Flowers and other Flora

29435856511_cc26feb9c8_z.jpg

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
Click said:
Nicely done, npdien. :)

For sure. Would you mind commenting on how you approached that flower - analyzed the various factors, like angle, light, framing, background, is it relocatable etc. Thanks.

Jack
Hi Jack. These flowers are abundant here now. However, they are bulky and, as such, it is quite hard for me to take nice pictures of them. I have taken a considerable number photos of these flowers and have scrapped most of them because they fail to look elegant in the pictures. I took this picture because, in addition to the flowers, there are interesting leaves around them. Leaves often help embellish flowers. I used Canon 6D with Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro Lens. The ambient light at around 8.00 am allows me to set f8, 1/80s and ISO400. The flowers are put on the top right corner in order to include the interesting leaves on to the left of and under the flowers. The angle is adjusted to include the darker background in the frame. The tree is planted in the ground and, therefore, is not relocatable. It is on the road in my neighborhood where I go jogging every morning and I noticed it when jogging. I attach the picture of the environment including the tree, which was taken this morning, a day later. You can see the yellow flowers and the leaves near them look bright, standing out well against the darker background.
Cheers, Dien

Attachments

• _MG_2688a.jpg
    _MG_2688a.jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 103
Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Dien, that was a very helpful response and much appreciated. The average human has a pretty adequate brain but it is not always used adequately to really analyze the challenge at hand. That's my goal - to shoot with a purpose rather than the first impulse which tends to be, that's a beautiful flow, reproduce it and everyone will like it - snapshot.

Do you use different focal lengths much?

Jack

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
Dien, that was a very helpful response and much appreciated. The average human has a pretty adequate brain but it is not always used adequately to really analyze the challenge at hand. That's my goal - to shoot with a purpose rather than the first impulse which tends to be, that's a beautiful flow, reproduce it and everyone will like it - snapshot.

Do you use different focal lengths much?

Jack
Hi Jack. As for flowers, I use only Canon EF 100L. I sometimes use Canon EF 85mm f1.8 for such portraits as follows:

28939858554_5e450e8223_z.jpg

28940034604_1d30bfa035_z.jpg

28939963534_59c1d53be4_z.jpg

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
npdien said:
Jack Douglas said:
Very nice Dien. Thanks for the lowdown on what you're doing. Looks like I should have visited Vietnam when I was looking for a wife! ;)

Jack
One wife brings enough issues to deal with. Are you looking for more problems?

No, not a second one! That was long ago. ;)

Jack

Upvote 0