Here’s the full list of gear Canon will announce on September 5

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
CR? does anything other than a Nosita post about a potential order form corroborate this?

It would be a rare mistake for Nokishita to publish that and it not be true at this stage of the game. You can feel pretty confident enough to take it to the bank if they make a proclamation like that

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Feels like finally we are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. No doubt this will generate a lot of excitation and expectations. I guess it is wise to keep expectation low. It is Canon. This time around Canon might decide to pull a 5D2 moment that would be simply awesome!!! but then I have to keep my expectation low :rolleyes:

I think it's perfectly reasonable with the lenses on this list that they do just that. It probably hasn't had it's pricing finalized and isn't coming out until later this year - I'm guessing they'll just show a mockup or early model? The list shown above is from an actual order form so these are just what's going to be available in the immediate future. I know on the copier side of the business they generally update the catalog/order forms about 6 times a year. I can't imagine the photo side being all that different, I'm sure it'll be listed in the next round.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Crow served fried, baked and roasted. Possibly in stew as well.

However,

Still possible disappointment. if a high end, high mp body isn't released I will have nothing to pre-order.

You will be waiting until next year for the other model I'm pretty sure.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Rather, I suspect they are adapters to mount PL lenses on the EOS R, one of which has an ND filter option.

Seems a bit odd we'd have a small MILC with PL lens mounting. Usually see those on more full featured, dedicated cinema cameras.

Upvote 0
Maybe this is one of the reasons the 70-200 III only got coatings and a paint job. I can imagine developing all of this new gear over the last several years would take a lot of time and resources - it may have made more sense to just do a refresh of the 70-200 (considering how good it still is) when you're developing all of this behind the scenes.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I think that 28-70 F2 is a typo and its actually 2.8. Anyway, this is really exciting, hoping for some additional leaks before next week.

I hope not (if that list is true at all). 28-70 f2.8 would make it worse than classic EF 24-70 f2.8L II.
f2, on the other hand, is quite impressive, it's literally +1 stop of light, shallower DoF and cooler bokeh. That'd kill Nikon with its mediocre initial Z-mount lens selection.

Upvote 0
Aug 31, 2014
UK
Seems a bit odd we'd have a small MILC with PL lens mounting. Usually see those on more full featured, dedicated cinema cameras.
Surely PL refers to Polariser? Check out this image from a Canon Patent, could 102 be a filter or speed booster? Could R refer to "revolving", Can I get a EOS R for my birthday?
JPA_430112698_000007-1.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Unless this is a full featured cinema camera - this could be Canon's answer to the requests for full video features on a DSLR form factor. One of the earlier rumours did mention that one of the two cameras coming would have much more advanced video features...

Upvote 0
I'm sure the adapter is more geared towards people buying it for future R mount 5d*/1d* cameras. It instills confidence that those mounts are still going to be supported in the future. It's just an adapter, so why not release it now? It'll still be usable on this camera, even if it's not going to be used by a huge number of folks until the more professional models come out.

Upvote 0
Still possible disappointment. if a high end, high mp body isn't released I will have nothing to pre-order.

A lot of us have been expecting a 5DS(R) successor for a while. But it may make sense for Canon to release a high-res model as an EOS R to completely remove the mirror-slap effect. A mirrorless model seems like the way to go if they ever intended to upscale the 120MXSC sensor to full-frame (or some variant of it).

Upvote 0
Aug 24, 2016
Unless this is a full featured cinema camera - this could be Canon's answer to the requests for full video features on a DSLR form factor. One of the earlier rumours did mention that one of the two cameras coming would have much more advanced video features...
Yeah I suspect that's what they're going for. Terrible idea though, I want a decent stills camera and not some weird hybrid where half my money goes into video features I never use.

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Maybe this is one of the reasons the 70-200 III only got coatings and a paint job. I can imagine developing all of this new gear over the last several years would take a lot of time and resources - it may have made more sense to just do a refresh of the 70-200 (considering how good it still is) when you're developing all of this behind the scenes.

Or maybe part of the refresh was making it more compatible with the mirrorless AF system?

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

PureClassA

CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com

Granted, yes. However, this is still a stills camera first (at least all indication), so a PL mount would be a bit oddball even if it has robust cinema features. You generally see PL mounted glass on bigger bodies like black magic URSA mini sized or Canon C line sized and bigger. We're talking about a body here that is smaller than a 6D

Upvote 0