Fuji Medium Format is coming

A bit off topic but... I picked up a used Fuji X-E1 a month ago to use as a walk around compact camera. Unfortunately for some reason Fuji's X lens lineup use focus by wire technology for Manual focusing, which is very frustrating to use. I ended up getting a Voightlander Leica M mount lens for the X-E1 and I'm very happy going full manual with it. But MF is definitely not for everyone.
The camera/lens combo is smaller then my 24-70f2.8ii lens. and goes with me everywhere.

Upvote 0
Bennymiata said:
As Fuji currently make MF lenses for Hasselblad, they would have a ready-made range of lenses (with some cosmetic changes naturally) and Fuji like to be different to other brands, and see themselves as makers of upscale and technically advanced cameras, so a MF mirrorless would be a good fit for them.

I think the new Hasselblad will be huge seller for them and from the initial press reaction, I'm sure all the camera companies are following it closely.

When you look and listen (YouTube) to the X1D introduction, the Hasselblad CEO (Perry Oosting) is telling you that Fuji has nothing to do with this camera. The camera is made in Sweden en the glass is coming from Nittho.
But if it's really true that Fuji is coming up with something in the MF range i be more than interested....

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
I anyone needs MFD, the Pentax product is pretty good and they'd be using it.
The Fuji is more likely for someone who will want fashionable bragging rights on top of an IQ bump.

I'll be watching it for the IQ bump vs size and cost and a possible JOI (Joy on Investment) return.

But, as many have pointed out here and elsewhere, APSC is more than adequate for most real work.
A decent 30 inch print can even be made from a MFT system.

Upvote 0
I wonder how well the enthusiast market would take a Fuji MF ML camera. Would they understand that a "slower" lens aperture is actually not so slow when total light gathering and DOF of the larger sensor are taken into account?

Seems like there are many photographers out there who think a f2.8 lens on a micro 4/3 sensor is fast and "pro", yet and f4 lens on a FF sensor is slow and amateurish. ;D

Even many experienced photographers fall for the same logic trap.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
PhotographyFirst said:
I wonder how well the enthusiast market would take a Fuji MF ML camera. Would they understand that a "slower" lens aperture is actually not so slow when total light gathering and DOF of the larger sensor are taken into account?

Seems like there are many photographers out there who think a f2.8 lens on a micro 4/3 sensor is fast and "pro", yet and f4 lens on a FF sensor is slow and amateurish. ;D

My guess is much smaller market due to price and native lens selection.

I'm keeping my eyes on this MF mirrorless market(hasseblad x1d) and rumor Fuji. Some f2 primes at starting point would be nice :)

Upvote 0
Dylan777 said:
PhotographyFirst said:

I'm keeping my eyes on this MF mirrorless market(hasseblad x1d) and rumor Fuji. Some f2 primes at starting point would be nice :)

To be honest. I have never owned or even used a MF camera (Polaroid counts as MF though doesn't it? ;)). If I had money burning my pocket, I would get one for $2K just to play with a MF camera.

On the other hand though, I've been going backwards in time and technology with my gear. 5D to 6D to 60D to a Rebel T1i I now use. LoL

Yeah, basically a modern-day Luddite. ;)

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
PhotographyFirst said:
Dylan777 said:
PhotographyFirst said:

To be honest. I have never owned or even used a MF camera (Polaroid counts as MF though doesn't it? ;)). If I had money burning my pocket, I would get one for $2K just to play with a MF camera.

On the other hand though, I've been going backwards in time and technology with my gear. 5D to 6D to 60D to a Rebel T1i I now use. LoL

Yeah, basically a modern-day Luddite. ;)

As long as you enjoying your photos, there is nothing with that ;)

I never own MF either. Would love to get the feel of it in near future.

Upvote 0