Here’s the full list of gear Canon will announce on September 5

Sibir Lupus

EOS M6 Mark II + EOS M200
Feb 4, 2015

Holy $#^%@!!!!! O_O

It looks like they go the body right for sure (large grip, large EFV, etc), and a tilty flippy screen! :D Sadly no native EF mount, but the adapters look thinner then the EF-M-EF adapter. Confirmed RF macro lens along with 3 RF L lenses for launch. This is getting very exciting!!!!!!! :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Overall, sounds like 5DMkIV mirrorless. But the sensor is slightly larger (30.3 vs 30.1)

Dust-proof and waterproof?
Obviously no IBIS.
No joystick but a mysterious multifunction bar.
Adapter with drop-in filters isn't really sexy, but not too bad. I'm not sure if you can rotate a polariser. What exactly does the control ring control?
Articulating screen!

Overall, no IBIS is bad, but with the lenses it still looks very strong against what Nikon offers.

Upvote 0
Oh, I agree...that’s why I added the bit about not saying who was sitting down to eat... :)
(In fact, even though he wasn’t initially invited, I think the most likely dining guest is AvTvM/fullstop...and he’ll need at least three servings, if not a full murder.)
I don't know who that is but...ooops
canon_8.jpg

:ROFLMAO:

I think you'll be needing these. just give me your paypay ;)
Two-Dollars.jpg

Upvote 0
Aug 30, 2018
Overall, sounds like 5DMkIV mirrorless. But the sensor is slightly larger (30.3 vs 30.1)

Dust-proof and waterproof?
Obviously no IBIS.
No joystick but a mysterious multifunction bar.
Adapter with drop-in filters isn't really sexy, but not too bad. I'm not sure if you can rotate a polariser. What exactly does the control ring control?
Articulating screen!

Overall, no IBIS is bad, but with the lenses it still looks very strong against what Nikon offers.

Control ring is probably a customizable ring to control a parameter of choice such as exposure compensation, ISO, aperture etc.; each lens has one of these too. So you can do this with adapted EF lenses too. Samsung had that function on their Mirrorless lenses and Nikon has a limited version on the Zs.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

hmatthes

EOS-R, RF and EF Lenses of all types.
1/8000, ISO to at least 40,000, Mfn button by main button, great top LCD, but no focus nubbin on back?
The Achilles heal of the 6D series is focus point choosing without a joystick — and Canon continues this mistake while A7III and Z6 do not.
But look at the size reduction in the 24-105 lenses!
I’m excited for their first offering and will upgrade as needed.

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
1/8000, ISO to at least 40,000, Mfn button by main button, great top LCD, but no focus nubbin on back?
The Achilles heal of the 6D series is focus point choosing without a joystick — and Canon continues this mistake while A7III and Z6 do not.
But look at the size reduction in the 24-105 lenses!
I’m excited for their first offering and will upgrade as needed.

The LCD touch screen can be used as a trackpad. I really liked that on Canon M5. It is lot more easier that using the joystick. One side is touching the LCD screen with nose or by mistake. One has to be little careful on that alone. Otherwise the trackpad is better in every way compared to the joystick.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
If fear this will be the case, the camera will be DOA for a lot of people if turns out this way. I really hope Canon steps up to the plate on this one.

Perhaps the 6DII got the older generation sensor (instead of 80D/5DIV generation with on-chip ADC) so there was more incentive to choose the EOS-R once they're both in the sales lineup.

Upvote 0
Caution was warranted. Huge news if true.

THIN MOUNT + ADAPTOR?!

View attachment 180014

Noon Japan time is a little under 4 hours from now. I'd be hitting refresh on Nokishita's Twitter feed around then.

- A

I had a feeling it would be a simple EF to EOS R adapter (like what Canon did with EF to EOS M). It's a little disappointing because I was really interested in how Canon might have allowed for both native EF and RF lenses. But...Ockham's razor, I figured...

On another note, huzzah for the articulating screen and ample grip-to-lens finger room!!! :p

Upvote 0
Looking at the adapters in the Nokishita picture, the knurled grip of the middle one would imply that it can be rotated. I'm guessing that's the polarizing filter version. The one on the right, I assume is the ND version. It's shape implies, to me, that perhaps the filter is removable for varying ND strength.

Perhaps this is obvious to everyone by now, though. I don't speak/read Japanese...

Upvote 0
Random-late-at-night thought: Is that shoulder screen an LCD, or do you think it could be E-Ink (like Kindle reader)?

Probably not, but it would be kinda cool. :cool:

Other-random-thoughts:
  • Damn. That size comparison with the DSLR, including 24-105 lens, is pretty incredible.
  • So looking forward to sample images from the 28-70 F2!
  • Think it'll do finger-swipe viewfinder AF selection? I don't see why not. If so, that could make up for no joystick...
Can't wait to see the official specs next week!

Fun, fun, fun...

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
i still believe it will take a simple adapter. Canon will not miss out ion the "small body option" :)
I don’t often agree with fullstop (well actually never) but I do agree here. Personally I think that one of the appeals of mirrorless is the smaller and slimmer body profile, and there’s no way I can see Canon produce a FF mirrorless that has the same girth as a dslr.

Is it possible that the “sexy” solution to the flange distance adapter could be that it’s built into the camera: to use an EF lens you press a release button on the body and by twisting the mount itself it cams outwards and locks into the new, outer position ? I’m sure it would still be possible engineering-wise to keep this strong, lightproof and weather proof.

Upvote 0