Gonna buy 1DX, but should I get a 5d mrk II in the meantime?

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

evargas

Like subject says I am gonna per-order the 1DX no matter what...

I currently work as a teacher at a private school (K-12) and I teach yearbook/photography and I am in charge of marketing and publications (and of course photography) for the school. The school has finally given me the go ahead to take over all of the fall portraits/ all other photography events (high school banquet, homecoming, etc.).

My class is currently working with 60D's and (I am using those also), but I feel like I need something a little bit more.

I currently am using the following lenses for different projects.

70-200mm f/2.8L IS II
100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS
100mm f/2.8L Macro IS

and we have 50mm primes

For most of my work the 70-200 hits the right spot, but I also would like to get the following lenses soon.

16-35mm f/2.8L II
24-70mm f/2.8L (I really want the II version but we all know how that's moving)
85mm f/1.2L II

So what should I do... Buy the 5d mrk II or buy a lens or 2 and wait for my 1dx (I am really impatient either way)

pwp

Oct 25, 2010
evargas said:

My class is currently working with 60D's and (I am using those also), but I feel like I need something a little bit more.

So what should I do... Buy the 5d mk II or buy a lens or 2 and wait for my 1dx (I am really impatient either way)

It sounds like you've got a good strong budget. Provided you've got a pre-order in place, it really isn't that long until the 1DX ships. The 60D you're working with right now is definitely no slouch, and there will be dividends for your students if you are ultra familiar with the same camera that they are using....the 60D.

I'd wait, and drop the spare cash on the two short zooms in the meantime.

Paul Wright

Upvote 0
K

katwil

pwp said:
evargas said:

So what should I do... Buy the 5d mk II or buy a lens or 2 and wait for my 1dx (I am really impatient either way)

It sounds like you've got a good strong budget. Provided you've got a pre-order in place, it really isn't that long until the 1DX ships. The 60D you're working with right now is definitely no slouch, and there will be dividends for your students if you are ultra familiar with the same camera that they are using....the 60D.

I'd wait, and drop the spare cash on the two short zooms in the meantime.

Paul Wright
+1

To be able to teach the people how to maximize the full potential of any DSLR, one really needs to know the intricacies of the device. That’s probably much easier with two bodies than with three.

Upvote 0
E

evargas

Canon-F1 said:
but I feel like I need something a little bit more.

for yearbook photography? .... well that would suprise me. :D

Well that's just part of my job. It also helps because I do marketing and publication work for the school which includes a lot of publicity materials (posters/fliers/etc.).

Photography is my life and I am willing to make tons of sacrifices for the sake of better equipment. :D

Upvote 0
E

evargas

aaronh said:
Man what school do you work at!?!? Are they hiring? I'm a teacher too and my salary, shall we say, certainly doesn't lend itself to 1DX, 16-35 II, etc. etc. :p

haha

i don't make a substantial amount of money, but the good thing is the that I haven't acquired any debt which allows me to spend my money on the things that matter most to me

Upvote 0
G

Gothmoth

evargas said:
Well that's just part of my job. It also helps because I do marketing and publication work for the school which includes a lot of publicity materials (posters/fliers/etc.).

i would question myself if i need a speedmoster like the 1D X for it.

it´s quite a jump from 1800 euro (5D MK2) to 6000 euro (1D X).
i can understand the wish for better gear... but are you sure you need the features you buy with the 1D X?

personally i would spend my money for lenses not the newest body.

Upvote 0
C

Canon-F1

kenraw said:
Personally I would love a 1Dx and if I could afford one I would go for it. You only live once, regardless of whether you need the features or not ;)
If I was in your situation I would definately leave the 5Dmk2 and buy some new L glass in preparation for your 1Dx
You lucky man ;D

are you from the USA?

i ask because buying stuff that they never need or use seems to make absolut sense to americans.... but not to me. ;D

why should i buy stuff that i will not use?
that is a serious shopping syndrom then... if you have to fill your life with useless stuff.

Upvote 0

Z

Jan 15, 2012
evargas said:

A thought occurred to me that it might be beneficial to your students if you continue to use the same camera as them. If you produce great results with the same camera, they'll know that having better equipment is a minor part of good photography.

After all, everyone expects pro results from a pro camera...

Just a thought!

Upvote 0
E

evargas

Z said:
A thought occurred to me that it might be beneficial to your students if you continue to use the same camera as them. If you produce great results with the same camera, they'll know that having better equipment is a minor part of good photography.

After all, everyone expects pro results from a pro camera...

Just a thought!

This is a good point.

I actually just got back from Calumet Photographic and they were having a winter sale $100 off $1500 or more and I gave in to buying the 24-70L and the 580EX II flash.

Been playing with it for 30min and have no regrets. I figure the 24-70L II will come sometime at the end of this year if not next at this rate and I can sell it then.

No more spending until I get my 1DX now ;D

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.