Here’s a list of rumoured and predicted cameras coming from Canon in the next year

I honestly don't care about the EOS M system. :) I've updated the post and now mention the EOS M system.
That said, I haven't heard anything for quite some time about new cameras for the system. It would make sense to come at the same time as the EOS 90D.
I suspect it will stick around. I doubt sigma would produce lenses for it if it was going away.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
As someone who has owned the IDX mk 1 and Mk II, I am waiting for the MK III...my question is with the Summer Olympics coming next August will the MK III be AVAILABLE prior to the Olympic games??? Seems to me that they need that camera in people's hands prior to seeing all of the pros using it in Japan....just my two cents worth, but waiting until after the Olympics is just gonna piss me off!

Upvote 0
You may not care about the M system, but one would think Canon would. The M50 is the largest selling mirrorless camera in Japan and has been 1st or 2nd selling Canon IL camera there for quite a while, and the M100 ranks 4th. Personally, it is/was also my own favorite Canon system. After quite a while of waiting for an always-promised-never-delivered update to the M5 I gave up and switched to another system late last year. And now they seemed to have stopped even promising it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
You may not care about the M system, but one would think Canon would. The M50 is the largest selling mirrorless camera in Japan and has been 1st or 2nd selling Canon IL camera there for quite a while, and the M100 ranks 4th. Personally, it is/was also my own favorite Canon system. After quite a while of waiting for an always-promised-never-delivered update to the M5 I gave up and switched to another system late last year. And now they seemed to have stopped even promising it.
I picked up a used M5 and 18-150 last week after giving my original M away last year. Absolutely love the little thing.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
As someone who has owned the IDX mk 1 and Mk II, I am waiting for the MK III...my question is with the Summer Olympics coming next August will the MK III be AVAILABLE prior to the Olympic games??? Seems to me that they need that camera in people's hands prior to seeing all of the pros using it in Japan....just my two cents worth, but waiting until after the Olympics is just gonna piss me off!
It doesn't have to be too far in advance of the Olympics since the muscle memory will not change as the pro series is going to be very similar to the existing pro series. But the sooner the better :) The Mark II came out in February of the Olympic year.

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
At least you added the smiley face emoji on the M5 comment! Seriously, I don’t disagree about the lack of commitment. You can see from my gear list I am usually more interested in the mainstream gear. I actually like using the M5 for trips where I want DSLR capabilities but don’t want to lug around a big body. I carry one of the M zooms when I want really light, but you can get some nice images with the 40mm pancake or 70-200 f4 L IS II. My only asks for the M5 is improve performance across the board and eliminate the laggy AF. I would actually like something like the XT-3 but don’t want to deal with adapting Canon lenses to a non-canon body. I am interested in the 90D if it has enough 7dII DNA with better high ISO and AF.
I honestly don't care about the EOS M system. :) I've updated the post and now mention the EOS M system.
That said, I haven't heard anything for quite some time about new cameras for the system. It would make sense to come at the same time as the EOS 90D.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Curious if anyone who wants two cards for backup in case a card dies, is happy with the camera's ability to sync photos via Blutooth to a smart phone? I've tried it myself and it works but is a bit slow on my relatively old iPhone. I don't know if its faster on newer phones or if that speed difference make the difference between eliminating the need for two-card camera for anyone or not.
Slow and I believe JPEGS only.

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
I love my 1dx II but not sure I will upgrade unless the 1dx iii has significantly better AF & high ISO performance. I don’t need more mpx or faster frame rate. I would like to see what they do with the mirrorless version. It would also be nice if the 90d had enough 7dII DNA to make it interesting. I loved the 7dII as a camera body but was never happy with the ISO above 800.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It doesn't have to be too far in advance of the Olympics since the muscle memory will not change as the pro series is going to be very similar to the existing pro series. But the sooner the better :) The Mark II came out in February of the Olympic year.
I purchased my MK II in early February or March and Canon was taking pre-orders, as I seem to recall, late the previous year. Since we have all heard that the MK III is out in beta testing, I am still hoping that the camera will be announced in December and available to consumers BEFORE SUMMER ARRIVES...that's my hope anyway, as I sold my 5Dsr about two months ago and need a back up camera for my MK II...no I need my MK II to be my back u camera....

Upvote 0
the lens get praise but not much else. then the lens that are praised are out of the price range of most people. they literally did the opposite of what people wanted.
You may not get around the block much !! I'm hearing from photographers on forums, Facebook and Instagram who have been buying RF 85mm lenses. More than I anticipated to hear about. Sounds like the opposite of what you can afford, but totally in line with the purchasers are acquiring and sharing.

But when the EOS R was first released, I was suprised by how many photographers were buying the RF 50mm and not just the kit lens. I bought the RF 50mm and although it is not inexpensive, it's one of my favorite lenses and reminds me of the Zeiss Milvus 85mm I used to have for how nice the photos look. It may be that RF 85mm buyers share more on the internet, but regardless, there seems some fair movement with sales.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
At least you added the smiley face emoji on the M5 comment! Seriously, I don’t disagree about the lack of commitment. You can see from my gear list I am usually more interested in the mainstream gear. I actually like using the M5 for trips where I want DSLR capabilities but don’t want to lug around a big body. I carry one of the M zooms when I want really light, but you can get some nice images with the 40mm pancake or 70-200 f4 L IS II. My only asks for the M5 is improve performance across the board and eliminate the laggy AF. I would actually like something like the XT-3 but don’t want to deal with adapting Canon lenses to a non-canon body. I am interested in the 90D if it has enough 7dII DNA with better high ISO and AF.
The one thing I’d like upgraded, ok two things, the replay/review time is insane, and I never say no to better AF.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Curious if anyone who wants two cards for backup in case a card dies, is happy with the camera's ability to sync photos via Blutooth to a smart phone? I've tried it myself and it works but is a bit slow on my relatively old iPhone. I don't know if its faster on newer phones or if that speed difference make the difference between eliminating the need for two-card camera for anyone or not.

I personally don't think I"d ever want to trust anything critical to a wireless/Bluetooth connection.

It's handy, but still prone to interference, loss of signal, etc. For criticality, I trust something 'wired' in.....

Just my $0.02,

C

Upvote 0
I personally don't think I"d ever want to trust anything critical to a wireless/Bluetooth connection.

It's handy, but still prone to interference, loss of signal, etc. For criticality, I trust something 'wired' in.....

Just my $0.02,

C

This. Bluetooth is a bit more stable than other wireless connections and can change between many channels. However, the largest events with the highest chance for interference are the events with the highest amount of risk.

Upvote 0

Ouch. Don't care? Not something one would expect from a Canon fan site. Of course they'll reuse the 90d sensor for the M system. It's a great system, affordable and much smaller and lighter than RF.

Upvote 0
Haven't bought anything new in a while. 1DX II, 5DSR, 600 II, etc etc. Did buy my Mom a 7D MK II to replace her old T3. People keep trying to convince me to buy into Sony, then when we are out they are waiting for their camera to wake up so not exactly a compelling sales talk. More than 50MP FF with an actual buffer would interest me, especially coupled with the 200-400/600 lenses. Was going to buy a 600 III but waiting to see how the dust settles on the RF side.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
If you got it at BH photo, that may have been mine that I just traded in ;)
Loved that thing...
Ha, no I got it locally. Just paid nearly as much for the RRS L-Plate from KEH as I did for the kit! One thing I would like is a genuine hotshot cover, can't seem to find the genuine thing for sale anywhere.

Upvote 0