Goofing around could lead to $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

May 26, 2012
For some reason the older I get, the more tolerant I am of abstract works. Must be mellowing in old age :eek:

Anyway, I was just messing about and thought there must be a market for giant "exclusive" prints of this stuff. Either go mass-market and sell zillions via Ikea or print out a couple of 8ft square whoppers to sell to Russian oligarchs for a few million a piece.

Just for fun, what do you think?

candyman

R6, R8, M6 II, M5
Sep 27, 2011
www.flickr.com
Yep, you are right.
I see this type of "art" in small art-shops where you can buy it as a poster (prox. 30 euro) or printed on canvas (prox. 60 euro)
Regarding the colors....print a color that fits with the seasons popular interior colors and you have a winner to put on the wall. Next season people buy a new one with different color since they come relatively cheap.

Upvote 0
sandymandy said:
I remember some photo that was heavily photoshopped (and really looked like that too!) and it also sold for a million euro or such ???

{Warning, double post}
yeah that one river or something where all people, buildings and objects were removed for a barren landscape?
If it were a physically 'doctored' film photo then I would give praise, but millions for that?? No subject, story, message or anything, what an age of photography we're in. I thought the whole thing might be some weird promotion/advertising for Adobe "Man who meticulously uses photoshop makes tons of $$$, you can too so buy our Creative Suite!"

Upvote 0
Nishi Drew said:
This type of photography has been and is quickly being replaced by with CG, simple abstract stuff is easy to render and there's more control over the subject and lighting blah blah. But hey, all the photographer does is carry around nice gear to location so he can click a button for the camera to make magic, right??

Very true..

From the POV of a stock photo shooter (and user... graphic design is my full time gig), I think the most profitable way to judge a photo is looking at it's thumbnail and how attractive it appears alongside others... which translates to bastardizing your photos 99% of the time.

If you're trying to sell photos, it's true that something like pretty bokeh circles probably sells better than a rare photo of a lion in the wild taken with a $20,000+ setup, 9 times out of 10. But... HDR the shit out of that lion and put pretty bokeh circles behind him and you might have a winner! (jk lol)

Upvote 0
May 26, 2012
Whilst we're debating the pros and cons of what makes "art", I can't help noticing that in the 7hrs or so since I posted the images, the thread has been read almost 1000 times and the images opened almost 900 times each and yet no one has asked what the images are of. I'd have thought abstract images would have caused at least one person to ask, "what is it?". Maybe they're too obvious. Maybe I'm over-analysing the minds of the people who view this site. Maybe I should get out more. ;)

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2011
GuyF said:
Whilst we're debating the pros and cons of what makes "art", I can't help noticing that in the 7hrs or so since I posted the images, the thread has been read almost 1000 times and the images opened almost 900 times each and yet no one has asked what the images are of. I'd have thought abstract images would have caused at least one person to ask, "what is it?". Maybe they're too obvious. Maybe I'm over-analysing the minds of the people who view this site. Maybe I should get out more. ;)

I was wondering about the first image.

The other ones look like a close up of a piece of steel rod.

Care to share details?

Upvote 0
I

iris chrome

GuyF said:

Well, the first one is obviously some sort of light source but I don't know what.

The second one looks to me like a macro close-up of the head of a nail.

Upvote 0

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
smithy said:
The first one looks like street lights shining through a wet window (it definitely looks like something wet). The second one looks to me like a cork (from a wine or beer bottle), although someone mentioned a nail head, which is also a good guess.
I thought cork too... May be I should shoot a nail head and see...

Upvote 0
serendipidy said:
crasher8 said:
I see a Mark Rothko comment coming

+1
One of his paintings sold this year for $86.9 million USD :eek:

I think its a little different about him because he always paints like "that". I also think it looks more "natural" cuz he has to paint everything himself, choose the colors, the canvas etc.
Ive never seen his paintings in real but i know a lot of famous art pieces just have something special about them thats hard to put in words. Its that magic what makes an artist, the magic that awakes emotions in your hear and puts thoughts in ur brain. Drawings from "Miro" also look easy to make but thats not whats its all about. And its like 100% handcraft.

About abstract photography i think in way too many cases it just looks like somebody clicked randomly around added a lot of scripts or such to get a random final resul that just "looks so damn artsy".

If u just randomly paint around on a canvas im quite sure u wont suddenly come up with a miro or rothko or kandinsky or whatever abstract piece. Digital work doesnt include 100% handcraft imho but a lot of things u can just tell the computer to do and then it will do it. Thats why i think it cant ever be as cool as "real abstract art".

Ive more respect for people creating something so simple i always wonder "omg mr. rothko why didnt i come up with this for the past years??" :)

But sorry that picture i mentioned earlier look totally like a douchebag photoshop job and you could buy lot of leicas for the price it sold for....

Upvote 0