green color cast with hoya 82 mm UV & IR filter on 16-35

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I am rather disappointed with the HOYA 82 UV IR filter on the 16-35. There is a very clear green color cast in the corners.

The slim UV filter that I have as well does NOT have this problem.

At 205$, this hurts.

Settings, 16-35 F2.8 L @16 mm, 1DX, F2.8, iso 250, 1/6400.

Stopping down helps, but even at F9.0 it is still visible

Attachments

• With hoya 82 uv ir.jpg
    With hoya 82 uv ir.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 850
  • Without filter.jpg
    Without filter.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 754

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
wopbv4 said:
I am rather disappointed with the HOYA 82 UV IR filter on the 16-35. There is a very clear green color cast in the corners.

I just researched that and decided against buying a combined (and convenient) uv+ir-blocker for my 17-40L - the filter doesn't work on wide angle but only with 35mm+ for the reasons you just experienced - the angle of the light entering is too different and results in color shifts. If you want to block IR with uwa, you need a dedicated hot mirror filter.

Upvote 0

LifeAfter

Photo is only 1 media to express among the others
Dec 1, 2011
Switzerland / Kosova
wopbv4 said:
Hi,

The slim UV filter that I have as well does NOT have this problem.

At 205$, this hurts.

Settings, 16-35 F2.8 L @16 mm, 1DX, F2.8, iso 250, 1/6400.

Stopping down helps, but even at F9.0 it is still visible

Hi,

I have the 16-35 II, and i put a B&W filter on it, there is no visible problem.
the B&W filter are expensive but they are the best,
you'll have the least artifacts possible with these filters.

I had tried a Hoya and Hama before, they are not close to B&W.

I hope this helped.

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
lol said:
A thought does occur, do you really need extra IR blocking on top of what's in the camera body already?

For stills, afaik ir blocking with a filter only makes sense for long time exposures with a nd filter to counter the loss of contrast by ir pollution. But as I wrote above, the "cheaper" ir/uv unfortunately doesn't work with uwa - and stacking filters probably wouldn't either, so the only way is a very expensive combined ir/nd filter like from Tiffen.

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
wopbv4 said:
Hi,

At 205$, this hurts.
If spending $205 on a filter that produces green color cast in the corner hurts, imagine the Nikon D800 (costing around $3000) producing green "cast" cross the entire image.
One can easily remove the Hoya filter and not have the green case at all but with D800 you have no choice but to deal with it in PP

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.