Flashing R5 back to 1.1.1 - advice and help please.

Aug 27, 2019
so is it possible to downgrade the R5 to previous firmware version?
I have R5 with RF 100-500mm and EF 500mm USM IS V1, last firmware was installed when i got the camera.
i have focussing issue with both lens ( the EF 500mm works fine adapted to my A7R3) , but 50% if the time , R5 won't focus on "obvious" subject, still or not, exposure is correct, but impossible to focus.
i reinstall the last firmware, nothing change, i would like to know if it's possible to install previous to check?
If i do a factory reset of the R5 which firmare will be automatly installed after reset?
Thanks for helping.
No it is not possible to revert to the previous firmware with consumer based tools.

Keep in mind the EF 500mm V1 is not fully supported on the R5 for highspeed shooting and this may also be impacting the speed and accuracy of focus. Have a look at page 897 and 898 of the advanced user guide to see the list of supported EF glass.

As for the RF 100-500 there are a number of threads with users having issues, might want to have a look at those and join in the discussion by providing some examples with EXIF data intact.

Cheers

Upvote 0
No it is not possible to revert to the previous firmware with consumer based tools.

Keep in mind the EF 500mm V1 is not fully supported on the R5 for highspeed shooting and this may also be impacting the speed and accuracy of focus. Have a look at page 897 and 898 of the advanced user guide to see the list of supported EF glass.

As for the RF 100-500 there are a number of threads with users having issues, might want to have a look at those and join in the discussion by providing some examples with EXIF data intact.

Cheers
thanks ;) , would be really surprising that Canon EF 500mm f4 IS V1 is supported (pretty well with AF) on Sony A7R3 with MC11 , but not on R5? for the moment i don't use hightspeed shooting, i try to fix my AF issue first.

Upvote 0

RGB49

5DSR
CR Pro
Mar 31, 2019
Need a little help.

Downloaded previous firmware for Canon R5 - 1.1.1. Put it in the root of CFE anad the camera doesn't see it.

Why am I flashing back to 1.1.1 do you ask?

Since I upgraded to 1.1.2 my camera just randomly abandons auto-focus. I'll lift the camera to shoot and the camera won't focus AT ALL and the MF for Manual Focus appears in the top left of my viewfinder.

It's completely random. When it does it if I go into the menu to turn auto-focus back on the only thing available in the menu is manual focus.

If I turn the camera off and wait a couple of seconds then turn it on it comes back to normal 99 percent of the time. The other times I have to turn it on and off twice.

Hitting the AF ON button on the back does nothing.
Re-seating all the components of my lens (adapter, extender, lens) does nothing.
Variations of auto-focus settings does nothing.

It just picks a time and dumps auto-focus and the only way back is through a 'reboot...'

This has only occurred with my EF 100-400L II which I have never had a problem with before the update.

I was going to flash back to 1.1.1 to see if that solved the problem but then I tried and the camera doesn't see it on the memory card.

Help and ridicule appreciated.
Not sure if the answer is the connection between the grip and the body, I experienced the same fault with a 600mm F4 iii on the R5, and the 24-70 RF whenever I switched to portrait mode. Ensure that the grip is fully tightened against the body, This cured it for me.

Upvote 0