Fujifilm Unveils the New X-T2, the Ultimate Mirrorless Camera with New Autofocus System and 4K Video

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
481
147
55
Re: Fujifilm Unveils the New X-T2, the Ultimate Mirrorless Camera with New Autofocus System and 4K V

luminaeus said:
I've been a long time lurker here. Checking the rumors and reading the forum drama while drinking my morning coffee has been a routine for a few years now. I also took advantage of the grey market deals that were posted here to get a 5D Mark III and a few L lenses to go with it. I have thoroughly enjoyed using Canon's best body and lenses and have a library of over 40k photos in Lightroom to prove it. But, my time with Canon is coming to an end because Fuji just made the camera I've always wanted.

I have always said that if I ever were to go mirrorless, I would go with Fuji. Great sensor, beautiful lenses, and those film simulations are gorgeous. The only thing that was holding me back was autofocus performance and that looks to be solved with the X-T2. I'm not a video guy but I might get into it because that oversampled 4K with in-camera grading looks amazing as well.

So, I'm selling off my 5D Mark III and all my big L lenses and replacing it with an X-T2, 16mm f/1.4, 23mm f/1.4, and 56mm f/1.2, plus a pile of batteries and that battery grip. I'll let you guys know how I like it when it's finally shipped late August or early September.

Excellent post! Please, please come back and post some photos after you've had your gear a few weeks and have it all dialed in. I've been considering a switch to 4/3/mirrorless myself, either Olympus or Fuji are the likely candidates. (I had great luck with Olympus 35mm film cameras "back in the day.")
 

Aglet

EOS 5D Mark IV
Feb 26, 2012
1,729
16
AB
Re: Fujifilm Unveils the New X-T2, the Ultimate Mirrorless Camera with New Autofocus System and 4K V

I recently did a little 3 days away for some RnR and only took 3 Oly bodies and a bag of lenses.
I carried the 3 Oly's (EM1 w grip + 2x EM10 w grips) on the beach in 2 small bags w-o looking like a geek and had plenty of coverage from 24mm to 600mm FF equivalent using 2 light zoom lenses and one adapted old 4/3 pro zoom (12-60mm) on the EM1 which also provided decent close-up ability.

I chose the Oly kit over my Fuji kit because it's a bit smaller and lighter and would still provide enough IQ for anything I was likely to want to do with it. Also had lots of zoom overlap. Only topped off charge in the single EM1 battery once so I could mess around with some night shooting away from base.

They're both very good ML systems and, even tho I prefer the look of OOC jpgs from the Fujis, I find the Oly's are more to my liking for ergonomics.

Either way, it was easier than carrying around a bushel of DSLR gear and WYSIWYG EVF made nailing sunset colors in camera a mere matter of a clicking an EV dial.

EDIT: all images below are 20% scaled from OOC jpgs, nothing tweaked, in-camera sharpening is set to low. The 100% crop is also not tweaked. Minor quality hit as I compressed them pretty hard to keep the size down. Base 200 ISO on all these shots.
 

Attachments

privatebydesign

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Jan 29, 2011
10,677
6,113
Re: Fujifilm Unveils the New X-T2, the Ultimate Mirrorless Camera with New Autofocus System and 4K V

If I wanted reasonable IQ and a ff equivalent 24-600 in a compact package for casual beach use I wouldn't take "three bodies and a bag of lenses" I'd take a G3X with the EVF for occasional use. https://luminous-landscape.com/canon-g3x-review/
 

Aglet

EOS 5D Mark IV
Feb 26, 2012
1,729
16
AB
Re: Fujifilm Unveils the New X-T2, the Ultimate Mirrorless Camera with New Autofocus System and 4K V

Since I still have this Olympus gear out I decided to weigh each body + lens combo.

shooting weights: include battery, SD card, grip & lens cap.
No annoying straps.

EM10v2 + 40-150mm f/4-5.6 R = 682g
EM1 + 12-60mm f/2.8-4 SWD + MMF-2 adapter = 1344g
EM10 + 75-300mm f/4.8-6.7 II = 918g

I didn't use the super-light 14-42mm f3.5-5.6 II R zoom (113g). Altho it's quite decent I wanted the adapted 12-60mm for its IQ and wider range.

Anyone want to post a comparison with Fuji or SLR equivalents?
 

privatebydesign

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Jan 29, 2011
10,677
6,113
Re: Fujifilm Unveils the New X-T2, the Ultimate Mirrorless Camera with New Autofocus System and 4K V

Your kit 3057g.

Canon G3X 734g, EVF-DC1 42.5g, total 776.5g.

Your kit, two bags.

Canon kit, no bags needed.


My travel kit:-

1DS MkIII + 35 f2 IS 1700g. Just over half the weight of yours!
 

Aglet

EOS 5D Mark IV
Feb 26, 2012
1,729
16
AB
Re: Fujifilm Unveils the New X-T2, the Ultimate Mirrorless Camera with New Autofocus System and 4K V

privatebydesign said:
If I wanted reasonable IQ and a ff equivalent 24-600 in a compact package for casual beach use I wouldn't take "three bodies and a bag of lenses" I'd take a G3X with the EVF for occasional use. https://luminous-landscape.com/canon-g3x-review/

Viable point. The G3x is very decent and if I had one I may have taken and used it for some things.

However, this was comparing the Oly ML to the Fuji ML and DSLR options.
And, altho I took a bag of lenses, I didn't carry them around. Or even use them. That would have been the geekish part. ;) And changing lenses on a breezy beach is begging for grit where you don't want it.

Considerable low light shooting was done as well (private photos) where ISO 3200 and up was used and the EM1 was also nice to have when shooting in light rain.
Bases covered; capability maximized, weight minimized.
 

Hector1970

EOS R
CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
1,450
942
Re: Fujifilm Unveils the New X-T2, the Ultimate Mirrorless Camera with New Autofocus System and 4K V

/What I was wondering about the X-T2 is what is the difference between it and an X-PRO2 besides styling?
Why would you pick one over the other.
I always thought the X-T1 looked better than the X-PRO1 and it had more modern technology.
Now the X-T2 and X-PRO2 are coming out close together.
They seem to have very similar technology.
 
Oct 23, 2014
8
0
Re: Fujifilm Unveils the New X-T2, the Ultimate Mirrorless Camera with New Autofocus System and 4K V

Hector1970 said:
/What I was wondering about the X-T2 is what is the difference between it and an X-PRO2 besides styling?
Why would you pick one over the other.
I always thought the X-T1 looked better than the X-PRO1 and it had more modern technology.
Now the X-T2 and X-PRO2 are coming out close together.
They seem to have very similar technology.

According to Fuji lovers (I am more a Fuji friend with benefits): the X-T2 is for the brain and the X-PRO2 is for the heart
 
Oct 23, 2014
8
0
Re: Fujifilm Unveils the New X-T2, the Ultimate Mirrorless Camera with New Autofocus System and 4K V

luminaeus said:
I've been a long time lurker here. Checking the rumors and reading the forum drama while drinking my morning coffee has been a routine for a few years now. I also took advantage of the grey market deals that were posted here to get a 5D Mark III and a few L lenses to go with it. I have thoroughly enjoyed using Canon's best body and lenses and have a library of over 40k photos in Lightroom to prove it. But, my time with Canon is coming to an end because Fuji just made the camera I've always wanted.

I have always said that if I ever were to go mirrorless, I would go with Fuji. Great sensor, beautiful lenses, and those film simulations are gorgeous. The only thing that was holding me back was autofocus performance and that looks to be solved with the X-T2. I'm not a video guy but I might get into it because that oversampled 4K with in-camera grading looks amazing as well.

So, I'm selling off my 5D Mark III and all my big L lenses and replacing it with an X-T2, 16mm f/1.4, 23mm f/1.4, and 56mm f/1.2, plus a pile of batteries and that battery grip. I'll let you guys know how I like it when it's finally shipped late August or early September.

I changed completely last year to a X-T1 and don't miss that much the Canon - except for operational speed in switching on -> focus -> shoot. And of course battery life. The X-T2 at least has an accurate battery level indicator, the X-T1's is ridiculous (dies abruptly).