View attachment 194616

From August, I just liked the colors in this:
View attachment 194617

Another:
View attachment 194618

Here's one from my backyard Mimosa:
View attachment 194615
Beatufull photos!
May be you should post the third one in the "Butterflies, Moths and Assorted Insects ..." ;)
The last one - I love and hate this tree (Saman - Samanea saman): Love it for the nice shade and ability to substitute (to some extend...) an umbrella in the rain and hate it for spreading nasty, sticky seeds. After steping on them and walking further you sound as a horse walking on the asphalt...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Beatufull photos!
May be you should post the third one in the "Butterflies, Moths and Assorted Insects ..." ;)
The last one - I love and hate this tree (Saman - Samanea saman): Love it for the nice shade and ability to substitute (to some extend...) an umbrella in the rain and hate it for spreading nasty, sticky seeds. After steping on them and walking further you sound as a horse walking on the asphalt...
Thanks for the kind words. Yes, the third one seems to be riddled with some sort of insect that I have no idea about. I always loved the soft shade of the mimosa. It isn't native to Kentucky and doesn't do well with cold winters. Our 2 mimosas died after the first winter but I was told to cut off the dead tree (above ground) and the roots would be fine and then grow a new stronger set of above ground branches which would be more resistant to cold, which it did.

Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Your bugs are something from the Aphids. Don't ask me for something more detailed - I know them just marginally.
We have here on the Islands only one widespread Mimosa: Mimosa pudica and it's usually very low to the ground (rarely growing to a feet high, and even more rarely above that). So, don't expect a shade from Mimosa if you visit Hawaii:)! I never cultivated Mimosa at home (huh, here it's very different from Kentucky and there is no reason to grow Mimosa at home - just go outside in +/-dry field and you will find plenty of Mimosa pudica...)

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Your bugs are something from the Aphids. Don't ask me for something more detailed - I know them just marginally.
We have here on the Islands only one widespread Mimosa: Mimosa pudica and it's usually very low to the ground (rarely growing to a feet high, and even more rarely above that). So, don't expect a shade from Mimosa if you visit Hawaii:)! I never cultivated Mimosa at home (huh, here it's very different from Kentucky and there is no reason to grow Mimosa at home - just go outside in +/-dry field and you will find plenty of Mimosa pudica...)
Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad the aphids & plant were a half mile away from me as I wouldn't want my own plants infested like that (although it's just part of the great cycle of life). I also didn't know there was a variety of Mimosa growing under a foot high - wow. My Mimosa trees grow really fast (after the first year) and are now around 30 feet tall, but don't have a central trunk like most large trees, rather up to a dozen smaller branches growing up from the base at the ground.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
As I transitioned from EM1_II photos to R5 photography, I have a bit of both I'd like to show you (if you don't mind). Here's 4 shots from the (M43) EM1_II and 300mm f4 lens. Sometimes I try various f#s, sometimes I bracket them and see what I like best in post. These happen to have very tight apertures, but with the help of DXO PhotoLab they can turn out pretty good for the small sensor.

300mm, f22, 1/250", ISO 1600:
P9012072_1_4.5k90%.jpg

300mm, f22, 1/250", ISO 1600
P9012075_1_4.5k90%.jpg

If a flower could hold it's arms up to sing, it might look something like this:
300mm, f22, 1/180", ISO 6400
P9012102_1_4.5k90%.jpg

300mm, f13, 1/250", ISO 1000
P9012159_1_4.5k90%.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Beautiful picture, ISv!
What closeup lens do you use?
:D - same lens that I use now for birding: AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR! Hardly in the classic category of the "closeup" lenses but I think it's doing well. Week ago I was using zoom (200-500mm) : my daughter occupied my macro lens and actually I wasn't eager to carry it on my hikes around.

Upvote 0
Would you care to comment on how you created this awesome photo?

Thanks! I shot it in RAW with a 7DMII + EF100mm f/2.8L macro lens (ISO 1250; -.33ev). I post-processed in DxO PhotoLab 4 to taste. I then did some contrast adjustments and applied a texture preset in ON1 Photo RAW 2020.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0