put photo stuff.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
What about rubber? Some of us forum members are about due for the rubber room :)

Upvote 0
so funny! Customers trying to solve supplier's product naming scheme issues ... quite possibly it is the same at Canon and more employees
are working on this "huge and pressing problem", rather than on bringing the very products to market and making them fully functional and competitive.
OK so our fooling around with camera names is frivolous and a time waste—how does spending time commenting on a frivolous time waste compare? Just saying.

Upvote 0
I also have no need or want for anything over 30 MP. I would prefer even less - 24 MP seems more than enough. Anything above 30 MP would be a real negative for me and I won't go there until I have to.
Then the EOS R is the camera for you. Just wait until the next generate when they add the second card slot and you are good. For some of us the lack of additional MP is the reason we have not pulled the trigger on the EOS R. I don't care about the two card slots, but do care about DR, MP, FPS. It allows me to use the 5DSR for both landscape and wildlife. If they improve on that sensor with additional DR, FPS and potential crop mode I would be the first one in line as a buyer. Dual card slots and the rest are nice but not a requirement. I can carry extra cards and batteries in my pocket.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I would likely go "R", if they came out with the equivalent of the 5DV in R.....dual cards, hopefully full 4K...fps, etc.

If they kept it in the $3K or maybe slightly under range with a good R kit lens, I'm on board....I guess I'd splurge and get all 3 adapters, as that I'd like to play with ND filters on it, etc.....

Hoping this will be something like what comes next.

That's my $0.02,

cayenne

Upvote 0
If Nikon can move 45 MP at 9 FPS in D850 with their grip, then Canon should be able to move 30MP at 1.5*9 FPS or 13/14 FPS.

Sony does 10 FPS at 42MP in the A7R III and the A9 does 20 FPS at 24MP.

Exactly. Canon and everyone else shouldn't need to keep their high res and high FPS cameras split up any longer. And sooner or later someone like Sony will deliver on what the Canon 1D-C hinted at, which is one day being able to pull our full-res, 30+ MP RAW stills out of short 24-30fps video bursts.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
I should have realized that, given how repetitious it was. Later, it became more obvious how they had staged the conflicts between spouses, when the women came off consistently as real b----es and the men were ossified in their positions. I quit watching the network all together at that point. They no longer had relevant programs, and it was just more reality show crap like so much of cable has degenerated to.

That does make it all the more remarkable, since there are no producers forcing people to say things on this board, that I know of, at least.
Or maybe there are "producers" forcing them to say things.... :eek:

Upvote 0
As a current Sony/Nikon user; if Canon releases a high MP EOS R I'll ditch Nikon and pick it up. I'm really impressed with the ergos and build on the EOS R, but the current model just doesn't fill any needs for me. A high MP version, with two slots would help me ditch Nikon, and use it for my landscapes.

Cmon Canon... doooooo iittttttt.

Upvote 0
Exactly. Canon and everyone else shouldn't need to keep their high res and high FPS cameras split up any longer. And sooner or later someone like Sony will deliver on what the Canon 1D-C hinted at, which is one day being able to pull our full-res, 30+ MP RAW stills out of short 24-30fps video bursts.

The split between high res cameras and the rest isn't just about FPS. Lower megapixel count also allows for better low-light performance, ala the A7s.

Upvote 0