Gray wall jumping spider on my hand

Drainpipe

It's all about the little things.
Aug 30, 2014
www.instagram.com
I was pretty happy with the way these two turned out. I'm in the process of adjusting my diffusion setup to be a little softer and have less intense hot spots. I was running at 1/200s, ISO400, and f/11-f/13 with the MT-24EX at 1/8 or 1/4 on each head. I'm starting to experiment with more flash output (1/2) and lower ISO (200). Let me know what you think!

Attachments

lion rock

EOS 5D Mark IV
Jan 1, 2013
Drainpipe,
Incredible shots.
How do you get your friend to stay still pose long enough to photograph?
You have a knack with creatures!
-r

NancyP

EOS R
Dec 17, 2013
That was my thought - I sometimes see one of these in my office, and it is an Olympian in speed related to body length. I assume it lives off the ants that have been making their way indoors. I can understand getting a nectarivore to sit and graze on a sugar drop on your finger, but these jumping spiders want 6-legged meat.

Drainpipe

It's all about the little things.
Aug 30, 2014
www.instagram.com
Click said:
Very nice shots. I especially like the second one. :)
Thank you! It was one I had to look at for a second.

unfocused said:
Honestly, your stuff is incredible.
Thank you, you’re too kind.

lion rock said:
Drainpipe,
Incredible shots.
How do you get your friend to stay still pose long enough to photograph?
You have a knack with creatures!
-r
Thank you! To be honest I just try to be as calm as I can with them, and the feeling seems to sometimes be mutual ;D

NancyP said:
That was my thought - I sometimes see one of these in my office, and it is an Olympian in speed related to body length. I assume it lives off the ants that have been making their way indoors. I can understand getting a nectarivore to sit and graze on a sugar drop on your finger, but these jumping spiders want 6-legged meat.
That is very true. With jumpers they’re constantly looking for the next place to jump, so you have to take opportunity when it comes.

Jack Douglas said:
Blows me away. Any tips?

Jack
Slow and steady for jumpers. They can be exhausting when they’re trying to find their next spot to jump. Sometimes I don’t even get a good shot with them, so I have to take a lot. I guess my tips would be to have a lot of patience and even more persistence.

zim

EOS 5D Mark IV
CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
I hate spiders!

But these are superb images, absolutely fascinating

Thanks for posting (I think )

NancyP

EOS R
Dec 17, 2013
You know, I USED to hate spiders. Then I began observing and photographing them. Now I only hate spider bites and getting spider webs in the face (complete with dead fly) while hiking. Actual spiders I see - I am fine with them.