Gordon Laing reviews the 8K quality from the Canon EOS R5

SonicStudios

R5
CR Pro
Mar 4, 2020
Canon, this is mission control Houston, firmware status check, are we go or no go for R5 Firmware release, count down stands at T-minus 7 days and counting.

Last edited:

somebodE

I'm New Here
Feb 11, 2021
True, if and when Canon adds 8k output via HDMI
From what I heard the HDMI port on the R5 doesn't support the bandwidth required for 8K. Unless they do some compression in camera first; I don't see 8K being able to be recorded externally. This is a hardware limitation; not software so firmware won't resolve it (unless they are doing in camera compression).

privatebydesign

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Jan 29, 2011
From what I heard the HDMI port on the R5 doesn't support the bandwidth required for 8K. Unless they do some compression in camera first; I don't see 8K being able to be recorded externally. This is a hardware limitation; not software so firmware won't resolve it (unless they are doing in camera compression).
I pointed that out when Atamos announced the V+ for 8k external recording. Canon themselves say the HDMI port is not capable of external 8k. However both Atamos and Canon have partnered for the V+ and both say it will have 8k external.

somebodE

I'm New Here
Feb 11, 2021
I pointed that out when Atamos announced the V+ for 8k external recording. Canon themselves say the HDMI port is not capable of external 8k. However both Atamos and Canon have partnered for the V+ and both say it will have 8k external.
From the new firmware just released; you are correct. I am surprised.