Full-resolution sample images from the EOS R5, EOS R6, and the new lenses

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Oh it won’t necessarily be for switching. It’ll be for that one lens. Animal Eye AF is tempting but I have lived with the one AF point of the 5dII and it still had the animal in focus. IBIS is good but that lens has 5 stops.

But on to the main thing with the 100-500. It is really tempting but it will have to prove itself on quality and personally it isn’t whispering to me like a big prime or that big prime mini is. There is still about six months before I buy. So I’ll see if a 500mm f/4 RF gets any traction now that the stable of standard lenses is filled up. Or maybe even a new 300 f2.8, I love my current 300 2.8 but it weights as much as the 600 and is held together with hope and luck after all these decades.
I do like Canon zooms. The 100-400mm II has given me so many great shots, from dragonflies to bird portraits to BIF, that I would cheerfully use the R5 and 100-500mm for many purposes and the 500PF/Nikon for a prime. On our last three major birding trips (Florida, Galapagos/Ecuador and Israel), we took just the two 100-400mm IIs for the versatility and light weight and never regretted it. I know it sounds a bit wimpish, but the 400mm DO II was just above the weight I can comfortably carry on a single shoulder strap and I had to carry from straps across two shoulders. For opportunistic bird photographers who like walking with a camera over a shoulder, these light zooms and primes are godsends. The high resolution sensor cameras are part of the revolution - my 100-400mm II + 1.4xTC had better IQ than my 400mm II + 2xTC on the 5DIV, and the 500PF on the 45 Mpx D850 is a clear winner. So, the 45 Mpx on the R5 looks just right for me. With restricted travel and so few birds down here, there is no point in me buying now. But, I am really waiting for the real reviews from the knowledgeable enthusiasts on forums. If we ever get the chance to travel again, I'd take one Canon zoom and the D850/500PF.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

I do like Canon zooms. The 100-400mm II has given me so many great shots, from dragonflies to bird portraits to BIF, that I would cheerfully use the R5 and 100-500mm for many purposes and the 500PF/Nikon for a prime. On our last three major birding trips (Florida, Galapagos/Ecuador and Israel), we took just the two 100-400mm IIs for the versatility and light weight and never regretted it. I know it sounds a bit wimpish, but the 400mm DO II was just above the weight I can comfortably carry on a single shoulder strap and I had to carry from straps across two shoulders. For opportunistic bird photographers who like walking with a camera over a shoulder, these light zooms and primes are godsends. The high resolution sensor cameras are part of the revolution - my 100-400mm II + 1.4xTC had better IQ than my 400mm II + 2xTC on the 5DIV, and the 500PF on the 45 Mpx D850 is a clear winner. So, the 45 Mpx on the R5 looks just right for me. With restricted travel and so few birds down here, there is no point in me buying now. But, I am really waiting for the real reviews from the knowledgeable enthusiasts on forums. If we ever get the chance to travel again, I'd take one Canon zoom and the D850/500PF.

I 'need' a light setup for my daily walk which is 3-8 KM and partially though the woods. Then I need a bigger setup for the days I know there is a good chance of foxes or there is some other animal I am after just now. I think I am also thinking both, not in the same year but on most times I have 2-3 cameras with me.

Upvote 0