Heat Wave! 100 Liters of water + model + sunshine....

SandyP said:
Did two of these last year, this one though, from a few weeks back, was really difficult because of the shifting clouds that kept ruining the sunshine. Just a big ass reflector to the camera right, and 4 people slamming/throwing/blasting water across the frame in MASSIVE buckets. Fun. But stressful!

HEAT WAVE by Sandy Phimester, on Flickr

Love it!

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
sandymandy said:
looks kind of overexposed to me
I was thinking the same thing, but, my guess is that its just the reflector side being very bright compared to the other side. The concept is great, just seems like you lost some face detail with the reflector light being bright.

Not the easiest conditions to nail exposure though, and the overexposure is only there when you look closer

Upvote 0
S

SandyP

Murdy said:
Let's not beat around the bush. It IS overexposed. Justifying that by saying you like bright images doesn't alter the fact that you went to all that trouble and got it wrong.
No problem though, you learnt for next time.

No, it's not. Haha, the very idea that exposure is a set rule and that it belongs dead in the center is a joke, so don't try to sell me such fabricated nonsense. It's exposed perfectly for the desired effect. If you believe that is too much, then I'm happy that you feel it's too much, however it was decided ahead of time, it was edited and shot as such, and published as such.

It's exactly how it was meant to be. The only thing that was "learnt" (not actually a word, by the way) was that I should bring more water for next time.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
SandyP said:
Murdy said:
Let's not beat around the bush. It IS overexposed. Justifying that by saying you like bright images doesn't alter the fact that you went to all that trouble and got it wrong.
No problem though, you learnt for next time.

No, it's not. Haha, the very idea that exposure is a set rule and that it belongs dead in the center is a joke, so don't try to sell me such fabricated nonsense. It's exposed perfectly for the desired effect. If you believe that is too much, then I'm happy that you feel it's too much, however it was decided ahead of time, it was edited and shot as such, and published as such.

It's exactly how it was meant to be. The only thing that was "learnt" (not actually a word, by the way) was that I should bring more water for next time.
+10! I expose to my liking, if a stupid Sekonic plastic box tells me it was over I throw it away.. Hm, oh, that's right, I in fact did that with mine after three days of using it...

Keep up the good work and break the rules!

Upvote 0
SandyP said:
Actually "learnt" is a word. It's interchangeable with "learned" to be used as the past tense of learn. Learnt is the UK English version of the word...

On my monitor it looks overexposed. Perhaps printed it is not. I have no problem with breaking the "rules" and straying from the norm... and I expose all of my images based on how they look to my eye (using the histogram as a guide while shooting in the field). To my eye this would look better if it was not overexposed... even if it was intentional.

You did post this image expecting critique I assume? Otherwise you would not have posted it. These critiques are intended to be constructive and I doubt Viggo meant to come across as rude.

Upvote 0
I think sometimes that people forget that not all photography is the same and that some people use cameras to create art instead of "just" capturing a scene (don't be thrown off by the "just", capturing a scene perfectly is definitely art as well, but it should also be clear that there are uses of cameras beyond capturing all available detail in a subject).

just as an abstract artist might represent a mountain wIth two slashes of color on a blank canvas, photographers have the freedom to manipulate reality in order to achieve a desired emotional response.

This is a long way toward saying: Great photo! I appreciate you pushing the bounds of what can be done.... we all need to remember to be creative and use our imagination with our images instead of "just" capturing what we see... You never know what might be possible!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Murdy said:
Your reply suggests that it IS overexposed.
Just because you shot it that way doesn't mean it's not overexposed lol.

Because it was shot that way, by choice, means that in the opinion of the photographer, it is properly exposed. We're free to disagree with that decision, of course. But saying a shot is over- or underexposed implies an error or undesired result, and that's not the case here.

Upvote 0
S

SandyP

It's exposed how it's supposed to be. I'm not sure I understand the childish way you keep batting this around. If the choice was made before hand, during, and after, then it's a choice, not a mistake, which you are tying to imply. And your total condescending tone of saying that it was a mistake I "learnt" for next time, is just trying to be a total dick. Which, of course, is completely transparent. And hilarious. Better luck next time. It's exposed 100% properly. Haha.

The internet is a funny place sometimes. Why do some of the mouthiest people have nothing to back it up with, no work to show, and no actual reasoning behind their "arguments" that are being made, you can't explain anything, but you can be argumentative with no substance or reasonsing. Sure, if some people disagree and can say it properly, then that's cool and of course I accept that.

But if not, then it's just a petty, hilarious and obvious attempt at being a little troll.

I tried this sort of technique a few times in other ways, most notably was these other ones:

SUMMER PT. 3 by Sandy Phimester, on Flickr

SUMMER PT. 4 by Sandy Phimester, on Flickr

SUMMER PT. 2 by Sandy Phimester, on Flickr

WALK THROUGH WALLS 2 by Sandy Phimester, on Flickr

They all had the same lesson of being rushed with the last minute light, except the one with the ribbons, that was almost TOO windy, and had the beauty dish knocked over twice, but I had an assistant with me, and we both caught it once each before hitting the ground. Haha.

Upvote 0
SandyP said:
It's exposed how it's supposed to be. I'm not sure I understand the childish way you keep batting this around. If the choice was made before hand, during, and after, then it's a choice, not a mistake, which you are tying to imply. And your total condescending tone of saying that it was a mistake I "learnt" for next time, is just trying to be a total dick. Which, of course, is completely transparent. And hilarious. Better luck next time. It's exposed 100% properly. Haha.

Really... You get a little criticism and this is how you take it?? :'( :'( :'(

Upvote 0