Headed to Copenhagen / Stockholm -- gear/location advice appreciated

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
We're off to Copenhagen and then Stockholm before too long. Nine days total between the two cities.

Per the usual, travel as a family is a stick-and-move sort of activity in which I am not afforded the luxury of chimping, scripting/posing shots, using a flash, or getting a second try at it. So I usually strip down my kit on these trips and go with 2-3 of the following lenses on my 5D3:

• 16-35 f/4L IS
  • 24-70 f/4L IS
  • 28 f/2.8 IS
  • 35 f/2 IS
  • 50 f/1.4 (Canon)

Usually bring: BR strap, Gorillapod w/ballhead, UV and CPL filters, sometimes the lens hoods depending on space.

Usually leave at home: 600EX-RT, EF 40 pancake, 100L , 70-200 f/2.8L IS II and the 2x T/C, all my landscape gear

So, all that said, here are the questions:

1) For those that have been / have lived in either city, what locations did you find memorable as a photographer?

2) If you were to go with a two lens setup for the whole trip -- knowing my aversion to lugging heavy gear around on long treks through the city -- what would you choose for those locations, and why?

3) What single lens might you rent that isn't on the list above that might be a good move for me? If it helps, I trend towards fast wide/standard primes -- so the 35L II, 35 Art, 24L II, 50L come to mind. I'm game to other ideas, but good reliable AF is an absolute must for my needs.

Advice appreciated, thanks!

- A

bjale

Sport photo and nature when I can.
Aug 29, 2013
Sweden
bjornsfoto.wordpress.com
When are you going? Right now spring is coming in Stockholm, so in the city you could get some nice shots but out on the islands it is still not very green that takes some of the beauty away. But if you are going in some weeks I can give you some more ideas.

Björn
Based in Stockholm

Upvote 0
16-35 and the 50 prime plus the flash. With family photos, having a flash gives a lot more flexibility in lighting when trying to balance foreground/background exposure (fill) and for indoor shots. 16-35 for focal length flexibility in tight quarters. 50 for a slightly longer focal length and lower ambient light photography. 70mm is still too short for telephoto, and I'd almost always pick aperture flexibility (1.4 vs. 4) over 20mm and IS.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
bjale said:
When are you going? Right now spring is coming in Stockholm, so in the city you could get some nice shots but out on the islands it is still not very green that takes some of the beauty away. But if you are going in some weeks I can give you some more ideas.

Björn
Based in Stockholm

Around the beginning of June, if that helps.

- A

Upvote 0
Copenhagen: Frederik's Church & the Palaces, Rosenborg Castle Gardens, the harbor tour (when they say duck for the bridges they whole-heartedly mean it!), The Round Tower, the Statue of the Little Mermaid, no end of stuff to see.

If it's news there's a lane on the roads between the sidewalk and the vehicle lanes for bicycles and mopeds; the moped riders have utter right of way and are not afraid to exercise it.

I had only a little time there with a disposable film camera, but I would very much like to go back with what I have learned since.

Jim

Upvote 0
hi Ahsanford.
Great idea to visit Copenhagen (my home-town) in June.

For a family-trip (where family har priority over photography, as I read your description) I would go with the flow with the family 100% - rather than aiming for National Geographic level photography.
To me this means simplify the camera-setup. I would take camera in BR-strap + only one flexible lens. No more.
For me that would be the 24-105mm. So from your list it would be 24-70mm. Will cover most situations well enough.
Rather spend the time on being with the family, seeing good places, enjoying taking part in the general outdoor life in the city.

Jim's suggestions of good places are certainly valid. Much can be added.
If you like daily city-life check out these areas - very different and representative:
- Christianshavn (charming old area with canals)
- Noerrebro (start from 'The Red Square')
- Frederiksberg (start from Frederiksberg Runddel - include the gardens, eventually add the Zoo)
If you like museums check out:
- Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek (wonderful building, interior, art from Egyptian to impressionist and beyond)
Good kid-stuff - and pleasant for adults as well:
- Tivoli gardens
- Zoo
- 'Eksperimentarium'
- 'Frilandsmuseet' - a great open air museum showing Danish old times country-life. 13 km N from centre

Enjoy your trip.
Peder

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
I've been in Copenhagen several times. It is a very nice city, but I have nothing to add to the other recommendations you have received. Just walking around in the city center should give you many opportunities.

With regards to lenses, out of your lenses I would choose the 28 and the 50. They are nice, small and light. I am not sure I would rent either of the lenses you suggest for this trip, and that's because you really don't need fast lenses in Scandinavia in June (unless hunting for bokeh). It will probably be light enough outside for shooting at f2.8 till probably 10pm. If you are renting, I really like all of the Canon lenses you consider. I never found any love for my (now sold) 35ART.

Upvote 0
I grew up just in the suburbs and currently live 10km from the center of Copenhagen.

Jim and Peder make some great points, so I won't repeat their good points.

Of the lenses you mention, I'd go for (1) 24-70 and (2) 16-35 on the 5D3.
In the beginning of June, the sun will be up from 4.30am to 9.40pm, with quite a prolonged blue hour.

I wouldn't trek to Frilandsmuseet unless your family wants to go there.
Actually, since this is a family trip, I'd turn it around and ask: what sites do your family want to see - then use that as a plan/template for the photo-ops that are close by.
If you like amusement parks there's Dyrehavsbakken as well, which is at the edge of the large Deergarden.

If you're into pastries, I'd recommend you to make a stop at La Glace.

The round tower is quite easily accessible and lifts you up some 32m above ground, overlooking most of the city.
Note that it can get quite windy up there...

As Jim is saying, stepping into a bike lane without looking can get you seriously injured when a bike hits your at 25-30kph. It's called a Bike Lane for a reason - they have the way of right.

The canal tour is touristy, but a great way of seeing/learning about the city.

PS: bring wind/rain-proof jackets. Don't bother with umbrellas, because it tends to rain horizontally here.

Feel free to PM me for details/help.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Kids locations = not needed. Our 'kids' are of the four-legged variety and they'll be in (very fun) boarding while we are away.

That said, my wife is a handful -- she never stops moving -- so all the prior 'stick and move' comments still apply.

Great feedback, all, please keep it coming! Any more thoughts on Stockholm?

- A

Upvote 0
I do not know what kind of photography you mainly do, so it is difficult to recommend. I do not live in Stockholm (or Copenhagen), but I have visited Stockholm quite many times. I have not managed to get a decent photograph there, though, but that is my problem.

There are of course the standard tourist attractions, the old town and the castle, if that is what you are interested in. There is a nice photography museum http://fotografiska.eu/ in Södermalm, and strolling around Södermalm is also fun. The "Vasa" ship is a must-see, of course, the high point of Swedish engineering (or more accurately, a monument to excessive customer requirements). A ship that sank on it's maiden voyage from the first breeze it encountered in 1628. You'll need a wide aperture lense when photographing the ship, at least the last time I saw it the lights were dim to shield the old ship. Or boost your ISO, as you probably need some depth of field as well. Wide angle is probably ideal.

If you are into concerts, there are quite many of those in June: Zara Larsson June 1st, Veronica diMaggio June 2nd, Radiohead June 9th, and Justin Bieber June 10th. And lots more, they may be sold out, though.

Stockholm is situated on islands, there is plenty of sea to see, and boat trips to make. If you are from the States, you probably like driving a car. You could make a scenic drive (well, not all of it is scenic, but quite some of it is) around the islands, which also involves two very short ferry trips; from Stockholm to Värmdö (road) to Myttinge to Rindö (ferry) to Vaxholm (ferry) and back to Stockholm. Check the schedules, though.

And if you want to see the real multi-cultural Stockholm, you could take the subway to e.g. Kista (a suburb) during daytime, when Kista is a business city, and when the evening comes the population changes totally. But well, if you are not into that kind of thing, maybe not. Watching all the different nationalities at Sergels Torg may be enough.

And as mentioned the light will be great. You'll be able to photograph practically through the night, although the sun does set at Stockholm's latitude for a few hours. But it won't be pitch dark even in the middle of the night. Sunsets are late and sunrises very, very early. (Quite many foreigners find it difficult to sleep, actually.)

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
BurningPlatform said:
I do not know what kind of photography you mainly do, so it is difficult to recommend.

Ah -- right. I shoot what's around me. Nothing too scripted, serious, or specific:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/66374817@N04/

...but it's fair to presume I won't be shooting landscapes or concert work as (mentioned before) this will be a 'stick and move' sort of trip.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
BurningPlatform said:
The "Vasa" ship is a must-see, of course, the high point of Swedish engineering (or more accurately, a monument to excessive customer requirements). A ship that sank on it's maiden voyage from the first breeze it encountered in 1628.

[break]

If you are into concerts, there are quite many of those in June: Zara Larsson June 1st, Veronica diMaggio June 2nd, Radiohead June 9th, and Justin Bieber June 10th. And lots more, they may be sold out, though.

1) I have a Swedish-American friend who insisted Vasa be our #1 stop. He calls it the Spruce Goose of Sweden.

2) I'd kill to see Radiohead again. Huge fan. Not sure our dates line up, but I will look into it, thx.

- A

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I have a friend who is a marine engineer and one of his hobbies is building museum 'model' boats. He has a Vasa and I read some wonderful text books on the history of the ship and her recovery.

He also has a 20 foot rivet accurate 'model' of the Titanic's sister ship Olympic in production, his estimate for completion is another ten years! The class of ship the Titanic was was actually an Olympic-class liner.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
kaihp said:
ahsanford, I found this map on /r/Copenhagen:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EaGtFWRmQzF2nmVBI28lN5lwg5k&usp=sharing

Already have a map, thanks -- I don't just listen to you lot! :D

I write this forum to shake out what grabbed you as photographers in those destinations, and that might inform what I go to see and what I might bring to capture it with.

- A

Upvote 0

jhpeterson

CR Pro
Feb 7, 2011
I think it would be remiss not to have the 70-200, if nothing else but to record details. There also have to be times when you can't get close enough or you'd like the effect of a tele lens.
Both the 16-35 and the 24-70 should round out your kit well. I see little to no value (aside from it's speed) in taking the 50. But, then, I'm not a normal guy.
If you're only taking two lenses, I'd leave out the 24-70. You still have the wide and the long (and usually accommodate the in-between with your feet). When I travel light, the 16-35 and the 70-200 are what I bring along almost 99% of the time.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
jhpeterson said:
I think it would be remiss not to have the 70-200, if nothing else but to record details. There also have to be times when you can't get close enough or you'd like the effect of a tele lens.
Both the 16-35 and the 24-70 should round out your kit well. I see little to no value (aside from it's speed) in taking the 50. But, then, I'm not a normal guy.
If you're only taking two lenses, I'd leave out the 24-70. You still have the wide and the long (and usually accommodate the in-between with your feet). When I travel light, the 16-35 and the 70-200 are what I bring along almost 99% of the time.

I don't use LR but I used a smart album-ish sort of approach to back out how little I use the 70-200. Since I got it in 2012, I have captured:

• 1,759 pictures (from any lens) that I personally peg as a 3/5 star or better shot.

• Only 105 of those were taken on the 70-200

It's a stellar, stellar lens. But I use it 4-5 times a year for the odd portraiture need or occasional varmint spotting while hiking or camping. It will not join me on this trip due to weight, what I prefer to shoot, and the relatively close confines of the city.

- A

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
Random Orbits said:
16-35 and the 50 prime plus the flash. With family photos, having a flash gives a lot more flexibility in lighting when trying to balance foreground/background exposure (fill) and for indoor shots. 16-35 for focal length flexibility in tight quarters. 50 for a slightly longer focal length and lower ambient light photography. 70mm is still too short for telephoto, and I'd almost always pick aperture flexibility (1.4 vs. 4) over 20mm and IS.

+1 for the flash. I hope to go to the UK next year, and I highly doubt I will have an opportunity to change lenses, so I'm thinking about taking just a 24-70/2.8 (I actually don't currently own one) and a flash, not even a camera. Just kidding. And a 5d-style camera. To my personal taste 24mm is more than wide enough in-city, 70mm is barely good enough for a portrait (half body), f/2.8 is fast enough to have a subject isolation if required, and the flash really helps to shoot under bright sun and balance with bright background. If need to go wider - I take handheld panoramas :)

https://flic.kr/p/SAvjw1

Upvote 0