FYI: D750 light leak issues

According to posters on YouTube and Fred Miranda this phenomenon is caused by internal reflections in the mirror box. It can be blocked by a well-placed piece of gaffer tape. Also, people have noticed that there are differences in how the focus sensor is installed. Seems that those cameras where the sensor is set deeper do not have these reflections which again points at a problem with quality control, not necessarily design.

We'll see if NIkon sets this straight before the 5D IV hits the market with all its bugs and birthmarks.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
martti said:
Seems that those cameras where the sensor is set deeper do not have these reflections which again points at a problem with quality control, not necessarily design.
Weird that Nikon would allow so many of their recent cameras to have such a similar set of problems over a multi-year period that seem to be QC issues. We basically only have the D610 and D810 for that reason, and the D760 seems next. That's a trend that makes it hard to pre-order a Nikon camera.

Sanaraken said:
Looks like I'll be able to get a D750 for cheap.
Which, leads to an interesting aside. On one hand, it has to hurt Nikon's bottom-line to refund/repair so many warrantied cameras, and it also has to hurt them to issue a D610/D810 and see that market die to used sales of the D600/D800 (that they repair for free). But, in an odd way, it makes their entry level really cheap (D600 is <$1000 used), which could lead to them gaining customers.

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
preppyak said:
Weird that Nikon would allow so many of their recent cameras to have such a similar set of problems

This has been going on with Nikon since I was a Nikon user, back in my D70 and (especially) D200 days - the only QC-related problems I've ever had with any cameras have been with Nikons.

I bailed from Nikon after my (many, many) D200 issues, started in Canon with a 30D, and haven't had QC problem since...

Upvote 0

eml58

1Dx
Aug 26, 2012
Singapore
Ryan85 said:
What exactly is a light leak?

I suppose something less of an issue than the one that affected the titanic :(

Seems though that all manufacturers are plagued to varying degrees with minor, to at times serious issues, seems evenly distributed as well, affects almost all new Cameras that hit the Market these days, Nikon, Canon, Sony et all, you pay your money & you take your chances.

In my own case I've had both my 1Dx bodies back for AF motor change out, both 5DMK III Bodies back for Light leaks, my Sony a7r back for Lens Flange replacement that caused light leaks, my D800 replaced twice for AF left/right issues.

But my D3x, 5Dmk II (x2) & 1DMK IV, all zero issues.

Averages seem reasonable in an imperfect world, as long as the after sales service makes the issue go away in a erasable timeframe, I'm Ok, in all of the above issues the only real complaint I have was the atrocious service from Nikon in the D800 issue, both Canon & Sony handled the issues as professionals.

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
Fortunately! I'd rather send back a bad copy now and again than to have 1/3rd more of the price.

Increased number of returns/repairs due to lack of QC is also going to inflate the price. At the end of the day every company wants to make a profit. The only difference is that good QC increases customer satisfaction and saves you time and hassle, while bad/lack of QC creates companies with Microsofts reputation.

Upvote 0
eml58 said:
Ryan85 said:
What exactly is a light leak?

I suppose something less of an issue than the one that affected the titanic :(

Seems though that all manufacturers are plagued to varying degrees with minor, to at times serious issues, seems evenly distributed as well, affects almost all new Cameras that hit the Market these days, Nikon, Canon, Sony et all, you pay your money & you take your chances.

In my own case I've had both my 1Dx bodies back for AF motor change out, both 5DMK III Bodies back for Light leaks, my Sony a7r back for Lens Flange replacement that caused light leaks, my D800 replaced twice for AF left/right issues.

But my D3x, 5Dmk II (x2) & 1DMK IV, all zero issues.

Averages seem reasonable in an imperfect world, as long as the after sales service makes the issue go away in a erasable timeframe, I'm Ok, in all of the above issues the only real complaint I have was the atrocious service from Nikon in the D800 issue, both Canon & Sony handled the issues as professionals.

From Lens Rentals site you can read about the experiences with Nikon USA customer service that are not encouraging at all. Roger Cicala's blog is very informative. He knows a lot and he has a delicious way of sharing it:
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
PVS said:
Unfortunately, it seems these days that for every new camera released on the market you have to give it at least 6 months before it moves from beta version to a complete product, with us customers being the beta testers.
This is true... The only positive in this is IF price comes a little down in the meantime...

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
This is the first time I've seen the videos on the D750, so funny.

People may be right about an even distribution of manufacturing defects across the industry but it sure seems like some people are having more trouble than others.
I have to wonder if there's industrial espionage or just a complete lack of competency in corporations these days.

Upvote 0