Best lens for landscapes for a trip to the mountains?

Oct 18, 2011
Mt Spokane Photography said:
One issue is that the 60D does not have AFMA, and if a rental lens does not AF accurately with the body due to tolerance buildup, you will be stuck.
That's not really an issue with the 10-22, and if it becomes an issue (seems to miss focus a lot), then you just manual focus. But at f/3.5 at 10mm, its really a non-issue.

And yeah, if the place doesn't have filters you'll be fine without one. It's really more for cutting reflections off the water, but you can do fine without it.

Upvote 0
A 17-55 f2.8 would give you more resolution and better color and contrast over your 18-55... But it really wouldn't give you "different" photos.

I'd recommend the Canon 10-22. I rented it earlier this year for a trip with my 7D. The build quality is excellent (manual focusing for landscape shots on a tripod is a smooth and precise affair) as is the optical quality (only flaw is a bit of CA, easily taken care of in post). I was in an urban environment and I found a ton of interesting uses for that lens... Came back with photos that had a totally different perspective from what I usually get with my 17-55.

It would be a great companion on you trip!

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
blonigan16 said:
I am planning on going around Switzerland for a week to travel through the alps and photograph scenery and landscapes. I also want to rent a lens that would be best for landscape photography. I have a 60D with an 18-55mm, a 28mm 2.8, a 50mm 1.8 and a 70-200 f/4 L. Here are the lenses I am considering to rent:

Canon 10-22mm (I had a Tamron 10-24 when I used to shoot Nikon and absolutely loved the wide angle)

Canon 17-40mm L (I don't know if this is wide enough but I'm considering buying this lens in a few months to replace my 18-55)

Canon 16-35mm L (Not sure if its worth spending extra to get this one, especially if I'm shooting landscape where I'll be using narrow apertures)

Canon 24-105 L (Would this be a decent idea as a general purpose zoom or do you think I should just try to go for something more wide angle?)

Thanks for your help!

10-22mm + 50mm 1.8. Thats light, compact and EZ to lug all day.

Upvote 0
BL said:
I was in Switzerland in August and you are in for a real treat!

I only needed one lens: 16-35 II (mounted on 5Dc)

Here's what I was able to photograph with it :)

These are beautiful shots, BL. My wife, our 13-month-old daughter and I were there in May three years ago. We actually stayed at the hotel right near the Staubbach Falls. The weather was not as nice thought. It was mostly heavily overcast and it rained from time to time. This is one place we plan to go back when the kids are older.

When we were there, I used 16-35 (Mk 1) and 70-200 2.8 IS (Mk 1) on a 20D.

Upvote 0