Gordon Laing reviews the 8K quality from the Canon EOS R5

True, if and when Canon adds 8k output via HDMI
From what I heard the HDMI port on the R5 doesn't support the bandwidth required for 8K. Unless they do some compression in camera first; I don't see 8K being able to be recorded externally. This is a hardware limitation; not software so firmware won't resolve it (unless they are doing in camera compression).

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
From what I heard the HDMI port on the R5 doesn't support the bandwidth required for 8K. Unless they do some compression in camera first; I don't see 8K being able to be recorded externally. This is a hardware limitation; not software so firmware won't resolve it (unless they are doing in camera compression).
I pointed that out when Atamos announced the V+ for 8k external recording. Canon themselves say the HDMI port is not capable of external 8k. However both Atamos and Canon have partnered for the V+ and both say it will have 8k external.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I pointed that out when Atamos announced the V+ for 8k external recording. Canon themselves say the HDMI port is not capable of external 8k. However both Atamos and Canon have partnered for the V+ and both say it will have 8k external.
From the new firmware just released; you are correct. I am surprised.

Upvote 0