Gear for upcoming trip to Italy and Greece

I'm going on a cruise this summer that starts and ends in Venice and stops at a couple ports in Greece. We will also be taking a train to Rome for a couple days before coming home. I'm trying to pack light but also get great images. Here is my current lens/camera gear:
Canon 6D
16-35mm F4 IS, 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 135mm F2, 70-200mm F4 IS

The 16-35mm will definitely be coming and possibly the 70-200 (haven't decided yet). I'm wondering what low-light lenses to bring. I'm also considering switching out the 35mm 1.4 for the newer 35mm F2 IS. I love having lenses with IS. Anyone made that switch? Should I consider bringing the 85 or 135 or will that be too much gear? Thanks for your feedback in advance! If anyone can recommend a good bag to carry everything that would be helpful as well.

I have been to Italy six months ago with a Canon EOS 6D plus Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS, Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 II, Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 and Canon EF 50mm f/1.4. Approximately 85% of my pictures were made with the 24-105mm and the remaining 15% were made with the Sigma 12-24mm. I missed my 70-200mm, which was left at home, but it would be used in very few shots.

The fixed focal lenght lenses were not used. As this trip was not a photo aimed trip, I needed the flexibility and speed of the zoom lenses.

In your kit, I think that the 16-35mm will be one of the most used lenses, but I would add a mid-range zoom (24-105 or 24-70mm). I would not bring the 85mm and 135mm and I would bring the 70-200mm.

I am a big fan of backpacks with side access (to grab the camera quickly) and space for personal items. I currently own the Tamrac Evolution 8 and 9 backpacks and I think the 8 is perfect for this trip. You can put the 6D with one lens mounted on it, plus the 70-200 (and you could even bring the 85 and 135mm if you wanted to). There is a pocket where you could place a sweater or a snack and a laptop pocket.

Upvote 0
I'd suggest the 16-35 f/4 IS, 35 f/1.4 and 70-200 f/4 IS. The 35 f/1.4 can be used as a indoor lens for people shots and as a walk-around at night. The 85 and 135 are more standard portrait lengths, but for vacations, I'd prefer something wider to show where you are. A 35 works well for that. The 16-35 f/4 IS is better for museums and static shots, but I tend to use faster shutter speeds and larger apertures more because I take more pictures of people rather than things.

I have both the 35L and the 35 f/2 IS, and I use the 35L a lot more. I got a refurbed 35 f/2 IS when it was on sale as a travel lens, but I find myself opting for the additional stop rather IS more often. And if you are bringing the 16-35 f/4 IS, then the situations that you'd opt for a f/2 IS are even fewer. I'd stick with slower zooms with IS and complementing them with the fastest primes.

Upvote 0
I would bring the wide zoom and the 35F1.4. I have the 35F2 IS and it is a great lens for very low light. I wouldn't bother with the longer lenses.
There are some indoor spots where light is very low, and a fast lens is useful. THe 35 will work where you need to boost shutter speed to catch shots of people when it is dim.
If possible, I'd bring a second zoom, even if you need to rent it. I'd want the 24-105L. It would do most of what you need, and there are very few places where it won't be wide enough. I would want a backup lens in case of an accident or unexpected lens failure. I killed a lens near the end of a trip to Rome, and all I had was a 50 for my crop camera. That is not wide enough for most of what I wanted to photograph. A fiend had his AF die on his Nikon zoom during a trip to Ireland.
I won't travel without a backup lens. While a 35 is a nice lens on full-frame, it isn't wide enough for the architecture in Rome. Your 16-35 should do well, but I would want a second zoom in Italy and Greece, even if I preferred the shorter lens.

Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
There has to be a compromise between bulk/weight and gear. On a trip my "travel triumvirate" has always been the 17-40, 24-105 and 70-200 (I have a 5diii). The wide is good for architecture, etc. So your 16-35 will be valuable. My 24-105 will be replaced by my new 24-70 f/2.8ii for future trips but 80-90% of my shots have been on the 24-105 travel lens. There is an occasional need for some reach so the 70-200 is a nice addition so bring that. I carry this in a Retrospective bag. If I think a set of legs would be in order, I'll bring a Gorillapod. If this were a birding trip, etc., then my glass collection would be greatly expanded.

Have a great trip. Enjoy the people, the food, the sights and take some great photos.

Upvote 0
I have spent a lot of time in both Greece and Italy, but never off a cruise ship, so it might be that my experience is a bit off what you´ll meet. I also carry more equipment than most think is fun, so I´m probably not the carry-light-advisor you´re looking for ... But for what it´s worth:

From the lenses you list, I would bring 16-35 f4L IS, 35 1.4 and the 135/2.0. If you´re willing to carry more, you can add the 70-200 and/or the 85. But my experience is that I always use the 70-200 (mine is the 70-200 f2.8L IS II) less than I thought I would. But I use the 135/2.0 a lot (used to be the 135/2.0L, but I now use the Zeiss 135/2.0). I always carry the 24-70 f2.8L II, so that would have given you a fair focal range coverage, but in your case I would be worried about the big gap from 35 to 135, so that points towards bringing either the 85 or 70-200 also.

In any daylight shooting you´ll have more light than you need (want) and can use any of your lenses (I´d bring circular polarising and ND filters!). But my favourite time of day to shoot, especially when you´re out on the Greek islands, is just before and after sunrise and sunset, when the special Mediterranean light is at its best. So to shoot anything with people in it, you´ll be glad to have the fast primes. And, even though you have not asked for it, I´d recommend a tripod, even if it was just a Gorilla variant.

Bags are difficult. I have lots of them, because I always struggle to find the right one for That special trip. But for your use, I have recently used the Lowepro Classified Sling 220 AW, which I am growing more and more fond of. It is comfortable on the shoulder, big enough for a 1DX or 5DIII, 16-35, 35/1.4, 135/2.0 and the 70-200/2.8L. It is also big enough for filters, a flash, charger and a 15" MacBook Pro. The big advantage with the sling bags is that they are out of the way when you don´t need them and gives you very handy access to all your gear when you want it, by just pulling it around from the back. This bag is probably my best value for money alternative ($54.95 at B&H).

Enjoy your trip and share some pictures when you return!

Upvote 0
Bring the lenses that fit your shooting style and the shots you are going for. Since we don´t know what you will want to shoot, it´s hard to help you.

If street photography only, bring 35 /1.4 and 85 /1.8 since they are small. They also rock for portraits if you want to go all in on that.
But seriously just go for the 16-35 + 70-200. There is honestly not that much of a gap between 35 and 70. I usually go for 17-40 + 70-200 on trips. The DoF from 200/4 on the 6D is rather nice anyway.

Don´t get more lenses, get another body instead for quicker access to the right focal length, if you feel like you have to buy new stuff. A crop body can be interesting, that would give you a standard lens, a super wide lens, a telephoto lens and a little longer telephotolens depending on body/lens combo. Get a rebel. It will be a backup camera aswell, and perhaps your company wants to borrow it if you bring two cameras.

Or, more preferably, spend money on your company so he/she/they can have a nice breakfast as you are elsewhere photographing the sunrise. That should give you better photos.

Good luck

Upvote 0
Our family goes to Italy once a year and I seem to bring more and more gear on each trip. We have a vacation home there so I have place to leave the gear that I won't use much when we go out.

On my first trip, I only used a 24-105 and found it adequate for most shots. I would have loved an UW lens though.

Nowadays, I will bring all the below gear in a backpack on the plane and then bring a small Billingham bag for smaller excursions.

Full load-out
24-105
16-35 2.8 II
70-200 2.8 II
17 TS
85 1.2 II

At our home, I find the 24-105 is the most useful. You've said you don't like the images, but I've been happy with mine. Then again, I'm taking a lot of photos of my kids so I'm more trying to capture memories.

When I go out, I find I can still make do with the 24-105 85% of the time and often use the 17 TS when I know I will go out without my family to take architectural photos.

If this is your first visit to Italy and Greece, you will likely take a lot of photos. In this case, I'd still suggest the 24-105. If you are dead against it, then I really think you need something for the 50mm to 100mm range. I don't have the other lenses you mentioned, but I know that 85 1.2 and the 17 TS are really heavy lenses so I have to really think about every lens I add to my bag.

If you have been there many times and you are like me, you will find yourself taking fewer and fewer photos because
1) You've already taken the photo before
2) You will realize that you can't take the photo as well as a postcard because there are too many people around and you don't have a tripod, etc.
3) You will want to enjoy the trip more and get out from behind the lens

I just did a cruise in the Caribbean 4 months ago and the one thing I found really annoying was having my camera bag checked off the ship, at the port, and then again at the port and coming back on the ship. I started to carry as little as possible. I don't know what size room you have on your cruise, but if you don't have a suite, then your space is going to very limited.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
Checking camera bag on/off the ship is no big deal, they just X-ray it. Getting on shore depends on the port. some does nothing, some x-ray the whole bag. So far I have never been asked to open the bag under any condition. One poster mentioned taking pictures before and after sun set on the Greek Islands. You have a slim to none chance. Usually ships docks after the sun rise and sails before 6 pm.

Upvote 0
Rocky said:
Checking camera bag on/off the ship is no big deal, they just X-ray it. Getting on shore depends on the port. some does nothing, some x-ray the whole bag. So far I have never been asked to open the bag under any condition. One poster mentioned taking pictures before and after sun set on the Greek Islands. You have a slim to none chance. Usually ships docks after the sun rise and sails before 6 pm.

It's mostly no big deal, but it can be. Especially if you're with kids and people behind you are impatient. At the very least, it adds a bit of stress because you are going through security checks. Then again, I'm fairly bothered by that sort of stuff, but others may not be.

Upvote 0
Eldar said:
I have spent a lot of time in both Greece and Italy, ...

Me too ... like the first 26 years of my life :)

Eldar said:
In any daylight shooting you´ll have more light than you need (want) and can use any of your lenses (I´d bring circular polarising and ND filters!).

I second that. You didn't tell us where your cruise will take you, so I'll assume the cliche Cyclades with the white houses that reflect the fierce Greek sun like crazy. The sunrise and sunset are great, but there is only about an hour of shooting time around each, so if you want to shoot during the day, you better bring filters (or resort to the three letter technique that shall not be named).

Eldar said:
I´d recommend a tripod, even if it was just a Gorilla variant.

+1 on this too. I would even go as far as recommending a pano head. I took the following picture in Santorini by stitching a whole bunch of shots taken with a pano head and it's crisp at 36x20'' print size (and causes a nice wow every time someone comes to my house).

One more note. Some people traveling abroad worry about theft. In Greece and Italy there will be some thieves (just like in any other country) but there will also be truckloads of tourists with their cameras around their neck. This gives you at the very least safety through numbers (you know, like the zebras), but also attracts the thieves. You will be fine if you (a) don't stand out (use your equipment, don't show it off) and (b) don't leave expensive stuff unattended.

Attachments

• panorama_fyra_s.jpg
    panorama_fyra_s.jpg
    654.7 KB · Views: 263
Upvote 0
I would echo some many of the sentiments so far, 16-35 and 70-200 got a lot of use for me. Took the 50/1.8 as well but didn't use it that much.

Security can be a concern, especially in places like Rome. I was wearing an f-stop backpack, which is nice because the top load zippers are close to your head and the camera access is in the back panel. I would avoid a backpack that can be opened from the back while you're wearing it.

Enjoy the trip, it's an awesome part of the world!

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
Enjoy your time in Italy and Greece… I’ve been to both countries (first time to Italy was about 20 years ago)… and enjoyed my time around the Mediterranean (similar climate to where I live, here in Adelaide, South Australia).

There is a lot to see in both countries (I’m not a fan of cruise holidays as I prefer the flexibility of a ‘self-planned’ and ‘driving’ holiday, but horses for courses). Definitely take your 16-35mm f/4 L IS, and I’d say the 70-200mm f/2.8 L II. For low light, I agree IS is very handy; especially on holidays, when taking / carrying a tripod can be tedious / inconvenient (and/or at times, not allowed).

I found that a lot of my travel photography (also my trip last month to NZ) I used UWA for dramatic impressions (landscape – especially mountains & lakes, some architecture, etc). And then used my all-purpose zoom for the rest.

I have the Sigma 8-16mm, which is the FF (35mm) equivalent of about 13-26mm focal length. If I had this all those years ago when I visited Naples, Pompeii, as well as a lot of other places north and south Italy, as well as Athens, and other beautiful spots on the Greek coastline, would’ve loved that…. But alas, I had more humble lenses back then, but was often at the wide end (eg 18mm).

Unless you’re REALLY into street photograph, no need to get / take the 85mm or 135mm… as your 70-200mm zoom will cover that fine.

The earlier suggestions about bags is important too…. I really like the Lowepro bags (side pocket accessible in a backpack format, or the shoulder / trekker series).

Hope you go well with your planning, and that you particularly enjoy your holiday – especially experiences of the cultural and cuisine as well as the nature there!

Paul

Upvote 0
It sounds like the 16-35 and the 35 1.4 will definitely be coming with me. Now I just need to decide on the telephoto. Most have suggested bringing the 700-200 F4 but an alternative could be just the 135mm F2. Another thing I'm worried about with the 70-200 is that it's white and could attract a lot of attention for thieves... The midrange is lacking but the 24-70 2.8 ii is a bit expensive. I wish Canon would update the 50mm line with a new lens. I had the 50mm 1.8 and 1.4 but both felt very plasticky and made weird sounds that I didn't like. The images weren't quite up to what I wanted either. The 50mm 1.2 would be nice but it's heavy and super expensive as well.

Upvote 0
Italy: 2005

Since I had to haul everything on my back I took my 1D MK II, 16-35 f/2.8, and 28-300 Sigma. I used the Sigma once on the Cinque Terre coast and never regretted having only the UW zoom. I did haul along a laptop as well. Wish they'd had the MacBook Air then. If I were to do it again, I would take the 5D MK III, 16-35 f/4, and 24-105. If I could afford it, I'd have the new 11-24 with me instead of the 16-35. Wide is your friend in Europe. Since you're on a ship, you could throw in the telephoto zoom for shots from the water.

Upvote 0

Hjalmarg1

Photo Hobbyist
Oct 8, 2013
Doha, Qatar
The Bad Duck said:
Bring the lenses that fit your shooting style and the shots you are going for. Since we don´t know what you will want to shoot, it´s hard to help you.

If street photography only, bring 35 /1.4 and 85 /1.8 since they are small. They also rock for portraits if you want to go all in on that.

I'd take the 16-35mm F4 IS, 35mm 1.4 and 85mm 1.8 to travel light. You'll be also less conspicuos with smaller lenses than carrying a white lens.
I also have the 35/2 IS and love it but, you have already IS in your 16-35mm so, I'd stick to the 35L for low light and street photo.

Upvote 0
In the old towns you don't need so long lenses, but sometimes there are beautiful views for telephoto lenses outside.

Last few times when I was in Greece, I was using mostly wide angle lens (EOS-M 11-22) and telephoto lens(Sigma 100-300 F4)
Here is an example - https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=bg&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nonchoiliev.com%2Fblog%2F1434

Upvote 0