Gordon Laing explains the updates in firmware v1.1.0 for the Canon EOS R5

I just did a test with 8k25 with clog, to UHS II, no IS, rf 35mm, rear screen closed inwards.

1st test, 19mins 56s. Roughly the same as I got before (20m 10s)

Then I sat it on my tripod, next to the air con unit (which is near the ceiling - lucky my tripod will extend to over 2m). Based on Gordon's video where Canon said ok for the freezer, I thought air con would be ok - but I am not sure I would do this for extended recording / cooling.

Removed battery but kept everything closed bar the screen. Left the lens on as I figured it was slightly warm and thus provide some cooling. Also had an L bracket on, but slightly extended - also to perhaps provide some cooling. Air con on about 15mins, 18 deg. Body felt suitably chilled :D

The temp in my appt is not 18 deg atm, but for the 2nd test it is fair to say it was cooler than the first. When I tried previously with a desk fan and not using the air con on max, it still took me the 2 hrs to cool it down before I got the max record back.

Display shows 15 mins recording time, same as before ie fully restored. Hit the record button. 26mins before it ran out of space :LOL:. The overheat warning icon was on and didnt allow further recording. I guess I overdid it a little on the air con.:LOL:

There's a review over at DPR, including a simulation of stills and video which are improved. That's the one I want to test next as that's my personal use case.

It's currently cooling now with my 5" fan - same setup as aircon (lens, l plate, closed battery/cards, no card, no battery), except it is sitting on the same table near the window. I will leave that for 20 mins and see.

Attachments

• r5 fw test 2.JPG
    r5 fw test 2.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 217
  • r5 fw test 1.JPG
    r5 fw test 1.JPG
    159.1 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I'm a bit underwhelmed by this update. I mean how hard would it have been to throw in some of the obvious fixes? 1080p 120 anyone?
A lot more testing is required for those I would guess.

If you look at the R6 now released, the firmware changes for the 100-500mm, new cameras having certification, new Cine cameras coming. Canon is full on doing lots of things, so I think doing this now is a great first step, and those other are forthcoming. At the end of Gordon's video he said the same...

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
I just did a test with 8k25 with clog, to UHS II, no IS, rf 35mm, rear screen closed inwards.

1st test, 19mins 56s. Roughly the same as I got before (20m 10s)

Then I sat it on my tripod, next to the air con unit (which is near the ceiling - lucky my tripod will extend to over 2m). Based on Gordon's video where Canon said ok for the freezer, I thought air con would be ok - but I am not sure I would do this for extended recording / cooling.

Removed battery but kept everything closed bar the screen. Left the lens on as I figured it was slightly warm and thus provide some cooling. Also had an L bracket on, but slightly extended - also to perhaps provide some cooling. Air con on about 15mins, 18 deg. Body felt suitably chilled :D

The temp in my appt is not 18 deg atm, but for the 2nd test it is fair to say it was cooler than the first. When I tried previously with a desk fan and not using the air con on max, it still took me the 2 hrs to cool it down before I got the max record back.

Display shows 15 mins recording time, same as before ie fully restored. Hit the record button. 26mins before it ran out of space :LOL:. The overheat warning icon was on and didnt allow further recording. I guess I overdid it a little on the air con.:LOL:

There's a review over at DPR, including a simulation of stills and video which are improved. That's the one I want to test next as that's my personal use case.

It's currently cooling now with my 5" fan - same setup as aircon (lens, l plate, closed battery/cards, no card, no battery), except it is sitting on the same table near the window. I will leave that for 20 mins and see.

After 10 mins with the fan, it's of course not as cold as the air con, but it is cool to the touch. I did quickly take it away to plonk in a battery and the record times are back to 10 mins. Didnt do a record. Leaving it for a further 10 mins.

A the further 10 mins takes it up to 11mins 52, and then I realised the 64GB card was in, doh! Put the 128GB in and I get 15 mins I get at the start. So a significant improvement over what I got with fw 1.0 using the same fan (2hrs). Changing the algorithm has certainly made some welcome changes.

These are of course ideal temps. Controlled env, indoors. This USB or battery powered fan costs about 100HKD, about 10 GBP, 12USD.

Next test, I put the table and camera outside on the balcony. This probably took around 5 mins to find another extension cable, but the camera was still cooler from the 5" fan cooling it. I would guess the temp is around 30 degrees C (86 F) / 76 percent humidity according to the iphone temp app (which does it based on location). Not in direct sunlight, it is in the shade, and that's just giving an idea. I havent done this test with FW 1.0, so I have no comparison other than the indoor times. Although the picture shows the 5" fan, it isn't switched on during recording, I am only using it for cooldown. I get 18mins 31s. of recording (test 3 MC)

After 20mins with the 5" fan, I get 5mins recording displayed. I then rotated to portrait in case that is better cooling for a further 10 mins. Still says 5 mins. Hit the record button so I can get it to overheat and then see what the cooldown is without the fan.

Actual recording on the balcony is 12mins 1s before it shuts down (test 4 MC)

After 20 mins, with no fan, and no picture to show :D - the internal recording tells me 4mins. I leave it a further 10 mins. It tells me 5mins. Recording on the balcony gives me 8mins 4s

Oh and correction, sorry, it is 8k25 with clog, IPB, no IBIS, no AF. Have corrected that in the prev post.

I uploaded these pics from the iphone (FW Test 3-1, 3-2 and 3-3) with no editing, no cropping, no downsizing just in case someone would feel that I might somehow cheat...

Summary:
1st Test from power up (off all night) 19mins 56s
Next to air con unit for 15 mins.

2nd Test (indoors) 26m (ran out of storage, and then would not record further)
Cool down with 5" Fan for 15mins

3rd Test Outside on Balcony 18mins 31secs.
Cool down with 5" fan on Balcony. After 20mins it stated 5 mins. After a futher 10 mins still 5 mins.

4th Test Outside on Balcony 12mins 1s
Cool down by itself. After 20 mins it says 4 mins available and it feels midly warm. After a further 10 it tells me 5 mins.

5th Test (final) outside on Balcony 8mins 4s

Conclusions (mine!)

Indoors, with a 5" USB fan and some form of env temp control, then I think the recovery time has decreased a lot. For me, 2hrs down to 20 mins.

Outdoors, same fan, it gave me around 50% more recording time for the same cooldown period.

Attachments

• RF FW test 3-3.JPG
    RF FW test 3-3.JPG
    352.7 KB · Views: 171
  • RF FW test 3-2.JPG
    RF FW test 3-2.JPG
    216.5 KB · Views: 180
  • RF FW test 3-1.JPG
    RF FW test 3-1.JPG
    312.3 KB · Views: 171
  • RF FW test 3 MC.JPG
    RF FW test 3 MC.JPG
    157.3 KB · Views: 173
  • RF FW test 4 MC.JPG
    RF FW test 4 MC.JPG
    157.5 KB · Views: 150
  • RF FW test 5 MC.JPG
    RF FW test 5 MC.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Honestly this makes complete sense to me. A bit better sampling of temperature, a bit better cool down time, a bit better utilization of active cooling. I have a hard time seeing much better improvement without a hardware change.

With that said, people are still going to express frustration in not having the camera do everything they want. But I'm an optimist - maybe with people saying they're going to send it back or sell it I'll be able to find one on a discount some day

Only a tiny bit better.

I'm cancelling my order...again...maybe not...

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Rocksthaman

Eos R , R6 , R5
Jul 9, 2020
I want it to be a whiner mentality so I can feel better about myself? That is really the conclusion you draw?

I own dedicated video equipment and I work with reality. That is professional and rational. Whining endlessly about a product you don't own is in no way rational. I'll just ignore you from here out.

Exactly. The photographers and videographers have been buying separate tools for so long that it turns out a great video camera can also be a great photo camera and vice versa. Talk about whining , it’s Crazy how territorial people are , talking about how it’s a photography camera, it’s a camera that captures what ever we can get in front of the sensor. Look at the comments in the photography review G Lang did, finally a review for photography it was like this side of the fence wanted some attention.

Some how the art has gotten so caught up in the gear that it’s professional to have a dedicated this and a dedicated that. When the people that were paying are doing their own videos and taking pictures with their phones.

You want to know what’s really professional ....being profitable and staying in business. Having a bunch of cameras or even buying a cinema camera when your camera is hardware capable But software limited, it should drive you up a wall if unlimited record times or log profiles are important to you. I have two Sony’s because they have been cost effective and have affordable third party lenses. They are not inspiring to use but Very functional. I’ve been holding on to my canon glass and I have a shelf of it. But the features that Sony puts in their $900 cameras you would think Canon would put in their $4K one.

At some point the photographers who don’t care about video should because it’s a value game at this point because the real competition in this space is the cell phone.

Just look at the flip screen That are for “vloggers”, but the angles at which you can shoot now vs my old 5D’s are so much better. I got a cheap R and it is a blast to shoot with(AF is terribly inconsistent), but it is inspiring to use. Inspiration is growing in importance for me.
Is there a 29:59 time limit when recording externally?
No but there’s no real reason for there to be one internally. See any camera made in the past two years. The tax is gone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Have you considered that anyone who disagrees with you is not automatically a fan boy? Have you tried to imagine that some people might actually make a living with video and not still be whining about the R5? No one said it was a video camera yet you are still reacting like it is and something is wrong with it, even while you say it is not a video camera. How rational is that?! There are plenty of dedicated video tools on the market but predictably here you are griping again, while real pros seem to be out using tools that work for them.

Some of us simply make an informed decision, and then BUY THE RIGHT TOOL FOR THE JOB. Some of us own several brands of cameras and all the major brands are very good. Who is being unreasonable here, people accepting gear for what it is and moving on with life, or you, who has some strong anti Canon agenda and cannot get yourself over this reality of what the R5 is? Where is your Sony already? With the amount of complaining you do I wonder if they will give you a discount, if you are already not on their cult payroll. If your comments reflect how you run your video business, obsessing over problems instead of finding solutions and moving on, I think it may be your customers who are doomed, not Canon.

Also you are quite right, R5 is no replacement for the 5D4, it is way better.

'Canon's last hope' just listen to yourself. So much ego and so little thought put into your posts.

have you ever considered that when someone has a negative opinion on certain aspects of a camera, that doesn't mean they are out to bash the brand or that they are the competition fanboys.

please move on with your life. you're not going to change people's mind about their option on canon's overheating problem

• Haha
Upvote 0

tapanit

CR Pro
Jul 17, 2012
By February-March next year the camera should be pretty well sorted with fw updates, will probably be discounted and will be readily available.

Sometime Feb-Mar next year I plan to take an R5 out to Lapland and shoot auroras, guess I'll have to try 8k and/or 4kHQ modes. It will be interesting to see if and how soon it overheats (typical night temperature then will be around -20°C, but even -40°C is fairly common).

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Sometime Feb-Mar next year I plan to take an R5 out to Lapland and shoot auroras, guess I'll have to try 8k and/or 4kHQ modes. It will be interesting to see if and how soon it overheats (typical night temperature then will be around -20°C, but even -40°C is fairly common).
I reckon your batteries will run out first before the camera overheats (or cards are full) :)

Upvote 0
No but there’s no real reason for there to be one internally. See any camera made in the past two years. The tax is gone.
I agree that the European tax is gone but seeing that you are using an Atomos anyway, I am not seeing where your issue is? It doesn't seem to impede your use-case.

Upvote 0
So...I've mostly watched from the sidelines as all the drama has unfolded about overheating with the R5. I've seen people go from total disbelief that 8K was even real (or possible in this form factor) when rumored to acting cheated that it has any constraints. I see people say things like, "Canon hid the overheating truth at launch." Or, "They buried it in the manual." Or, "Great camera, terrible marketing." Was I the only one that saw footnote #2 in the video that said that 8K recording time depended on temperature and that recording time would be 20 minutes or less? That was even before they released the table of anticipated record times and cool-down times.

The R5 was marketed like everything else: Advertised highlights with asterisks and footnotes of the real-world caveats. I would have thought that for all the incredulity regarding the mere possibility of 8K RAW before the R5 launched that everyone would have looked for and seen the asterisks and footnotes. If they had just read those on launch day, there would be nothing to whinge about. People went from, "It's impossible," to "I've been cheated" nearly overnight and don't realize that their outrage is a product of their own ignorance (including on matters of engineering, I might add).

If there's one place Canon really missed the mark, it's in anticipating that people would be amazed and excited that a 5-series camera would be capable of shooting 8K at all, let alone 4K 120, 4K60, 4KHQ -- all at under $4K!. Not only did Canon give what everyone demanded, they threw in 8K RAW clips up to 20 minutes! Talk about a cherry on top! But no, they totally underestimated the toxic entitlement-oriented I-want-it-all-for-cheaper-than-ever mentality that has infected our culture. I see Canon engineers and decision makers, from one of the more honorable and respectful cultures in the world, producing an incredible piece of advanced technology, then essentially being shouted down as liars, cheaters and cripple-hammering lowlifes by a herd of self-absorbed, focus-on-the-negative, click-baiting lowlifes.

Could it be...that Canon brought to market an incredible stills camera, with market-leading features that also had powerful video capabilities for occasional video shooting, all for a relatively low price, and that serious film makers can either use cinema gear or plunk down a few hundred dollars for an external recorder for their all-day 4KHQ enjoyment?

Perish the thought...

Okay. That's out of my system, I think. :p

Can't wait until R5s are back in stock. I've just about got enough saved up!

• Love
Reactions: 16 users
Upvote 0
So...I've mostly watched from the sidelines as all the drama has unfolded about overheating with the R5. I've seen people go from total disbelief that 8K was even real (or possible in this form factor) when rumored to acting cheated that it has any constraints. I see people say things like, "Canon hid the overheating truth at launch." Or, "They buried it in the manual." Or, "Great camera, terrible marketing." Was I the only one that saw footnote #2 in the video that said that 8K recording time depended on temperature and that recording time would be 20 minutes or less? That was even before they released the table of anticipated record times and cool-down times.

The R5 was marketed like everything else: Advertised highlights with asterisks and footnotes of the real-world caveats. I would have thought that for all the incredulity regarding the mere possibility of 8K RAW before the R5 launched that everyone would have looked for and seen the asterisks and footnotes. If they had just read those on launch day, there would be nothing to whinge about. People went from, "It's impossible," to "I've been cheated" nearly overnight and don't realize that their outrage is a product of their own ignorance (including on matters of engineering, I might add).

If there's one place Canon really missed the mark, it's in anticipating that people would be amazed and excited that a 5-series camera would be capable of shooting 8K at all, let alone 4K 120, 4K60, 4KHQ -- all at under $4K!. Not only did Canon give what everyone demanded, they threw in 8K RAW clips up to 20 minutes! Talk about a cherry on top! But no, they totally underestimated the toxic entitlement-oriented I-want-it-all-for-cheaper-than-ever mentality that has infected our culture. I see Canon engineers and decision makers, from one of the more honorable and respectful cultures in the world, producing an incredible piece of advanced technology, then essentially being shouted down as liars, cheaters and cripple-hammering lowlifes by a herd of self-absorbed, focus-on-the-negative, click-baiting lowlifes.

Could it be...that Canon brought to market an incredible stills camera, with market-leading features that also had powerful video capabilities for occasional video shooting, all for a relatively low price, and that serious film makers can either use cinema gear or plunk down a few hundred dollars for an external recorder for their all-day 4KHQ enjoyment?

Perish the thought...

Okay. That's out of my system, I think. :p

Can't wait until R5s are back in stock. I've just about got enough saved up!

That's what cornieleous has been saying every 10 minutes since the official R5 camera release announcement.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I was stuck at 0% for a while, too...and the whole time I was thinking "I SHOULD'VE SWITCHED TO P MODE LIKE THE INSTRUCTIONS STATED!!". (I have pretty much every mode except for M and Av disabled, so I was too lazy to go in and enable P) :LOL:
Omg! So you can remove modes like on 1-series?! I’ve been searching for that info since release. Excellent (y) (y)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0