Flowers and other Flora

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
What is the plant in the first two photos?
Most commonly known as "Milkweed" but there are a lot of different "milkweeds". If you want more info search the internet with "Calotropis gigantea".
Toxic but it's the main food plant for the local Monarch butterflies! Monarchs are concentrating the alkaloids from the plant in their bodies as a defense against predators but it doesn't help against the Red-vented Bulbuls (if they succeed to catch the butterfly, usually they are on the looser side - as the AF of my camera :))!
The last photo is Java apple (locally known as a "Mountain apple"). It produces edible fruits. Not much of flavor but juicy and welcome during a hike in hot weather.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2012
Canada
ISv and EricN,

Beautiful shots, guys.
a025.gif

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Most commonly known as "Milkweed" but there are a lot of different "milkweeds". If you want more info search the internet with "Calotropis gigantea".
Toxic but it's the main food plant for the local Monarch butterflies! Monarchs are concentrating the alkaloids from the plant in their bodies as a defense against predators but it doesn't help against the Red-vented Bulbuls (if they succeed to catch the butterfly, usually they are on the looser side - as the AF of my camera :))!
The last photo is Java apple (locally known as a "Mountain apple"). It produces edible fruits. Not much of flavor but juicy and welcome during a hike in hot weather.
I'm going to have to see if I can't find one at a greenhouse...

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
ISv and EricN,

Beautiful shots, guys.
a025.gif
I think I owe it to those using focus stacking. The traditional images were less impressive

Edit: I'm often forgetting to say, "thank you," or when I ask a question, neglecting that I need to mention my admiration of the photo." It's quite rude, but I hope people will understand it's not intentional. I'm not sure the reason, maybe something like adhd, too much coffee, causing me to focus my attention on one thing... I don't know... I'm becoming neurotic...

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
@EricN
Nice result! :D
R5 + EF 100 I presume. You can add the number of frames You use for a stack to the name, if You change it in the settings of Helicon focus.
Allways an interesting information. ;)

R5 + Laowa 15mm macro @ f/32, sharpened with Topaz PhotoAI
View attachment 215494
My nice result was the best of several attempts. I'm noticing it often makes the background area just outside of closer object's edges quite blurry

Your photo is very nice! I'm going to have to try some f/32 shots tomorrow

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Saturday: someone told me that the Hawaiian Poppy is flowering in one of the local Botanical Gardens. I like that plant - it's beautiful and I have seen it on Oahu in the wild only once. Happy to get the reddish soil as a background at some angles...
First two photos are kind of Euphorbia, not Hawaiian...

DSC_2922_DxO.jpgDSC_2927_DxO.jpgDSC_3066_DxO.jpgDSC_3075_DxO.jpgDSC_3097_DxO.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0