Google Pixel 2 Reviewed: Sets New Record for Overall Smartphone Camera Quality

+10 ;)

The best camera is the one that's with you.

dolina said:
aceflibble said:
Basically, people are reading the headline, taking one look at the numbers, and completely ignoring context.

Let's reiterate again for those who didn't pay attention the first time:
These scores are only relative to other phones and measurements are scored by the standards of phones, not other camera systems. DxO are not comparing a mobile phone to a 1DX; stop being a jackass, people.

Mt Spokane Photography said:
and no phone camera is at 98 on the low light scale, more like 10.
They're not a 98 compared to larger-sensor ILCs, but they can be a 98 compared to other phones, which is how DxO repeatedly explains its mobile scores are handled.

That's why they have their own separate list.

We all know image sensor size and optics count.

But for the bottom 99% of the population that will take photos just to display on screens no larger than 6" then the smartphone camera is good enough.

For us who plan to print onto a larger surface then smartphones are no better than $100 point and shoots

Upvote 0
powershot2012 said:
+10 ;)

The best camera is the one that's with you.

What I would like to see is an ILC with stock Android

Panasonic, Nikon and Samsung combined a larger image sensor point and shoot with Android but failed because they couldnt offer enough differential value over a more traditional smartphone with a smaller image sensor.

I think Sony would be successful in matching an E-mount camera with Android Oreo.

Upvote 0
For some reason I'm not keen on a phone branded by Google. I have an s8 at the mo, that and their gear s3 and gear fit, the gear s3 truly brings the smartphone and ease of use into another level, making calls from a watch is novel at first but becomes extremely useful. The s8 has been the best phone I've owned to date, I've had smartphones since day dot. The s8s camera is certainly at another level but as hard as I tried last night I could not get it to take a photo anything near my DSLR, even viewing on small screens it just lacks something. Perhaps it's just depth of field of the classic rendering of lenses like I was using last night, namely the 85 f/1.2 II. I'm sure Google will hit it off with its new phone and even though I'm not one to buy into brand names I do indeed buy into "Samsung" for quality and after sales backup etc, perhaps Google just sounds cheap.

Upvote 0
I am not a big fan of DxO but where can I see where they compare the phone to the likes of the Huawei P10 and other Chinese-made phones which have exceptional cameras as far as phones go?

I don't want to compare to iPhone (won't ever buy) or Samsung (got off that conveyor belt recently).

I would like more choice in choosing how they compare the phones to others. Huawei's cameras are connected to Leica too.

I have no doubt that the Pixel 2 is a very, very good phone camera. The Huawei Note 10, to be announced in a few days, will be excellent too, as will the P11 Plus coming out in March or April 2018.

That's the thing, they are all so good for what many use them for there's no need to read which is the best of the best according to whoever.

Upvote 0
I am with you on iPhone and Samsung... Especially with Samsung and all their bloatware.

Google keeps it simple and you are always getting the latest updates... It just works better.

As for the phone ratings, obviously they are for the most part, always improving, though some better than others.

For now at least, Google Pixel 2 is THE benchmark by which all other camera phones will be judged.

expatinasia said:
I am not a big fan of DxO but where can I see where they compare the phone to the likes of the Huawei P10 and other Chinese-made phones which have exceptional cameras as far as phones go?

I don't want to compare to iPhone (won't ever buy) or Samsung (got off that conveyor belt recently).

I would like more choice in choosing how they compare the phones to others. Huawei's cameras are connected to Leica too.

I have no doubt that the Pixel 2 is a very, very good phone camera. The Huawei Note 10, to be announced in a few days, will be excellent too, as will the P11 Plus coming out in March or April 2018.

That's the thing, they are all so good for what many use them for there's no need to read which is the best of the best according to whoever.

Upvote 0
The phone's camera is important but you should be equally concerned about software being up to date especially on flagship smartphones.

Android phones that have little or no involvement from Google tend to share these software short comings

* They run on older versions of Android that are 1-3 versions older.
* They are updated infrequently for for less than 1-2 years from the date of release, if ever.
* Modifications from the baseline stock Android version tend to not do so well.
* Android fragmentation
* All of this allows for a poor user experience and compromised security.

If you're using Android check your phone's "About device". Below is the initial year of release of currently supported Android versions.

* Oreo 8 - August 2017
* Nougat 7 - August 2016
* Marshmallow 6 - October 2015
* Kitkat 4.4 - October 2013

2017 Google Pixel 2 is guarantied 3 years of software updates.

My 2015 Nexus 6P gets software updates for 2 years and 2 months which is until November 2018.

Since the 2010 iPhone 4 software updates are provided for at least 5 years.

My 2015 iPhone 6s will get iOS 13 by 2020.

Like say the 2013 iPhone 5S it received iOS 11 that was last updated 4 days ago. Can anyone point to me any 2013 Android flagship from any brand that received Android 8 Oreo? It was last updated 5 days ago.

Android tends to be cheaper than iPhone. I have first hand experience as to why that is the case. :-|

Upvote 0
DXOMark has published their review of the Google Pixel 2 camera and it has been awarded the highest score for a smartphone ever. The first Pixel had a score of 89, the new Pixel camera has received a score of 98.
Fron DXOMark:

We’re in danger of running out of superlatives when describing the major image quality attributes of the Google Pixel 2. That makes sense for a device that tops our scoring charts —up from the 94 of the Apple iPhone 8 Plus and Samsung Galaxy Note 8 to a record-setting 98. So for just about any Photo or Video use case, it recommends itself as the phone camera with the best image quality. A notable exception to that assessment centers around the added performance in Zoom and Bokeh (including Depth and Portrait) that dual-camera smartphones such as the Apple iPhone 8 Plus and Galaxy Note 8 can provide. This said, the Pixel 2 is especially well-suited to videographers, as it achieves the highest Video score for any device we’ve tested — a 96. Read the full review

The Google Pixel 2 and Google Pixel 2 XL preorders will go live today in select countries.

Upvote 0